Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

MagistrateChris

One of the Regulars
Pack 880, then Troop 880. Arrow of Light in Cubs, Eagle w/ gold palm 1984. Ordeal member of O.A. Now, some 20 years later, my oldest son got into Cub Scouts, and they were looking for a leader, so I'm putting the uniform back on as Cub Master. Honestly, I'm in the process of considering a hat purchase for unifrom wear. Do you all lik ethe traditional campaign hat, or the new "outback" style?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was a tenderfoot!

Troop 290, Lantana, Florida

I still have my neckerchief and my Camp Tanakeeta slide. I also carved a 'beer barrel' neckerchief slide that I saw in "Boys Life" magazine. I still have that little rascal.

BarrelNeckerchiefSlide.jpg

I'll photograph that stuff and pass it along.

-dixon cannon

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Been a scout from age 9 to 16. Quite fun, lots of adventures including the International Jamboree in Calgary, Alberta in 1982. Also got my Annapurna badge in 1981, a badge given by the Governor General of Canada (Queen's representative) at Rideau Hall, Ottawa.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Harry Pierpont said:
I was a cub when I was younger but our great den mother quit and no one liked the new one and the pack dissolved. Both my sons on the other hand are Eagle Scouts and I am currently the " Chartered Organization Rep." our fire dept charters the local troop.

My darling hubby forgot to mention that I was a cub scout den mother for two years and *note to Rooster* we did NOT carve any soap! It was quite a challenge keeping 8 boys moving in the same direction! I never did any "camping" with the boys, but the scoutmaster took them once on an overnight trip. I am not the "camping type".

Also, *another note to Rooster* in my high school years (back in the mid-70s) I was in an Explorer Boy Scout troop. It was a conservation-based troop. Most of the girls joined to hang out with the guys, but I was really interested in nature conservation.

Being an Eagle Scout put my youngest son, up a pay level, when he entered the Air Force. I'm not sure if other branches of the military recognize Eagle Scouts, though.

I'll have to dig up the photo of hubby riding in the soap box derby racer they made in scouts--back when the derby cars were large enough to ride in!

Josephine

One Too Many
BonnieJean said:
Being an Eagle Scout put my youngest son, up a pay level, when he entered the Air Force. I'm not sure if other branches of the military recognize Eagle Scouts, though.

They do, and the branches recognize Girl Scout's highest award too (which changes ever 20 years it seems, I got the First Class Award, Big Miss would get the Gold Award).

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Josephine said:
They do, and the branches recognize Girl Scout's highest award too (which changes ever 20 years it seems, I got the First Class Award, Big Miss would get the Gold Award).

That's nice to know, Josephine. The young people have to work hard to get these awards and I'm glad they're recognized for it.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Yep, it's so. I was an explorer. I was a member of a Native American Dance Explorer unit actually. We used to do educational dance shows for various groups and schools. I've done more blue and gold dinners than I care to remember. There was a certain time each year where I would get sick of blue and gold. Like I said, I met my husband in that unit. I was all of 16. *sigh*
But my mother in law was a cub scout leader in some capacity for nearly 30 years. She had 5 children. 4 of them were boys. She has 4 Eagle scouts. And if my sister-in-law had been a boy she would have had 5. Scouting runs deep in that family. Hubby was also in the OA. We were both Explorers until we hit 21 and then were advisors for several years. And he spent nearly 6 years as a Scout master or Asst. Scoutmaster for 2 different troops.

tinmanzz: lol. you'd be surprised how many Marines are also Eagles.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Maybe it's the HATS ???

Nashoba said:
tinmanzz: lol. you'd be surprised how many Marines are also Eagles.

Actually, it is the same mind set that drives some boys and men to excell. I left Scouts for the DeMolay's (Former Master Counsellor)
I LOVE Scouting, It givs young Men a chance to Prove themselves. I also LOVE the CORP.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dixon Cannon said:
... I also carved a 'beer barrel' neckerchief slide that I saw in "Boys Life" magazine. I still have that little rascal ...

I cut my finger carving a neckerchief slide at Scout Camp in 1967. I still have the scar (but not the slide). :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great posts from the Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge. I really enjoy reading these. Does anyone have pictures to post?

Here's my favorite watercolor done by Lord Robert S.S. Baden-Powell. He titled it My House in the Woods.

bp-house-in-woods.jpg

Nashoba

One Too Many
Big Man said:
I cut my finger carving a neckerchief slide at Scout Camp in 1967. I still have the scar (but not the slide). :D

My husband carved the eagle head neckerchief slide that I wear with my dance regalia. come to think of it...i think he did it at scout camp one year...[huh]

Brooksie

One Too Many
I was in Sea Scouts (also an explorer unit) for a couple of years when I in high school... It was fun, I learned to sail every mast and sail on a sail boat so, naturally I was on the sailing team and also the rowing team. Learned how to tie all of the sailors knots, learned semiphore and morse code and other neat things.

Brooksie

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
I am currently a lifetime member of Girl Scouts. I stayed with it from Brownie all the way through Senior and graduation, but I never earned my Gold Award. I did, however, work at the local Girl Scout camp back in Iowa for 4 years. Not only am I pretty good at dutch oven cooking, but I'm excellent at canoeing, sailing, using a compass, lighting a fire with one match (and NO lighter fluid!), and tying knots.

Life's been keeping me pretty busy, but I want to have my own troop someday!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Girl scouts

I was a Brownie thur Cadet. I went to one camp. Now my daughter is in girl scouts. She started in Daisies and is about to finish her last Brownie year.

I think it is a wonderful outlet for kids.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I finally dug up hubby's (Harry Pierpont) photo from his Cub Scout soap box derby. He's the cute red head in the middle.
soap_box_derby.jpg

He was the official "driver" and wore a football helmet for protection. They raced their cars down a big hill--no engines, just gravity.

When our boys were in scouts, those large derby cars had been determined to be too "dangerous" and so they had shrunked to about 6" and the scouts raced them indoors on a large track. I think the soap box derby cars in the "old days" were more fun.

BTW, Harry says they won the derby race, but "cheated". He said there were Boy Scouts posted on the hill telling the Cub Scouts to brake at certain points down the hill "so they don't go too fast". But his buddy told him not to brake until the end and ignore the older boys' warnings. I always knew Harry was a daredevil!

carter

I'll Lock Up
BonnieJean, That is a wonderful picture and the tale of Harry's Soap Box Derby exploits brings back memories.
Thanks for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points