Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Perfecto 618

Edward

Bartender
Query for the knowledgeable MC Jacketheads on here....

I'm soon to be selling my Aero MC jacket. I've had it for a couple of years, worn it maybe twice, and have had to accept that the particular cut just isn't right for me (it's neater on the waist than my 30s Halfbelt - noticeably so!). Gutted - it's a beautiful jacket in Aero's steer, gorgeous hide. Anyhow. Here's the deal... Funds are not unlimited, and eventually I'd like to sink some money into a serious Aero D-Pocket style most likely the J106, assuming that the fit is correct for me). For sentimental reasons, I really still want to have a Perfecto style with shiny chrome fittings (the Aero I'll be getting in black, but with shiny brass). Having given it a lot of consideration, I'd rather save a bit of money on the Perfecto style and put that towards other, rarer designs in Aero...This being the case, I'm considering alternative options which will require little more in the way of funding that what I will sell my Aero for. This means that a serious contender is, well.... the actual Perfecto. In particular, I'm looking at the 618...

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fit/fitted/classic-perfecto-steerhide-leather-motorcycle.htm

I'd welcome steer as an option (I like the hide - the Aero wouldn't be going if it fitted me). In terms of features, the "downgrade" to me is the nylon lining rather than drill cotton, but again considering what I want in this jacket, that's not a dealbreaker. More of an issue with the hide - are Schott still using felt backing on their hides? Was that ever done with the steer, or only the horse?

Also - any advice on sizing? I'm about a 42.5-43" chest, fully inhaled. Usually like a jacket to be 46"-47" round the chest at armpit level, 20" on the shoulders, and 40" on the waist would be grand. I've seen conflicting information on the Schott sizing - some stuff I read seemed to suggest that their sizing related to the jacket itself, not the wearer - i.e. to get a jacket with 46" around, I'd have to order a size 46". Any comment on that? Is the length comparable to a Thirties Halfbelt?

I'm aware this is a different beast than the Aero in a number of respects, but all things considered, I'm looking to spend a bit less on this. It's not unlike my Indy jacket I opted for a Wested there knowing they might not be the very best available, but wanting to come in at a lesser price point and with the use it'll get i mind. FWIW, it's unlikely I'll ever be on the back of a bike in whatever MC jacket I buy (much as I'm unlikely to be in the cockpit of a fighter plane in any of my A2s...).

If this replicates an existing thread, please let me know - I did hunt with both site search and Google, but couldn't find one....

Edward

Bartender
Thanks, I might check that out. I've had a hunt on the Schott site, though it does seem likely that the best thing I can do is go try one on. I should do, really.... I found on a web hunt that Silverman's (just up the road from me in the East End) has the 618 in steer for Gbp399 (current new price on the Aero is in the region of 600.... enough to make all the difference for me in this particular design). My Aero is a 42" size. Good fit across the shoulders on me, but just that touch too tight in the waist. I'd say if you were 34" in the waist it would be grand, but I'm around 38"... The 618 is an obvious inspiration for the Aero (according to Aero's site, they made the first one for the Brando as Strabler figure at Madame Tussauds). All told, I have no doubt the Aero is just a step up, but relative to what I'm after in this jacket, I just want to spend less this time and put limited funds towards something else instead.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
Here's a very nice biker jacket that is similar to the Buco. It does not bear the Schott label, but it is made by Schott, if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.legendaryusa.com/Legendary-Black-Stallion-Horsehide-Jacket-p/2400.htm. I am in the market for this jacket in my size. But then again, I ride a bike. I love Legendary's Black Stallion. Very sharp cut of horse, indeed.

If you don't ride, you might consider this jacket:
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/perfecto/lightweight-waxy-cowhide-fitted-motorcycle.htm

I have seen the lightweight perfectos break in very nicely indeed. They seem to break in faster and attain a vintage look quicker than the heavier HH or cow/steer hides. Plus, if you're not riding, sometimes it's nice to have a lighter weight biker jacket.

The Perfecto is Schott at its best, although Langlitz might well be the first jacket maker to make this style jacket. Langlitz jackets are very heavy and very authentic. They are the "grizzly" to Schott's "black bear." Langlitz is very good at custom orders and could make a killer Buco style "D."

Lost Worlds also has a very interesting "D" that radiates all things vintage. http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Horsehide_Leather_Motorcycle_Jacket_Buco_Rider.htm

Peacoat

Bartender
To answer your questions about hides: I think the HH was the only hide Schott used the felt backing on. It is my understanding that practice has now been discontinued. The Schott cowhide is not as thick as the Vanson, Aero or the thick Johnson Leathers hide, but it is a respectable hide for motorcycle riding. As long as you aren't looking for Aero or Vanson thickness, I think you would be happy with the jacket. And yes, Gail is usually quick to answer questions on the Schott site.

garzo

One of the Regulars
You can't go wrong with Schott. I'm a big Schott fan. You can't really compare them with Aero as they're really two totally different animals. I own a Schott 118 size 46, which is supposedly the more modern version compared to the 618. It's not too short at the waist -- something that I like -- and not too baggy in the body and the sleeves fall perfectly -- a bit long like I like them. Schott's naked cowhide is great too -- thick and tough but buttery soft. The 618 is the stiffer steerhide, I believe, but it's nowhere near as stiff as Aero's horsehide or heavy steerhide.

Edward

Bartender
Here's a very nice biker jacket that is similar to the Buco. It does not bear the Schott label, but it is made by Schott, if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.legendaryusa.com/Legendary-Black-Stallion-Horsehide-Jacket-p/2400.htm. I am in the market for this jacket in my size. But then again, I ride a bike. I love Legendary's Black Stallion. Very sharp cut of horse, indeed.

If you don't ride, you might consider this jacket:
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/perfecto/lightweight-waxy-cowhide-fitted-motorcycle.htm

I have seen the lightweight perfectos break in very nicely indeed. They seem to break in faster and attain a vintage look quicker than the heavier HH or cow/steer hides. Plus, if you're not riding, sometimes it's nice to have a lighter weight biker jacket.

The Perfecto is Schott at its best, although Langlitz might well be the first jacket maker to make this style jacket. Langlitz jackets are very heavy and very authentic. They are the "grizzly" to Schott's "black bear." Langlitz is very good at custom orders and could make a killer Buco style "D."

Lost Worlds also has a very interesting "D" that radiates all things vintage. http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Horsehide_Leather_Motorcycle_Jacket_Buco_Rider.htm

Nice jackets.... I'll eventually go for a D style from Aero, but sticking to the Perfecto style for this notion. I'm not stuck on it being a Schott, though. Definitely will have a look around. Thanks.

To answer your questions about hides: I think the HH was the only hide Schott used the felt backing on. It is my understanding that practice has now been discontinued. The Schott cowhide is not as thick as the Vanson, Aero or the thick Johnson Leathers hide, but it is a respectable hide for motorcycle riding. As long as you aren't looking for Aero or Vanson thickness, I think you would be happy with the jacket. And yes, Gail is usually quick to answer questions on the Schott site.

Sounds like I really need to have a look at one in person.

You can't go wrong with Schott. I'm a big Schott fan. You can't really compare them with Aero as they're really two totally different animals. I own a Schott 118 size 46, which is supposedly the more modern version compared to the 618. It's not too short at the waist -- something that I like -- and not too baggy in the body and the sleeves fall perfectly -- a bit long like I like them. Schott's naked cowhide is great too -- thick and tough but buttery soft. The 618 is the stiffer steerhide, I believe, but it's nowhere near as stiff as Aero's horsehide or heavy steerhide.

From what I gather it's probably quite similar to the mid-weight steer of my apprentice-made highwayman, which would be ideal. Definitely need to go try one on...

IXL

One Too Many
Edward, you can just call Schott directly and speak to Gail, but I believe she is only working mornings now. She can be quite helpful as one navigates through the variety of "sizing systems" Schott uses on different jackets.

AtlantaSpike

Familiar Face
I am looking for something for motorcycle use as well - after spending weeks sorting through things, I think the brown legendary HH is looking like the winner - at $629 and free shipping, it seems to have the best all around feature-set and price, barring a used Aero coming up for sale.

IXL

One Too Many
I am looking for something for motorcycle use as well - after spending weeks sorting through things, I think the brown legendary HH is looking like the winner - at $629 and free shipping, it seems to have the best all around feature-set and price, barring a used Aero coming up for sale.

I have this same jacket, also in brown. It is much stiffer than the Schott #118. It will pretty much stand up on its own. I enjoy it a great deal, and the D-pocket is very handy. Get a lot of compliments while wearing this jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles