Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scotland!

Foofoogal

Banned
My Christmas present this year was a trip to Scotland. I just got back and was gone from the 4th to the 19th.
I would of never believed there was such a beautiful place with castles and such. Was able to go to Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
Enjoyed myself immensely but the weather is awful and not too fond of the bus and/or train service. I couldn't believe but there was no sun but maybe 2 days when I was there and it is dark by 3:30 in the afternoon.
Was able to pick up some nice things to sell and wondering if anyone on the board lives there or has gone. I am told it is not like this in the summertime with daylight up to about 11:00 in the evening. So very strange indeed. My fathers heritage was from there so really enjoyed the history.

Some of my highlights:
Crathes Castle
Edinburgh Castle
Cock and Bull Inn Ellon Road Blairton Balmedie AB23 8XY

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Scotland...

I'm about an hour from the centre of Edinburgh by train. If I'd known you were going to be there I'd have taken the train up to meet you and had a coffee and shown you some of the lovely old vintage shops near to the Castle.

Glad you had a nice time and send some sunshine over from the sunny states ;)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I couldn't believe but there was no sun but maybe 2 days when I was there and it is dark by 3:30 in the afternoon.

sounds like my neck of the woods! but at least we get light till.... 4ish! :rolleyes:

will you be posting pictures?

Foofoogal

Banned
I am sorry I missed you both. I did love it and had alot of fun. I tried to search for specific people from the area before I left on here but a daunting task. Looked under the where are you from thread. Maybe this thread could be broke down by countries to make it easier. Since I sell online and was out of the country I try to be discreet about my comings and goings so actually didn't know how to announce it to meet with anyone.
Sandy

Oh, I also forgot skink soup. Yummy!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I love Scotland--it feels like home, and I love the weather! I'm thinking of going back (third trip--maybe a meet-up can be planned?) in April, to visit a very dear friend. It's too bad you didn't get to see Glasgow! As much as I enjoyed walking up the wobbly streets of Edinburgh, Glasgow is my favorite, so warm and arty. :D

I've never heard of skink soup--fill me in? ;) Did you have any nice fry-ups or chippies?

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
sweetfrancaise said:
I love Scotland--it feels like home, and I love the weather! I'm thinking of going back

I couldn't agree more sweetfrancaise, right down to the last bit about going back for a third visit (I've been twice as well). I'm studying at Oxford this summer and I am hoping to make my way North hopefully to Edinburgh but you've made me consider a trip to Glasgow instead! There are so many things I love about Scotland but I think I can confidently say my favorite part is the scenery, so different than home and so absolutely beautiful!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
You guys are making me jealous! This is my dream and goal! to a) some day vacation out of America, besides the stint to Mexico I made in Jr High and b) have that vacation be in Scottland!!

Josephine

One Too Many
I wann go to Scotland!! ::pout:: I finally found an ancestress from there and now am "Official". In about 16 years when all the Misses are out of college maybe I can start saving....

D

Deleted member 3716

PADDY said:
I'm about an hour from the centre of Edinburgh by train. If I'd known you were going to be there I'd have taken the train up to meet you and had a coffee and shown you some of the lovely old vintage shops near to the Castle.

Glad you had a nice time and send some sunshine over from the sunny states ;)

Edinburgh is pretty good for vintage shopping,isn't it?
There was one particularly good place i spent far too much money in - i think it was called Armstrongs, or something like that...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
For me it would be the Glencoe area, Alt Lairig Eilde, Bideam nan Bian and above all beloved Buchaille Etive Mor. This was my first Munro, when I was a mere boy. Like making love for the first time...

b-etive-mor-4.jpg

and Loch Etive, placid and numenous, ever in my mind...

b-.jpg

and my favourite railway station, Corrour on Rannoch Moor...

b-corrour-station.jpg

The buffet is closed...

Alan

Rufus

Practically Family
If any Boarders are near/in Inverness in early February, I'll be at the first Highlands Comic Book Convention.

Should be good craic!

Rufus

posterfinal.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Shetland Islands

Having just received my Fair Isle sweater in the mail, I Googled the island where it was knit, Burra, which, tho not exactly Fair Isle, is adjacent, and virtually identical. I found this group of pix which are remarkable. You can cover almost the whole Shetlands via these shots. It's starkly beautiful. Very barren. It's kind of scary trying to imagine the way of life of a place like this before the amenities of the 20th century.
http://www.originart.eu/shetland/south/burra/burra_map.html

missmelly

One of the Regulars
Fun!
My husband and I will be in Scotland (Edinburgh) in March. We'll be in Italy & Ireland before that - Ireland for St Patrick's Day!!:)
I cannot wait. This will be our first visit to Scotland.
.:Miss Melly:.

Rufus

Practically Family
The Orkney Isles are fantastic too. In the winter, northern lights, and crashing waves off the Yesnabee Cliff face,lovely Stromness, The standing stones of Stenness, the Old Man of Hoy,the burial tomb at Maes Howe, and the naval history of Scapa Flow.

You can get a ferry over to Stromness from John O'Groats. It's well worth a visit.

Rufus

Practically Family
I live in Bethnal Green.... No one speaks that clearly in the sound of Bow Bells these days.. D'ya know whut I mean,yeah?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24