Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott x Shinki Jacket

Schott working with Shinki? It's more likely than you think. Gonna be hard for them to suck now. ;)

Great choice for a jacket, too. Good they didn't go with the cross zip for this. Looks really great, IMO but nevermind that, let the price tag complaints start rollin' in.

P673H_BLK_FNT_NEW1.jpg

P673H_MOD_11.jpg

P673H_MOD_21.jpg

P673H_DET21.jpg

Last edited:

marker2037

Practically Family
Saw that too. Kind of want to pull the trigger, but I will resist. Wife needs a Christmas gift too haha. I think it's pretty well executed to be honest and have no problem with the price tag.

Psant25

One Too Many
Looks great to me if I did not have a custom JL on the way I would be very tempted. Not usually a back center seam fan but this one works for me

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Looks great, agreed with OP that they were smart not to do the cross zip, a very modern design. Only 50 made, Shinki leather, Schott name, 1400 bucks, I don't see anything wrong with the price.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Saw this in my email as well. Looks really nice. But I've got enough Schotts in my closet already. And now having tried other brands, I find myself looking elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, my 118 is still my favorite and just love that gooey aniline leather on it. But I've had to hardcore tailor 2 jackets to get a decent fit and I've returned at least another 2 or 3 for similar issues. Don't think they're the best jacket for a more slim build. But man they're built solid. When I zip up with a size 10 and then go to my Aero, I'm like WTF.

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Looks great. Ideal black jacket for the 1 jacket kind of guy. I have the CXL version of this jacket, the P663, and had to get sleeves shortened & slimmed post which it fits real nice. Sleeves appear similarly long on this one as well, may want to check with Jerri/Denise for sizing sheet before putting in the 1.4 grand
Never seen shinki leather in person, but it really looks fab

IMG_20201116_210338.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
The center seam, its utility notwithstanding, ruins it for me.
Agreed. Really ruins the back of the jacket. The price isn't as horrible as I was expecting. Is it worth it? Not at all IMO, but given Schott's recent pricing, it's not as insane as I thought it would be. Still, look at how misaligned the stitching is on the chest pocket. Who would treat such wonderful leather so poorly?

I like 'em but if literal no-names in fashion like Real McCoy or Fine Creek, makers utterly devoid of a single original idea in their collective heads, are asking nearly $3K for their off-the-rack repros right now, Schott should've went for at least two grands just for their brand name alone, not to mention the original design, done in the exact same material as the other two.

If this Schott costs too much, then the king is naked after all and it's all been a big, fat joke.

Which it always has been.

SilverKast

New in Town
I picked up an XL version, I was looking for something similar so thought sure why not when I got the email. I'll compare it with my Ironheart IHJ-54 when I receive it, which is my only other leather coat (which I really like).

dannyk

One Too Many
I like 'em but if literal no-names in fashion like Real McCoy or Fine Creek, makers utterly devoid of a single original idea in their collective heads, are asking nearly $3K for their off-the-rack repros right now, Schott should've went for at least two grands just for their brand name alone, not to mention the original design, done in the exact same material as the other two.

If this Schott costs too much, then the king is naked after all and it's all been a big, fat joke.

Which it always has been.
I mostly agree. Now we know that the Japanese makers are for the most part amazing. They are great. But most of them have no heritage and have no provenance they just show up and charge a fortune. Most seem to be worth it, but if they can charge 1-3,000...why shouldn’t a company like Schott be able to charge what they charge? They have heritage and history and a name. Does it make any of it fair or right? Nope. I don’t think any jackets should be as expensive as the market has taken them these days. But the price is right in line and in fact cheaper than most Japanese brands. So even if the Schott jacket has a few minor flaws it’s 1,4000 I can go look right now and find a ton of Japanese jackets going for 2-2,5000 hundred. So they should be better if they are going to cost more.

I am probably wrong because I’ve never seen Shinki in person. To be fair I should probably have to handle the stuff. With that admission out of the way I don’t get the hype. No picture I’ve ever seen of any jacket has made me think it’s any better or cooler than any other top tier leather. Different for sure. They are all different. Horween makes a million different leathers and as does shinki or CF Stead so on and so on. It’s just different. But based solely on pictures nothing about it makes me get the hype. Maybe I’ll handle it in the future and change my mind, but to me it’s just another high end leather.

I picked up an XL version, I was looking for something similar so thought sure why not when I got the email. I'll compare it with my Ironheart IHJ-54 when I receive it, which is my only other leather coat (which I really like).

Please do! Looking forward to hearing more about this jacket.

why shouldn’t a company like Schott be able to charge what they charge? They have heritage and history and a name.

Exactly my point. And now that they got Shinki, they're putting hella lot more on the table than all the RMC's of the world. This isn't to say that the other makers are in any way inferior - still probably got better machining - just that the only thing we may have been pretending that's unique to whatever other maker and so totally worthy of paying literally whatever the price tag was, is now... Well, for all intents and purposes, lost.

If Schott makes a 613 in Shinki, what exactly am I giving Fine Creek money for? A dead on knock-off, since it's even made in the exact same leather? Why would I want that if I can have the original?

I am probably wrong because I’ve never seen Shinki in person. To be fair I should probably have to handle the stuff.

Shinki is great stuff but no leather jacket ought to cost as much as some do because of it, as proven by Schott right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot