Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

MPicciotto

Practically Family
This thread along with a conversation with friends has me considering giving back. A fellow reenactor, jeep restorer and good friend of mine's son is in cub scouts right now. Talking with his wife, also a reenactor and swing dancer she asked if I wanted to come to some of the events to be another adult. Got me thinking.

Maybe it's time to give back. After all I got to do in Scouts. Went to the National Jamboree, went to Philmont (twice once as OA trail crew), worked on staff at a summer camp one summer. Was in both an Explorer Post (Aviation) AND a Venture Crew. Our Venture crew did everything from trips to Ocean City to Canoe Jousting to some of the most hard core was a nighttime backpacking trek to a climbing spot where we spent two days rock climbing and rappelling.

Matt

phinz

New in Town
I was a Scout for several years, getting as far as being Senior Patrol Leader and an Assistant Scoutmaster. My last stint as an ASM I was dismayed at the mere shadow of itself that Scouting has become. The Order of the Arrow has lost the Indian chief logo due to political correctness. There are no true tapouts or ordeals for OA anymore. Even the voting for OA has become a popularity contest instead of a true vote for the best of the best. When they went from a percentage of all eligible boys being inducted to the new way of all boys who receive a certain number of votes being inducted, it watered it down.

Most Scouts don't backpack anymore. It's all suitcase camping. There's little respect for elders from the Scouts. They can't be away from their electronics for more than a few minutes. And women are even more heavily involved now. I don't have a problem with women, but camping with the Scouts used to be an opportunity for the boys to get out and be boys, but now the mommies come along too, and it's just not the same.

We won't even get into the political garbage that's omnipresent in Scouts now. :eusa_doh:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
phinz said:
...I don't have a problem with women, but camping with the Scouts used to be an opportunity for the boys to get out and be boys, but now the mommies come along too, and it's just not the same.

We won't even get into the political garbage that's omnipresent in Scouts now. :eusa_doh:

Hi, we mention in our talk during crossover, that no Mommies and Daddies are allowed. If you go on a camp out, you go as a leader, and in general, you don't help your own kids. If your son is in our troop, you're allowed to go anywhere he goes, just don't butter his bread and wipe his nose.

Later

Big Man

The other day I received a package in the mail from my Dad's first cousin's widow. My Dad, my Aunt, and my Dad's cousin were the last three of their generation in the Brown family. My Dad kept in contact with his cousin over the years and after he died several years ago, continued to stay in contact with his cousin's widow. After my Dad passed away, I continued to keep in contact with her. She is now moving to a smaller house and wanted me to have some of the things that were special to her husband. In the box she sent were a lot of old papers about family history, a number of old pictures, and some Boy Scout things.

My Dad's cousin was involved with Scouting from the time he was a boy in the late 1930's and early 1940's until his later years. In the things his widow sent were his Eagle award, all his Merit Badge cards, and a picture of him in his Scout uniform. I was honored she entrusted these things to me for their safe keeping.

I thought some of you folks who are involved with Scouting may enjoy these pictures.

This is a photo of my Dad's first cousin (I guess that would make him my first cousin, once removed, right?), Van Harold Brown. Cousin Van Harold was a member of Boy Scout Troop 1 in Marion, NC. Several years after the War he relocated to Florida, where he continued to be involved with Scouting as an adult leader. I believe this picture was taken in 1940.

DSC05114.jpg

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05111.jpg

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
Troop 39. Eagle Scout - 2003. Brotherhood - Order of the Arrow.

National Jamboree 2001... I recall one scout being struck by lightning and another being expelled because he swiped all the TP rolls from the local latrine and was selling them to those in need. ...I wonder if he got his entrepreneurship merit badge.

It's really weird that I found this thread today... I found and dug through the box containing all my old Scouting/NJROTC/CAP articles no more than 4 hours ago.

We won't even get into the political garbage that's omnipresent in Scouts now.

Sadly, this is very true. By the time I earned my Eagle Scout Award, I didn't really even want it anymore - such was the condition of my troop.

...And might I also add that I was a last-minute-Eagle as well.

Last edited:

1961MJS

Hi

I just returned from Trapper's Rendezvous at Harvey County Park West just west of Newton KS. There were roughly 5000 campers this weekend. There has been snow on the ground since last week. The temperatures were from a low of about 19 degrees to a high of 35 degrees. I ate too well, and worked the BB-Gun range / qualifier for shooting Muzzle loaders. Several were wearing buckskins like the old 1800-1830 fur trappers. If there's an article in our local paper, I'll see about posting pictures.

http://marionrecord.com/direct/scouts_practice_barter_system_at_trappers_rendezvous+18scouts+53636f757473207072616374696365206261727465722073797374656d206174205472617070657273272052656e64657a766f7573

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wfryer/sets/72157623230876112/

Not my pictures, but these give you an idea what goes on.

Later

Last edited:

L'Onset

Familiar Face
I was a Scout since 15 to 20 yrs., then studies, girls, travels, and other interests took me away from scouting. Now I'm father of boy and girl cub scouts. Here in Spain today Scout associations (there are more than one) are mainly mixed.
Scouting in Spain is a bit misunderstood by the common. Cartoons and other jokes have made that for most of the people Boy Scouts are a band of "nerds with their big hats and silly military-like uniforms pretending to be tough guys when everyone knows that the real-deal is (was) being in the Frente de Juventudes" (youth branch of the official and unique political party during Franco's days)
Those days are over long ago, but still scouting is seen with some skepticism.

Never mind though.

My grand father was a Scout back in the early XX century, First Troop in Zaragoza. Went to Birkenhead World Jamboree in 1921 if I'm not wrong.

I'm posting some pictures.
This one is of my Clan of Rovers in 1984 :

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lDtgY2__lJw-SWkt4TNinclK0MBPIxKMkUngJPPL6Bg?feat=directlink
I`m the one right in the middle of the picture: Middle row third one from left or rigth.

The following ones are of my grand father:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mXsM5q6oqMqS3AosHuqujslK0MBPIxKMkUngJPPL6Bg?feat=directlink
Grandad is the tanned one sitting on the floor between the guy with the sailor hat and the guitar and the girl with the stick.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/7vkl0xTGFtDJ7RwjTzDLMslK0MBPIxKMkUngJPPL6Bg?feat=directlink
Here with an english friend called Paul Cavanagh

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8ZpAdkUHDjROYQ-rBFnQ-slK0MBPIxKMkUngJPPL6Bg?feat=directlink
Somewhere in Spain while on a sortie, buying some bread for the guys.

Hope you like them.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Most Scouts don't backpack anymore. It's all suitcase camping.

In my experience, this was not true, at least a couple years back. My troop almost never did suitcase camping. The only times we did not backpack was when we did jamboree's or stuff like that. Maybe the new scout campout or something, but that was just to get the newbies used to being away from home.

I loved Scouting, and it definitely helped define who I am now.

Renault

One Too Many
I made it to Star before having to go to work. Both my boys made it up the Eagle trail. All three of us were OA. I was an asst. scoutmaster for our local troop.

We lost one of our Eagles, 5 Sept 2009 in Kandahar province. Hit our community hard. We had lost his father (who was our scoutmaster) in '98 to cancer (agent orange) . We had what I call an atypical troop of boys. We did lots of backpacking, camping, shooting, the works. And ran our own summer camp on a West Texas ranch with no amenities! We campaigned!

Renault

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Queen's Venturer

Thought I'd better join the list.

I'm a Queen's Venturer, roughly equivalent to an Eagle Scout.

Hiking, camping in all seasons, woodcraft, etc. etc.

Still stands me well.

Of my current friends, almost ten of them are also Queen's Venturers from 35 years ago.

MiG-19

New in Town
n1343173066_30418240_3505680.jpg

n1343173066_30418244_1078347.jpg

My first post to the lounge. I was a Scout in Lexington, Kentucky's Troop 98 in the 60's and 70's. Stopped at Life when girls, gas and grades became more important. I'm now back in the game, starting out as a Unit Commissioner in Okinawa Japan for BSA's Far East Council. As my twin boys, Mikey and Jeremy started Tiger Cubs, I've been a Tiger Cub Den Leader, Cub Master, District Chairman, District Commissioner, Council Commissioner and am now the District OA Chapter Advisor. I recently got Vigil Honor in OA, and am a Woodbadge graduate. My boys are now Life Scouts, and only have their Eagle project to go in order to reach their goal on the Eagle Trail. They will make it! BTW, my faithful border-pointer (Border Collie/Short-haired Pointer mis) in the first picture died yesterday. He's been my constant loyal companion for 14 years. I miss him terribly.

Last edited:
I was a Scout for several years, getting as far as being Senior Patrol Leader and an Assistant Scoutmaster. My last stint as an ASM I was dismayed at the mere shadow of itself that Scouting has become. The Order of the Arrow has lost the Indian chief logo due to political correctness. There are no true tapouts or ordeals for OA anymore. Even the voting for OA has become a popularity contest instead of a true vote for the best of the best. When they went from a percentage of all eligible boys being inducted to the new way of all boys who receive a certain number of votes being inducted, it watered it down.

Most Scouts don't backpack anymore. It's all suitcase camping. There's little respect for elders from the Scouts. They can't be away from their electronics for more than a few minutes. And women are even more heavily involved now. I don't have a problem with women, but camping with the Scouts used to be an opportunity for the boys to get out and be boys, but now the mommies come along too, and it's just not the same.

It is sad to hear that the Order of the Arrow has become what it has where you are there. The tapouts and ordeals were the thing that made them a mystery and added to the cache of being a member---even if you had to go through an ordeal in the snow like I did.:eusa_doh::rolleyes:

Taz-man

Familiar Face
I was also a Boy Scout. Never made Eagle but I had fun. I got to go to Philmont Scout Ranch. My father, grandfather, and uncle were also in the Boy Scouts.

Big Man

My Dad (third from the left) at Schiele Scout Camp in the summer of 1936. When I was in scouts, I went to the same camp, stayed in the same cabins, ate in the same dining hall, and swam in the same lake. The old Schiele camp that my Dad and I both went to is gone now, but the buildings and flag pole remain.

DSC04428.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear that too James.
I attained the rank of Eagle in 1985 and it was a very proud moment in my life.
The Order Of The Arrow was also a memorable occasion. I can think back on many times during the weekend I was inducted, and remember many things such as camping out under the stars (in February and with frost on the ground I might add!!!), starting my own fire out of only what I had, and doing a few projects at the camp we attended.
Scouting instilled me with a lot of values I have today, and I loved every minute of it.
And no suitcases back when I did it. :D

Sorry to hear that too James.
I attained the rank of Eagle in 1985 and it was a very proud moment in my life.
The Order Of The Arrow was also a memorable occasion. I can think back on many times during the weekend I was inducted, and remember many things such as camping out under the stars (in February and with frost on the ground I might add!!!), starting my own fire out of only what I had, and doing a few projects at the camp we attended.
Scouting instilled me with a lot of values I have today, and I loved every minute of it.
And no suitcases back when I did it. :D

Amen. I remember many things that happened as well. I have to say that I hate building friction fires though. It takes quite a bit of doing. The flint and steel fires are more my style. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ