Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

NDW76 said:
I was involved in scouting throughout most of my child hood and a fair bit of my teen years. There was no PC stuff when I was involved, but it came in shortly after. When I joined the local scouts the scout master who had just left liked children a little too much. Understandably many of the other children were screwed up by this. So it was in scouting that I learned how to turn everyday items into weapons. One kid also taught me how to tie a noose. Sadly he isn't with us anymore.

They weren't exactly very enthusiastic about teaching how to tie a noose when I was in. I learned how to tie one from a friend of mine in Scouts anyway though. It is actually a useful knot for holding things and it can be easily adjusted to raise or lower whatever is needed.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We were safe, and simple times were fun!

Hey, I grew up in the "Leave it to Beaver" era!

Everyone treated the kids like their own. Lots of parent volunteerism and participation. Overnight camp trips to the lake, and the snow.

Sad, we may be more savvy in this generation, but a lot of the innocence and joy seems to have been lost.

No one dared or even thought of "doing something" to a kid back then. Sometimes I wish we were back to kids spending time flying kites, building soap box racers, jumping mounds with our Stingray bikes, and enjoying fishing, camping, the Planetarium, ...the list is endless. Building things with popsicle sticks, glue and paints, balsa wood.

Seems like something has gone wrong in society today.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0005.jpg

Just found this one from the good old days.
Yours truely, 17 years old, comming home from the World jamboree in Greece. Must be 1962.

miss_elise

Practically Family
I have to say that the number of hoops and jumps we had to do to get permission to have a campfire this weekend no longer makes me wonder about why scouting and guiding no longer get to do as many great activities as they used to

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
miss_elise said:
I have to say that the number of hoops and jumps we had to do to get permission to have a campfire this weekend no longer makes me wonder about why scouting and guiding no longer get to do as many great activities as they used to

That's sad Miss Elise. I suppose they'll argue and say because of the 10 year drought the bush is still dangerously dry in places. Probably Black Saturday has made officials all the more twitchy now as well.

Shame though.

Lost a good Scouter last week...

Just returned from funeral of an Assistant Scout Master that I have served with for the last 5 years since he & his son crossed over. His son is close to wrapping up his Eagle requirements & was at Philmont when his father was in Las Vegas on business. Chuck got choked on a piece of steak & attempts at the Heimlich manuever failed. The trail will never be the same... Adios Amigo...

Warden

One Too Many
My daughter is in Rainbows the early years option for Brownies and Guides, but I gather when she gets old enough to be in Brownies she has the choice to join Cubs

Wow, we never had 'girls' in our Cub pack. lol

A first rate, and I think the adults who give up there time to run these groups are amazing

Harry

Asdf

New in Town
I was in Scouts from the age of 13 until I was 14 (yep, girls were allowed) but I have to say, I absolutely hated it. I first started there because my dad it a leader of the Cub pack, but Scouts was all wrong for me :(
I didn't have any friends, but didn't feel I could leave because I didn't want to let my dad down :(

However the one part I loved was going on Scout camp. If it had all been camping, I would have stayed :) Still didn't make any friends, but the camp was definitely the best part of the whole experience.

xx

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miss_elise said:

Hi

From what another one of our committee members told me about 10 years ago, that echoes what the Girl Scouts of the USA do. They have training for everything. BSA is catching up. We finally went to Youth Protection Training (how to find pervs, and how to not be in a position to be suspected of being one) being mandatory. YPT being mandatory is good, but it will probably lead to a lot of other stuff being mandatory too (bad).

later

lframe

One of the Regulars
I was a Girl Scout and have a very active Wolf Cub. He's already agreed that Eagle Scout before driver's license! That makes this Momma's heart sing.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
lframe said:
I was a Girl Scout and have a very active Wolf Cub. He's already agreed that Eagle Scout before driver's license! That makes this Momma's heart sing.

But, but, how does he drive to Home Depot to pick up materials for his Eagle Project (like I did) ??

Matt

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
lframe said:

That was me. I had planned to get Eagle before getting distracted by the 'fumes (car fumes and perfumes), but when I was at Life before going to high school, and only had my project remaining, an awful leader told me they wouldn't let me go for Eagle until I was older. So, I almost dropped out, because during high school I had lots of conflicts (mostly dance classes) and only was really part of the troop for backpacking. I ended up joined a Venture Crew, and having my Eagle Board of Review just a week before my 18th birthday.

Moral of the story, don't push him, but don't let bad leaders hold him back.

Edit: I sounded really negative toward my leaders there. Please don't think that I had only bad leaders. In general my leaders were fantastic, and were very influential (behind my family, specifically mother and grandmother, and my teachers in high school, who were great men) in my life and making me who I am today.

lframe

One of the Regulars
MPicciotto said:
But, but, how does he drive to Home Depot to pick up materials for his Eagle Project (like I did) ??

Matt

Well, after seeing him drive a golf cart (at 10), I think the road will be a safer place for a little while without him driving. Plus, he made that deal with us when he was a Tiger Cub.

NC has a privilege license that only let's you drive during certain hours. Kinda like an extended learners permit. That, will probably be what he has for a while. He has to pass the Mom test.

I learned how to drive on a tractor, so I am thinking I will take him up the family farm and let him learn patience with an experience that only a John Deere can give you!

lframe

One of the Regulars
Yeps said:
That was me. I had planned to get Eagle before getting distracted by the 'fumes (car fumes and perfumes), but when I was at Life before going to high school, and only had my project remaining, an awful leader told me they wouldn't let me go for Eagle until I was older. So, I almost dropped out, because during high school I had lots of conflicts (mostly dance classes) and only was really part of the troop for backpacking. I ended up joined a Venture Crew, and having my Eagle Board of Review just a week before my 18th birthday.

We actually are switching this fall. Our leaders are so disorganized, nothing gets done until the end of the year and it's rush, rush, rush. The new one is well organized, but flows gently and they really get to experience what it's all about.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeps said:

Hi Yeps

We have a history in my current troop in Wichita, of having last minute Eagles. One kid finished his Eagle project at 6:30 PM, went to Baccalaureate at 7:00 PM, and turned 18 at Midnight. We also had two twins who took 18 months to fill out the white Eagle application. Both had all of the merit badges, a finished project, had written up the project, and no kidding took 18 months for a single (two sides) piece of paper.

Later

doctor dan

New in Town
I was a Scout in the 60's, spent every summer at camp as soon as I was old enough. Made Eagel Scout, and it was one of the best times I have ever had. I think it did prepare you for adulthood in a positive way and I can remember going in the army with kids who had never even been away from home and the camping experiences and survival skills put you ahead. Also did anyone get a chance to go to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, USA. I lucked out and got to spend a summer ther also.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
Hi Yeps

We have a history in my current troop in Wichita, of having last minute Eagles. One kid finished his Eagle project at 6:30 PM, went to Baccalaureate at 7:00 PM, and turned 18 at Midnight. We also had two twins who took 18 months to fill out the white Eagle application. Both had all of the merit badges, a finished project, had written up the project, and no kidding took 18 months for a single (two sides) piece of paper.

Later

That is amazing. I guess running on the deadline is part of the tradition. Gets you ready for real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy