Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotch Guard? Scout Felt Hat Protector?

Renault

One Too Many
Wish I had a nickel for everytime one of my hats got drenched. Sometimes it even washed out some unwanted funk/dirt/grease/cow patty of some kind. ;)

Worst storm I remember was the Christmas flood here back in 91. Had one horse up and die on me. She was well over 30 y o. Had to burn her in back pasture. Had cows on three different places. Had to haul food to em on foot. Water everywhere just like the old poem. I didn't think my old felt work hat would ever dry out. But it was well appreciated. I think I finally threw that old veteran away just the other day trying to clean up. It was pretty bad. But I got my money's worth out of it.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I think I finally threw that old veteran away just the other day trying to clean up. It was pretty bad. But I got my money's worth out of it.

As long as the felt is sound, it is economical to rebuild such hats. The old ones also have much better felt. I rebuilt an old favorite for a one-time working cowboy a while back. You would be amazed at what stains we can get out with a little work, and all the trim & sweat can be replaced. If it is sound & hasn't gone to the dump or landfill, grab it back out, rinse it off & PM me. I'll rebuild it for free (materials & shipping only) as a demonstration.

Renault

One Too Many
Thanks John. I really appreciate the offer. It was pretty well gone. Had to search thru the old house to find it. Bugs and mildew had hit it pretty bad. Looked like someone had shot it with a shotgun!!! It's been gone a while now.

It was a fitting end! Kind of its "Viking Funeral" with out the dog and fire!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
:(
I still have my first everyday hat... I could have done the same but I keeped it. Sadly it's way to expensive to send it to the US to get cleaned...

jmclfrsh

New in Town
Scotchguard new Akubras?

I recently purchased three new Akubras. I know they are waterproofed while being made, but is it a good idea (or a bad one) to lightly spray with Scotchguard as well, as an additional measure against rain and oil spotting from handling?

One for sure will be worn in the rain with a new rain suit. I do know not to spray the underside so steaming can still be accomplished.

Thanks!

I recently purchased three new Akubras. I know they are waterproofed while being made, but is it a good idea (or a bad one) to lightly spray with Scotchguard as well, as an additional measure against rain and oil spotting from handling?

One for sure will be worn in the rain with a new rain suit. I do know not to spray the underside so steaming can still be accomplished.

Thanks!

I've never treated an Akubra or other fur felt hat with Scotchguard. I have done many wool crushers.

jmclfrsh

New in Town
Thank you Sir. My post was moved to this thread after I posted it, and after reading this thread in its entirety, and your response just now, I'm sure glad I left them alone!

I did get rain protectors, one for each hat, and I'll take one with me when I take them camping so if I know it's gonna be a long day in them while raining at least they'll have some protection. But for brief showers or snow, sounds like I'm good the way they came from Akubra.

beetleything

Familiar Face
VERY wet here in the Pacific Northwest today !

Good day for fishes and ducks!

Some ideas -

LJyNgB6.jpg

BGDINO5.jpg

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I was wearing a Resistol 6x City Limits hat and was caught in a recent down pour. Each time I looked down, water ran off the hat as if I was pouring from a pitcher. I allowed this hat to dry at room temperature for a few days, applied stiffener and returned to wearing it. Only to be caught in another nice rain storm with the same hat on.
On neither occasion did I apply waterproofing agents. I have not applied any waterproofing agents to date, the only thing I have applied is stiffener, and the hat still has it's from the factory shape.
Just my two cents.

What color is this Resistol, WHW?

I ask because some dark-colored hats, even ones of reasonably good overall quality, have been known to bleed dye. I have a black Western cut down to somewhat more fedora-like dimensions which I've gotten wet on many an occasion and thoroughly drenched on a couple. The dye from the felt has bled into the lighter-colored band ribbon, and I'm pretty much okay with that. It is, after all, just a hat.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
What color is this Resistol, WHW?

I ask because some dark-colored hats, even ones of reasonably good overall quality, have been known to bleed dye. I have a black Western cut down to somewhat more fedora-like dimensions which I've gotten wet on many an occasion and thoroughly drenched on a couple. The dye from the felt has bled into the lighter-colored band ribbon, and I'm pretty much okay with that. It is, after all, just a hat.

The aforementioned hat is black. I did not notice any bleeding of the dye. There was no dye on my forehead, in my hair or on my coat. The hat has a self-band of black fur. The sweat band was absent of any dye as well. As hard as it was raining, the dye could have ran off when I tilted my head down or to the side and I was just unaware of it.

I have heard about hats bleeding dye after being soaked. All I can say is that I have not yet had this experience with this hat.

Walter Neff1940

One of the Regulars
Hello
I used this on my Dobbs Savoy and so far it had been great. It did not discolor, stain or stiffen the fur harm to the felt. No fiber is raised ro weakedned. There is no residue or any indication that anything was used except that water repels from the hat! I tested it by dropping water on the hat, it beaded up and rolled off leaving no stain!
Ron

Attachments

• can.jpg
    can.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 3,368
  • can1.jpg
    can1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,355

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Bickmore makes a hat spray that is to guard against rain. However if you use it be light and careful. It is some sticky stuff until it dries totally. Does it work? yes. Would I use it again? Only on a wool hat. I sprayed one of Daniel's old wool hats and it made a big difference. Can you see it on the hat? yes. The hat is a dark brown. The spray did absorb some into the hat, but there is a "clear" coat that you can see if you know what I mean.

Any other fur felt, geez, don't go out in a storm, use an umbrella or a rain guard hat cover, or get around to being able to shape and steam a hat if it gets wet and you need to shape/bash it.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
After reading through this thread I began to think I was crazy. I had been told countless times not to add anything to a fur felt hat (beaver or hare) for waterproofing. So as I read through this I see recommendations for this product, that product, and even hat covers.
So I became a bit concerned, have I just been ignorant and really run the risk of ruining my hats?
After a brief search, I have found solace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzai8JiNB6E

From Noggintops.com FAQ's page:
How water-repellent are felt hats?

A quality felt hat is VERY water-repellent. So much so that many manufacturers apply the word "waterproof" to the label. While we hesitate to use that term (we are sticklers for accuracy, so we reserve use of that term for fabrics that NEVER let water through), we will say that you will not find another material that is both as water-repellent AND as comfortable over a wide range of temperatures and conditions as quality fur or wool felt. In our experience, any of the felt hats we sell will, at a minimum, keep your head dry in a short downpour, a 2-hour steady rain, or an all-day drizzle. Water-repellent treatments--like our Scout Rain & Stain Repellant-- will extend these times. If you have questions about the water-repellency of a certain hat, just ask. Rainy days are looked upon as "field-testing opportunities" at Noggintops. (Actually, "field-testing opportunity" applies to any day I can get away with it! ;-)

Two hours of steady rain; well to me that means no waterproofing agent needed. I do not often find myself standing in the rain for two hours. Seeing that I bought the hat to shield from the elements, it will be worn. :)

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My first Stetson western 4X beaver bled dye when was very very wet in the UK. You could tell it was wet for days because it become heavy and never had the time to dry, it was my "umbrella". It only rained there once, it started when I arrived and stopped when I left. lol
I never got a hat so wet in Portugal (unless I was washing it).

bluesmandan

A-List Customer
Yes, fur felt will not get damaged by the rain, I know, but it's a small annoyance when it soaks in a little bit, or worse gets saturated, and then you have to dry it and shape it... I'd prefer to just have something you can put on it like the Scout or Bickmore spray and it sheds water better... then you don't have to dry the hat, because it's not wet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner