Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a little late on the Aero, Schott comparison. Around here, Schott mostly plays second fiddle to Aero for the most part.

How many documented zipper failures on the Aero compared to zipper failures on the Schott?

Schotts seem to "get ridden hard and put away wet" in the real world. I would say more people "use" their perfectos than other brands. Many perfectos have survived bar fights, mosh pits, and motorcycle mishaps. I see more patches and pins on them than the other brands combined.

Perfectos are high mileage workhorses. Tons of 50 to 60 year old examples out there. Schotts are battle tested.
I doubt zipper failure can be taken into account since Aero would most likely be happy to fit their jackets with a big nickel zipper Talon or YKK or other brands similar to those used by Schott. I know quite a few people who would not want those big pull and big teeth on their vintage style repro jackets and would take their chance with the brass bell shaped talon repros.

Edward

Bartender
I doubt zipper failure can be taken into account since Aero would most likely be happy to fit their jackets with a big nickel zipper Talon or YKK or other brands similar to those used by Schott. I know quite a few people who would not want those big pull and big teeth on their vintage style repro jackets and would take their chance with the brass bell shaped talon repros.

There was a bad batch of Talons a few years ago that hit several makers. I've never had a problem zip on my Aero's that was down to the (had an issue with a Talon repro that was down to me being too big for the jacket, which is a different thing). TBH, if YKK did a pull that was something akin to the Talon shape and size, I'd be perfectly happy with it. The brass YKK zipper in my Wrangler 13 MWZs is a thing of beauty both in function and form. My 618's YKKs are ok, though I'm not such a fan of the big square puller. Not too huge, though.... I've handled many British bike jackets from the 70s and eighties with comically large zips and they look ridiculous to me. Like the first run of IH jackers done with Will when he was still at Aero - looked like about a size 15 or something....

El Marro

I doubt zipper failure can be taken into account since Aero would most likely be happy to fit their jackets with a big nickel zipper Talon or YKK or other brands similar to those used by Schott.
You are absolutely wrong about that. Aero refuses to use larger zippers despite customer request because they feel it goes against the period look they are going for.

El Marro

I am happy to hear that. The modern zipper on my Schott 1928H is the only thing I dislike.
I completely understand your point of view and I am of two minds about this myself. I agree that Aero jackets look great with their smaller zippers but as someone who has experienced zipper failure a few times now (only once on an Aero) I now place function before form.
That’s not to say that I want a beefy #10 on all my jackets, rather I want a riri or a YKK that is large enough to perform flawlessly without me having to think twice about it.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ the #10 ykk 2 way zipper I have on the cxl jacket really does the job, I am not afraid the pull will come off at all but is it clunky

You are absolutely wrong about that. Aero refuses to use larger zippers despite customer request because they feel it goes against the period look they are going for.

Yep. They won’t even put a big(ger) Talon on the jacket. Has nothing to do with Aero not wanting modern zips. They refuse larger zips, regardless of era. And what do you know, mine failed miserably.

While I totally understand the desire for period correctness, I move around and stress my jackets quite a bit. And rely on my jackets for protection. I need a large, functional zipper that I can trust. YKK fits the bill. And they do make good looking pulls, they just aren’t often stocked.

I just stumbled upon this. Fun read. Of course nothing happened to Schott.

http://trueladydesigns.weebly.com/b...cto-leather-jacket-left-outside-for-two-years

7840387_orig.jpg

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Just got my medium schott shinki.

Pretty leather, shoulder and length perfect

Chest a bit roomy, and sleeves are as well, i like a bit more firm fit.

The neck and collar sit up high as well, not settled down, something I have found other times with schott.

Probably send back unfortunately, but gonna sleep on it and look again tomorrow

Did you ever decide upon this jacket?

Hebgen

New in Town
My Schott x Shinki arrived today and it smells great! The jacket looks very well made aside from previous conversation about "non square" pockets ;)

I inspected the seams and the leather and overall I think the quality is there although I've not owned some of the fancier brands here (just Vanson, Schott, and Langlitz). I suppose we could argue that it's not a custom and for the price you can purchase some MTO (but probably not bespoke).

Anyway..... it's going back. WHAT you say? Pray tell WHY?

Well I ordered a Large jacket and apparently I'm eXtra Large. This thing is way to snug on me. Too bad.

If anyone is trying to use the Schott tool fitting tool, for the record I'm about 5'8" and 205ish lbs. 45" chest and a boxy 40" waist.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
My Schott x Shinki arrived today and it smells great! The jacket looks very well made aside from previous conversation about "non square" pockets ;)

I inspected the seams and the leather and overall I think the quality is there although I've not owned some of the fancier brands here (just Vanson, Schott, and Langlitz). I suppose we could argue that it's not a custom and for the price you can purchase some MTO (but probably not bespoke).

Anyway..... it's going back. WHAT you say? Pray tell WHY?

Well I ordered a Large jacket and apparently I'm eXtra Large. This thing is way to snug on me. Too bad.

If anyone is trying to use the Schott tool fitting tool, for the record I'm about 5'8" and 205ish lbs. 45" chest and a boxy 40" waist.

I’m curious, how does that work if they are all sold out?

Brandrea33

One Too Many
It means I don’t get the jacket unless someone returns an XL.

edited to add: or I can lose 25 pounds...

I wanted to buy the XL in the first place, but they were already sold out. So I gambled on buying the large. Unfortunately it didn’t pan out.

I hope the return works out for you and they have an XL. I’m interested in the large size but I’d like to buy it from Schott to avoid having to sell it privately.

Edward

Bartender
. YKK fits the bill. And they do make good looking pulls, they just aren’t often stocked.

Always thought that was a shame; I've seen their range and, as you note, they do some great looking pullers that are vastly nicer than the big square one. I'd love to see more alternatives; while I've never had a problem with a Talon, the YKKs I've never had a problem with either.

Mojo-6

New in Town
Hey guys -- So here's my tale of woe with this jacket. Got the email from Schott promoting it. It was the style I had been thinking about, and the Shinki mystique kind of closed the deal for me, so I ordered it (size small). When it arrived, the leather quality looked pretty amazing, and I could not believe how well it fit. However, I noticed some puckering around the right shoulder seam (front side -- pics below) that concerned me. It caused some slight creases in the front panel that I feared would get worse over time. I debated whether I was being too picky, but ended up deciding to send it back and exchanging it for another small. (I never bother to exchange stuff in situations like this, but for $1400, I felt like it should be close to perfect.) I chatted online with Denise at Schott, shared my concern, sent her pictures, and she agreed to tell someone to have a small set aside for me for the exchange (since these were on their way to selling out). I fedexed it out the next morning.
The second jacket arrived today. Guess what -- it's the same jacket, the one I returned. No doubt about it. Same issue with the right shoulder. Plus I did a poor job of reattaching the Schott paper label to the zipper pull -- I recognized my handiwork.
The question is, now what. I'm genuinely not sure what I'm going to do yet. Part of my reaction is to want others to be aware of my experience, which is why I'm sharing it here (another thing that I normally never do). I consider you guys to be "thought leaders" when it comes to leather, maybe even influencers, so it kind of feels good to be airing this to this community. I realize that this is just one anecdote, one unfortunate data point among many positive ones related to Schott, but I almost feel like I'm fulfilling a duty by documenting it here.
Part of me is seriously considering keeping the jacket. I showed it to my daughter today and she didn't even notice the issue. It's really only pronounced in certain lighting conditions and arm positions, and there's a decent chance that if I just committed myself to wearing the heck out of it and breaking it in, I'd end up really enjoying it. I do love the fit and the leather. I'd welcome any opinions on whether you think the creases I'm seeing are something to be concerned about in the long term.
two.jpg
three.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys -- So here's my tale of woe with this jacket. Got the email from Schott promoting it. It was the style I had been thinking about, and the Shinki mystique kind of closed the deal for me, so I ordered it (size small). When it arrived, the leather quality looked pretty amazing, and I could not believe how well it fit. However, I noticed some puckering around the right shoulder seam (front side -- pics below) that concerned me. It caused some slight creases in the front panel that I feared would get worse over time. I debated whether I was being too picky, but ended up deciding to send it back and exchanging it for another small. (I never bother to exchange stuff in situations like this, but for $1400, I felt like it should be close to perfect.) I chatted online with Denise at Schott, shared my concern, sent her pictures, and she agreed to tell someone to have a small set aside for me for the exchange (since these were on their way to selling out). I fedexed it out the next morning.
The second jacket arrived today. Guess what -- it's the same jacket, the one I returned. No doubt about it. Same issue with the right shoulder. Plus I did a poor job of reattaching the Schott paper label to the zipper pull -- I recognized my handiwork.
The question is, now what. I'm genuinely not sure what I'm going to do yet. Part of my reaction is to want others to be aware of my experience, which is why I'm sharing it here (another thing that I normally never do). I consider you guys to be "thought leaders" when it comes to leather, maybe even influencers, so it kind of feels good to be airing this to this community. I realize that this is just one anecdote, one unfortunate data point among many positive ones related to Schott, but I almost feel like I'm fulfilling a duty by documenting it here.
Part of me is seriously considering keeping the jacket. I showed it to my daughter today and she didn't even notice the issue. It's really only pronounced in certain lighting conditions and arm positions, and there's a decent chance that if I just committed myself to wearing the heck out of it and breaking it in, I'd end up really enjoying it. I do love the fit and the leather. I'd welcome any opinions on whether you think the creases I'm seeing are something to be concerned about in the long term. View attachment 284180 View attachment 284181
Speaking from my own experience, now that you know it's there (and imo this is certainly not how it's supposed to be) you will be reminded of this flaw every time you wear this jacket. It can't be unseen. I think when spending this kind of money on a jacket, a jacket without major flaws is the least you should expect. I would return it if I were you.

El Marro

Welcome to the lounge Mojo-6! Hate to say it but I agree with Marc mndt on this 100%. Particularly when the flaw is on the front of the jacket, you will see it every time you look in the mirror.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I could live with the issue, but but I also agree with marc if bugs you now it will bug you forever. it’s also kinda strange that they sent you the same jacket back after you returned it..

Psant25

One Too Many
I have that issue with my aero. Has gotten better with time. That would have cost me an arm and a leg to return so I just wore the heck out of it.

i should also state if it was a stock jacket and I could have returned No questions I would have

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko