Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott CHP horse

^^^ And no one ever seems to complain about small, fragile zippers being sewn into the Schott jackets.

Literally all of the Schott jackets I've owned had very beefy zips. Not saying they don't use smaller ones, but I've easily owned a dozen or more and they never lacked a good zip.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, there was a problem a few years ago with a batch of Talon repros that weren't apparently so great, which affected several manufacturers. Size-wise, though, it's purely a personal preference. I like a smaller zip that looks 'correct' in a repro jacket. The 618 I have is very muh a modern jacket, but while slightly bigger, the zips aren't absurd looking the way you see in some seventies era bike jackets, or on the old 'Iron Heart by Aero' jackets where they were so oversized as to be comical. Still, if you're not worried about how it looks and want to be able to fumble it shut with gloves on, I can certain see the attraction of a larger zipper. Schott seem to have found a very comfortable middle ground that still looks good. FWIW, the only jacket I ever had a problem with was a jacket which was just too damn small for me round the middle. Otherwise never ap roblem with thezips, whatever the size. [huh]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"This jacket has shrunk exactly where my waist used to be, I must write and complain to the maker. Now where did I put my oranges..."

IXL

One Too Many
I think he may have been talking about some Aero jackets that came with small zippers.

Bingo!! There have been quite a few people posting of the constant problems they've suffered because of too-small and fragile zippers. One poster stated he was "stuck" in his jacket for some time, as the zipper separated at the bottom and split up to his throat, trapping him in the very heavy-leather garment.
There have even been threads concerning the "proper method" of zipping an Aero, because otherwise the zippers will not hold and might break.
People have posted that they complained to Aero about the tiny zippers, but to no avail.
I am aware that most folks have no problems with Aero jackets and I plan to own some myself, but my point was that I know of no one ever to complain about similar problems related to Schott, of which I own several.

Arnold

One of the Regulars
I've worn the 125, which Schott killed last year, for many years as my main jacket (been through two specimen) and really like it despite it being a bit boxy and with ridiculously wide upper arms. I wouldn't say I "love" the 125 cut, but it's close. Now this new one, which is closest to a 125 replacement - terrible, it makes me shudder. I'm not a tailor and can't quite pinpoint the specific angles and spaces that "make" a certain look, but just glancing at the photos on Schott's pages (they have two, a product intro and the sales page) it screams "anorexic, hipster, youth, new-fashioned". It looks way too long for a serious MC jacket that doesn't fan out at the bottom, and I don't just mean the extended back here (I like extended backs, actually). The lack of forward extension features in the shoulders or back supports that (I guess you may ride a Vespa easily with this one, but something heavier, hm...). Finally the lacing and the thinly, too long belt loops look like a child's drawing of the lacing and loops in any post-1980 model 125 (the lacing did look terribly coarse in some older 125s and ancestors). Why revert to an old mistake? Wait, I got it, that's what hipsters do.

It's too bad, the burgundy leather looks really cool to me and maybe at a regular Schott price I'd have given the hipster fashion a try - can't hurt to risk something long as it's resellable ^^ - but at that price I'll always keep my longterm LW desires priority.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran