Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott 641 Fit Questions

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
@Kale I think it looks good.

If you size down you may find it does some flaring out behind the shoulders especially when you have it zipped. If you never plan to zip it up, could make for a cleaner look to size down. No easy answers, but your preference can guide the way :)

Here’s my 141 worn unzipped in a trim 38 (or 40 in 641). I was always conscious of the bat wing effect from the gussets, which is only enhanced by the underarm footballs. It wasn’t too bad when unzipped but I didn’t like to wear it zipped up.
View attachment 402644
View attachment 402642
View attachment 402643 View attachment 402641
exactly this. It was my fault for buying this style (really before I understood what a gusset was, etc.. On the 141, it's borderline full action back which I think is the main issue vs. a tighter Aero style shoulder gusset). But I could never get past the side silhouette. Loved it from the front, but there were too many converging lines from the side.

First I had a guy sew up the gusset almost all the way to the top. That alone completely changed the jacket silhouette. But then I got greedy and asked for him to recut the torso. He completely nailed the redesign, but he redid the gussets and left stitch holes behind. With some wears and hot waxing and other vodoo stuff, they're mostly unnoticeable now, but I pretty much ruined an $800 jacket + tailoring costs because I wanted a clean Buco style and didn't realize it LOL.

calvin006

New in Town
To the OP: I'm pretty much the same size as you and I have a 641HH in size 34. I purposefully sized down to get a slim and trim fit. The waist is certainly trim (I'm also a 28/29 in jeans) as it takes a bit of effort to zip it up, but once zipped it feels comfortable and there's a flattering V shape to the cut. I've also had the jacket for 8 years so it's well broken in. I remember it was a bit tight and stiff at first.

Something I didn't really consider at the time of purchase but I'm more aware of now is that this is a functional riding jacket. So the low arms, underarm footballs, and full bi-swing back allow for movement of the arms when riding. But this makes the jacket less trim fitting. Sizing down will not change these other aspects of the design. So if you're going for a super trim fashion look, then something like an Aero Board Racer or one of the Schott fashion jackets may be what you're looking for.

At the same time, noticing the Iron Maiden shirt, I assume you're something of a rocker. Me, too. And one thing I like about this jacket (compared to other cafe racers) is the riding design has a certain toughness to the look. Still, I don't ride and I've noticed my 641HH fitting looser in the shoulders and arms as the bi-swing back opens up from years of use.. So I've recently decided to get a bespoke cross zip from Field Leathers. This will be a trim fitting fashion jacket, but being a cross zip with epaulets, belt, etc, it will have that riding jacket look. Just my journey.

I agree with others that the fit of the 36 looks good. It's just a matter of what you're going for. I think you could certainly size down and it would fit, just be aware that it may be quite snug when zipped. Unzipped it should be fine.

RedWolf

New in Town
@Aloysius Wow, that transformation is night and day. I can see the grain coming through! Does the horsehide ever soften up like the 141 might?

@RedWolf Weird question - does your 641 have the lower map pocket? Strangely enough mine is missing it lol.

Nope. No map pocket. There is a pocket on the cold weather liner but not the jacket itself.

Kale

New in Town
Overall, I'm more confident about this jacket today than I was a few days ago tbh. But it's always good to have options on the table. I'll try the smallest 141 they've got haha. And ask about the Caf1 too - entirely glossed over that one somehow.

I'd definitely try the Board Racer but the process of selling it if it didn't work out requires a patience I might not have :)

Kale

New in Town
@Mrfrown I think the 641's running a little longer on me than your guys' examples. Which for casual wear, unzipped, could still work. Rn I have room to layer, the fit seems slim/not too boxy, and there's the removable liner. Not a bad choice imo.

@calvin006 Oh you got the horsehide one, very cool. The 641's definitely the one that I was drawn to, from the cafe racers, and it's a matter of accepting the underarm footballs is just part of the jacket. Function over form, which is kind of cool in itself. Going off your experience I probably won't size down in the 641 then - 36 it is!

Thank you guys for all the tips btw, lots of details to consider in this hobby :)

Last edited:

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@Mrfrown I think the 641's running a little longer on me than your guys' examples. Which for casual wear, unzipped, could still work. Rn I have room to layer, the fit seems slim/not too boxy, and there's the removable liner. Not a bad choice imo.

@calvin006 Oh you got the horsehide one, very cool. The 641's definitely the one that I was drawn to, from the cafe racers, and it's a matter of accepting the underarm footballs is just part of the jacket. Function over form, which is kind of cool in itself. Going off your experience I probably won't size down in the 641 then - 36 it is!

Thanks you guys for all the tips btw, lots of details to consider in this hobby :)

Yeah have fun and enjoy your jacket!

For what it’s worth I’m 5’9” and the length from seam at base of collar on back to the bottom hem was 25”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk