Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Navy Peacoat 740N

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Peacoat

Bartender
Might be an excellent coat, but I have heard some quality complaints about them. Another complaint has been that they are oversized and boxy. But this one might fit like a glove. The comment below (taken from Schott's website) alone would give me pause:

"Our wool is 75 percent reprocessed wool, 25 percent nylon and other fibers."

If going civilian, you might look at the Sterlingwear offerings. They make the current issue peacoat. Or, for the best quality, go vintage.

bwc1976

New in Town
I love mine, it does feel a little oversized and boxy but it's hard to find anything that fits my huge tummy. I still hope to get a vintage USN model after I lose some weight.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I don't like mine very much and hardly ever wear it. The sleeves are barely long enough for me, but I had to size up a bit to make it work, and the cut is very roomy to begin with. I had it altered and my tailor did the best job possible, but it still doesn't fit right. I suppose a vintage issued model would be much better in quality and fit.

mihai

A-List Customer
A bit disappointed about the Schott 740n peacoat.
I got a slightly used one size 46 from eBay (perhaps is at most 10 years old). I love its quality, thickness of fabric, the classic cut.
Liking it I bought another Schott 740n size 44 shortly after, also from eBay. This time it was brand new with tags attached. But surprise, the material of this (likely recently produced) one is definitely thinner, lighter in weight, though on their web-site is still mentioned 32 oz. Because the material is a lighter weight is does not fit properly as the old one and it wrinkles making it look kind of cheap. Another strange thing is although the old one is marked 46 and the new one is 44 they have the same measurements. I am somewhere in between 44 and 46 so I tend to believe that the old one was correctly sized(as it fits me right with just a little room to place a sweater underneath). The new one is oversized (no way a 44) and does not fit right because of lighter material.

I am not sure how common is this kind of drop in quality for Schott but I am disappointed. I get the feeling that despite all their marketing claims most of the companies are producing lately for some reason lower quality goods than they used to in the past. At least the materials are more flimsy and not that consistent.
After this experience for me it won't be another new Schott 740n. As for their other products I am not too convinced either given the above.

cuthbert

One of the Regulars
I head the slim fit pea coat is better and as a matter of fact I'm thinking about getting one.

Sonero

Practically Family
New 740s have different buttons matte in color and feeling more like plastic than metal. I am disappointed. Pic shows new buttons next to older buttons on the right. Sad. Still great coat but the different buttons loses the authenticity of the garment IMO.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20211213_110701.jpg
    thumbnail_20211213_110701.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 283
  • thumbnail_20211213_110716.jpg
    thumbnail_20211213_110716.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 270

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran