Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

SilverKast

New in Town
I'll echo others here, I'd also send that back. Not sure if they can repair it or not? Replacement seems unlikely given that they all seem sold out. I don't mind my XL so far, although my only issue is the fit in the waist is a little large. If I cinch up the buckles it's fine, but I don't really like cinching them up all the way as it seems to bunch up the leather too much for my tastes (my wife thinks I'm being super picky).

If I wear it with a heavier shirt or sweater the jacket fits nicely however, although it's a little stiff. I still really prefer the feel of my IronHeart as that leather is soooo much softer - although it's a really trim fit. Guess I'll just keep wearing it and see how it breaks in.

SilverKast

New in Town
That's interesting since one of the perks of Shinki hh should be its suppleness, no real break in required.

I wasn't aware of that. It's nice for sure, but if I compare the two coats the IronHeart is so much more comfortable it's not even funny. I like the Schott, and they're both supposed to be Shinki - but it's not the same that's for sure. However, if it ends up feeling like the Ironheart I may never take it off hehe.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would send that back, IMO if you let them get away with it you reenforce the notion that they can get away with selling poorly made jackets and poor attention to detail.
I would also refuse to pay for return shipping on the basis that you have already returned that screwed up jacket once and shouldn't have to return it twice.

I'm no stitching expert but to me it looks like both layers were not held flat against each other during stitching, imagine trying to stitch two bits of leather that are different lengths, but you kep the beginning and ends flush, the longer one will have to wrinkle to occupy the same length as the shorter one.
To me that's what it looks like.

Maybe @regius knows?

mojo, I’m afraid to say this is indeed a sewing error. It doesn’t really affect wearing and durability but just like Carlos said, there’s the thing called sleeve ease in pattern making, most of the time. Schott patterns have about 0.5 to 1” sleeve ease I’d think, based on my experiences, very typical fir leather. The ease means the circumference of the sleeve end (where it joins the body) is longer than the body hole/armhole. It’s is a delicate skill to “align” the two edges, it’s a matter of Distributing the longer edge along the shorter edge so the end result won’t look too clustered. I once made a sewing error using a new slippery leather and ended up just like this. My theory is that Shinki is a new leather for Schott workers and that person probably didn’t have much experience handling Schinki (Shinki is pretty slippery come to think of it). Aero would sell this jacket as Blue Label. But Schott obviously doesn’t have a Blue Label.

Aloysius

One such 613 I won't ever quit regretting selling. Dude that sold it to me told me it's been to about 100 punk rock concerts and look at it.

You could tell the jacket's been thru just about everything, yet not a single stitch was out of place, let alone anything worse. I mean, freaking zipper tapes managed to fade to brown while the leather was intact.

SONY-DSC.jpg

Old thread that I came across while searching (not even TFL, Google) for something completely unrelated only I have to stop here to yell at Monitor for apparently acquiring Dee Dee or Johnny Ramone or Joan Jett's own jacket and selling it.

I hope at least you got a few thousand from some Japanese rock fan…

Old thread that I came across while searching (not even TFL, Google) for something completely unrelated only I have to stop here to yell at Monitor for apparently acquiring Dee Dee or Johnny Ramone or Joan Jett's own jacket and selling it.

I hope at least you got a few thousand from some Japanese rock fan…

I know... I never managed to forget that one. 613 in naked cow, something I've NEVER seen before.

I got $300 for it or something like that...

Aloysius

I know... I never managed to forget that one. 613 in naked cow, something I've NEVER seen before.

I got $300 for it or something like that...

There is someone here listing a generic modern Perfecto with no special qualities and literally rusted hardware (so probably the leather and stitches are rotting from mildew as well) for $500 and you sold a grail jacket for $300…

There is someone here listing a generic modern Perfecto with no special qualities and literally rusted hardware (so probably the leather and stitches are rotting from mildew as well) for $500 and you sold a grail jacket for $300…

That was years ago; It was a surprisingly good price for a Perfecto back then, one that easily matched jackets in a much better state but retrospectively, I had a gem on my hands without realizing it.
I'll just say I bought it filthy cheap and I never liked the way any other perfecto fit me as much as this particular jacket. If only I had at least learned the date of production or anything, so to at least try to hunt down another one but I wasn't really very smart back then, same as I am not really very smart now. . .

dannyk

One Too Many
I think the leather looks nice, the basic layout is ok…but I don’t like the dimensions and proportions of the layout if that makes sense. Just doesn’t catch my eye. Id move where the pockets lay. I’d keep the top lapel but shorten the bottom ones. And even though the stars are useless it’s a Schott it should have stars on the epaulets that don’t exist at all for some reason. . Lastly I don’t mind back seams I’m not a one piece back purist but this one just looks ugly to me.

I don't care for those side / back thin panels but then again, they do seem to do wonders for the shape of the jacket so I don't know, maybe it's okay. But it's too long, yeah. Actually, it's got that Zara shape so overall... I'd rather get that Japanese Shinki 613 or Fine Creek Leon for that matter.

There's a neat video with the jacket if you're subscribed to their mailing list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points