Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

Brandrea33

One Too Many
So what causes this issue? Is it a defect of sorts in the hide or how it was cut and fit and sown into the jacket?

Mojo-6

New in Town
I appreciate the points of view, guys. Just hearing about your experiences and opinions is helpful. I need to decide if can overlook the defect or not. Gonna think on it a day or two.

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
I'm no expert either but it looks like the hide had some shrinkage at the seam, as if it was pulled taut when being sewn, and then shrank. Or perhaps there was a crease in the hide or something.

Defect or not, 1400 should afford you something that makes you feel like a million bucks, and if it isn't satisfying you, return it. It may be absolutely normal, but you're clearly not satisfied so send it back.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I had a jacket that had some flaws that weren't even as bad as that puckering issue and as stated by others, it is something that you will never stop noticing. I would return it personally.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Definitely return, Schott return policy is quite generous. I had tags retained on one of mine and was stuck outside US due to COVID, they allowed return even after 4 months or so I think. Just drop a mail to Jerry/Denise and you are good to go

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I would send that back, IMO if you let them get away with it you reenforce the notion that they can get away with selling poorly made jackets and poor attention to detail.
I would also refuse to pay for return shipping on the basis that you have already returned that screwed up jacket once and shouldn't have to return it twice.

I'm no stitching expert but to me it looks like both layers were not held flat against each other during stitching, imagine trying to stitch two bits of leather that are different lengths, but you kep the beginning and ends flush, the longer one will have to wrinkle to occupy the same length as the shorter one.
To me that's what it looks like.

Maybe @regius knows?

Mojo-6

New in Town
Tried every mirror in the house in different lighting conditions. I’m sending it back. So disappointed. I could live with it if the problem was confined to the shoulder seam itself, but a side effect of the issue is that the chest panel does not lay flat. As many of you said, I’m pretty sure I would never stop being bothered by that.
I know that there are many other options out there that reliably deliver amazing jackets. Believe it or not, I kind of don’t want to give up on Schott just yet. I’m telling you, I don’t think I’ve ever tried on a jacket that felt as right as this one from a fit perspective. A fit like that is intoxicating. I’m tempted to try a Schott small in a similar style — maybe the P693.

Mojo-6

New in Town
I would send that back, IMO if you let them get away with it you reenforce the notion that they can get away with selling poorly made jackets and poor attention to detail.
I would also refuse to pay for return shipping on the basis that you have already returned that screwed up jacket once and shouldn't have to return it twice.

I'm no stitching expert but to me it looks like both layers were not held flat against each other during stitching, imagine trying to stitch two bits of leather that are different lengths, but you kep the beginning and ends flush, the longer one will have to wrinkle to occupy the same length as the shorter one.
To me that's what it looks like.

Maybe @regius knows?
Totally agree with your point about return shipping and intend to pursue that approach with Schott.

That doesn't look nice. It probably would even out to some extent but it'd take some time and for $1400, you ought to get a perfectly flawless jacket.

If you like the way it fits, why not insist they send you one without bunched stitching? Are they all out of this size?

Mojo-6

New in Town
That doesn't look nice. It probably would even out to some extent but it'd take some time and for $1400, you ought to get a perfectly flawless jacket.

If you like the way it fits, why not insist they send you one without bunched stitching? Are they all out of this size?
Yep, small was the last size to sell out. They were still selling smalls at the point at which they received my return, which is why I was hopeful they’d be able to do the exchange. That plus Denise said they would set one aside. Somebody screwed up somewhere along the line. I guess there’s a slim chance that they DID set a different one aside, and it’s still there. Unlikely though. I will certainly explore that possibility with them.

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
That has to go back period !! That jacket wouldn't even make a good second !!

Last edited:
Looks like the sleeve is too narrow for the armsyce/ armhole. The puckering is a result of trying to fit a larger diameter to a smaller one. Send it back post haste. That is unacceptable. At any price point.

Psant25

One Too Many
Here is an aero still there after broken in same spot. After the wait and what it would cost me to ship back was not worth it.
1F0CAAEE-31C6-492E-84F9-189F47880195.jpeg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At $1400, you have many interesting alternatives, even more with adding this issue to the equation, just return it and if you want we can help you find your perfect jacket :)
Hear hear!
I’m thinking Field Leathers could make you a perfectly constructed jacket that fit to your measurements and save you a couple hundred dollars at the same time

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can not add to what others have taken the time to express in detail about what is wrong with the jacket shoulder, but I will add I would return the jacket. You can do better with $1,400

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ