Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
So which tanneries offer as good or better product than Shinki? I'll start off by saying Ogawa for cordovan leather.
Ogawa actually gets their shell from Shinki and then they dye it themselves. I know this from people in Japan and the fact that Ogawa advertises this fact on their website.

So what you're saying is essentially that Shinki is better than Shinki (it's just dyed by someone else.)

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@diabel , at the top end, tanneries are like wine, they each have their "flavour". The idea is to sample as much as you can so you can become a "sommelier" of leather :)

Don't forget, that not only you have tanning, but you have ingredients as well... it doesn't just stop at Cow and horse, you have goat, deer, elk, moose, camel, kudu... and the list goes on.

Just have fun and try as much as you can or have the appetite for, it is a buffet :D

Edward

Bartender
@diabel , at the top end, tanneries are like wine, they each have their "flavour". The idea is to sample as much as you can so you can become a "sommelier" of leather :)

Don't forget, that not only you have tanning, but you have ingredients as well... it doesn't just stop at Cow and horse, you have goat, deer, elk, moose, camel, kudu... and the list goes on.

Just have fun and try as much as you can or have the appetite for, it is a buffet :D

Indeed. With leather itself, as long as it's tanned well enough not to rot, it's all subjective. It's very difficult and quite possibly impossible to definitively, objectively say any one specific animal type from one specific tannery in one specific colour is in any way superior to another, unless putting a whole host of specific, subjective criteria to it... then we're basically arguing over what is best, a 65 Mustang or a 48 V8 Pilot.

diabel

Familiar Face
Ogawa actually gets their shell from Shinki and then they dye it themselves. I know this from people in Japan and the fact that Ogawa advertises this fact on their website.

So what you're saying is essentially that Shinki is better than Shinki (it's just dyed by someone else.)
I wasn’t aware that ogawa gets their hide from Shinki. Is it processed in some way before ogawa gets it or just raw?

Hebgen

New in Town
Looks great. Ideal black jacket for the 1 jacket kind of guy. I have the CXL version of this jacket, the P663, and had to get sleeves shortened & slimmed post which it fits real nice. Sleeves appear similarly long on this one as well, may want to check with Jerri/Denise for sizing sheet before putting in the 1.4 grand
Never seen shinki leather in person, but it really looks fab

View attachment 281235

My P653 is very similar to your jacket here. I definitely could use some slimmer sleeves and cuffs. Can you recommend the shop that did yours?

dannyk

One Too Many
My P653 is very similar to your jacket here. I definitely could use some slimmer sleeves and cuffs. Can you recommend the shop that did yours?
Prior here who have used Dena rave about her work. I forget her name and email off the top of my head. But I’m sure others will chime in shorty with that info for you.

Hebgen

New in Town
While there appears to be almost no consensus on what leather is top-notch or who makes a good jacket...

It definitely looks like there’s a nice bit of consensus with who to have do an alteration!

Thanks everyone

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While there appears to be almost no consensus on what leather is top-notch or who makes a good jacket...

It definitely looks like there’s a nice bit of consensus with who to have do an alteration!

Thanks everyone

Pretty much, most of the leathers discussed here are top notch :)

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Since we're talking about Shell Cordovan as well: I own 3 pairs of Alden shells (Horween Shell, one black and two no.8, price 800-900$) and a pair of Meermins (Shinki Shell, dark brown, price 500$). I know that at least part of the price difference can be explained by fabrication costs (US vs China), better materials such as lining, sole, lace, attention to finishing details and "brand tax". Based only on the pairs I have I'd choose Horween Shell over Shinki Shell without a doubt; thicker and sturdier leather, much better colour depth and much less sensitive; an application of a tiny bit of Saphir Renovateur stained and damaged the Shinki (see photo below).
I'm saying again that this observation is made only for the pairs I have; Meermin is a low-cost company so maybe they don't use the best Shinki Shell available.
20201120_190447.jpg 20201120_190503.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I wasn’t aware that ogawa gets their hide from Shinki. Is it processed in some way before ogawa gets it or just raw?
That's a good question. I am not sure. I know it is tanned by Shinki, but I don't know how much further Shinki takes the process vs. Ogawa. From their website, it looks like Ogawa is saying that they first degrease the shells before dying, so they do some work to the shell before dying.

GW KY

Practically Family
Just got my medium schott shinki.

Pretty leather, shoulder and length perfect

Chest a bit roomy, and sleeves are as well, i like a bit more firm fit.

The neck and collar sit up high as well, not settled down, something I have found other times with schott.

Probably send back unfortunately, but gonna sleep on it and look again tomorrow

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Just got my medium schott shinki.

Pretty leather, shoulder and length perfect

Chest a bit roomy, and sleeves are as well, i like a bit more firm fit.

The neck and collar sit up high as well, not settled down, something I have found other times with schott.

Probably send back unfortunately, but gonna sleep on it and look again tomorrow
I wonder if you could share some fit pics before you send it back, or keep it :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko