Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

Rooster

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
*sigh*...ahh scouts.

My husband started out as a cub, is an eagle scout and up until a few years ago was a scoutmaster.

I was also a boy scout. It was where we met. We were both members of the same Explorer unit.
Oh, say it ain't so Nash! Chicks in scouts!:eek: Times sure have changed.....lol

Josephine

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Brownie, 1970-72, Junior Girl Scout, 1972-75, Cadette Girl Scout 1975-76. I'd have stuck all the way thru to Senior, but the troop dissolved for lack of interest -- the 70s were a fallow time for such things, I guess. But I enjoyed it very much, even though the only camping trip I ever went on was a sleepover on the floor of the local armory one summer. And I still love the cookies!

Nice pic of your vest! I made it to Cadettes, and still have my vest, I'll take a picture tonight. I earned the First Class Award, of which I'm very proud. I'm the co-leader of Big Miss' Junior troop, and Middle Miss is in Brownies now. I'll post more later, have to go to work!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Rooster said:
Oh, say it ain't so Nash! Chicks in scouts!:eek: Times sure have changed.....lol

Girls have been allowed in Explorer units for a long time. It's not exactly the same as regular Boy Scouts -- more of an adventure club with Scouting ideals. It's an especially good option these days, as many Girl Scout groups these days don't spend much time in the outdoors.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rooster said:

he-man_club.jpg

lol lol lol lol

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
1960's-1973

I was active in the scouts for many years. I left when I turned 18 and went to college. When I left I was Jr. Asst. Scoutmaster, a Brotherhood member in the OA. I found it to be a great organization, a lot of great times and fond memories.

Rooster

Practically Family
Big Man said:
he-man_club.jpg

lol lol lol lol
lol HA! That's me!lol There's just some things guys have to do with out chicks around, and one of them is Boy Scouts. That's probably not a politically correct statement these days.;)

S

Samsa

Troop 1024 (Detroit Area Council). Made it up to Life (and Order of the Arrow), but was unfortunately too lazy at the time to make Eagle. (I didn't value it enough at the time. If I have any regrets, it's not putting forth the extra effort to make Eagle.) Our troop was great, and we did a lot of camping - one of my favorite experiences in or out of scouts was going to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico (twice). If I had money for new gear I would love to get back into backpacking.

I'm not sure if I would have gotten into drugs or other unsavory things as a teen without Scouts, but it was definitely a worthwhile experience.

Foofoogal

Banned
My son was an Order of the Arrow and made it to First Class scout. I was so mad when he quit due to peer pressure. Remember the night he had to stay in the woods all by himself. (that will make a man out of anyone) lol
My husband was Scoutmaster (I think if I remember also Order of the Arrow) and I used to go camping with the troop. I had a blast watching those boys plus they had to cook for me (silver turtles anyone) . Hilarious fun. One of the best organizations.
:eek:fftopic: Many people collect vintage Boy Scout memorabilia.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
My father was an Eagle Scout in the 40's and 50's. I made it to Life in the 70's. Currently #1 son is a Life with only his Eagle project remaining. #2 son is stuck at 1st Class due to sports and other commitments. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster in their troop.

My oldest son attended the National Jamboree in 2005 and the World Jamboree in England this past summer. These have been the highlights of his scouting experience thus far. My younger son has been too young to attend either of these events, but plans on attending the next National Jamboree.

I attended a National Jamboree in 1974 and went to Philmont in 1976, those were the highlights for me.

My wife says that Scouting makes you a better parent because it forces you to do the things with your kids that you always meant to do and teach them all the things you meant to teach them, but just never would get around to otherwise.

Feraud

Bartender
A question for those with children currently in scouting.

Does your troop work on any merit badges with the children as a troop or is it up to the scouts to choose a badge, find a counsellor, and complete the requirements?

Thanks

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
I was a Cub, then a Boy Scout years ago when there was still patches of woodland in the NJ/NYC area that we could walk to for a day hike. I really enjoyed the woodcraft and being free to roam the forest, exploring what was over the next hill.
I doubt that the scouts draw in my area the way the used too. Another species in danger of extinction from a lack of habitat.

carter

I'll Lock Up
THIS
P1010031.jpg

is the Scout Troop for me! :D

I grew up in VA and was a member of both the Cub Pack and Boy Scout Troop 121, Stonewall Jackson Council, chartered by our church. Our troop folded while I was working on 1st Class. The Scoutmaster was pretty old and no other adult male wanted to take on the responsibility. Since we lived in a farming community, that didn't curtail our outdoor activity on iota. It did end my involvement with Scouting as a youth. :(

I have some old photos that I'll try to find and post on this thread.

Fast forward a few decades. We had just moved back to Dallas from Houston and our son was entering the 1st grade. On Scout Night at his elementary school (anyone remember those?) my wife volunteered to become a Tiger Cub leader and I was drafted as the only male willing to help out. The rest, as they say, is history.

I went on to become the Cub Master. Then I transitioned into the Boy Scouts with my son and served as a merit badge counselor, Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster, and Unit Commissioner for Troop 68, Highland Park United Methodist Church, Dallas. Along the way I attended Wood Badge 57 at Philmont Scout Ranch and earned my beads as well as attending the National Jamboree in 2001 and surviving a 100 mile trek at Philmont in 2003. I'm also an OA member.

My son earned his Eagle rank as well as serving as his Troop Quartermaster at the National Jamboree in 2001 and leading our Philmont trek in 2003. He also is an OA member and taught 1st Aid at Camporee for a couple of years.

I've been retired from Scouting for the last couple of years and working a bit with the Girl Scouts since my daughter has been involved.

But...I really miss camping. So, my best guess is that Scouting hasn't seen the last of me yet. :D :fedora:

Thanks for starting this thread! I needed a pick-me-up!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
A question for those with children currently in scouting.
Does your troop work on any merit badges with the children as a troop or is it up to the scouts to choose a badge, find a counsellor, and complete the requirements?
Thanks

This is a very good question. Let me say that parental involvement is always a good thing if channeled properly and in accord with BSA policy.

Our troop does both. We had/have significant parental involvement. They are all registered with the BSA.

We also have an excellent relationship with the Chartered Organization Representative as well as the Church that charters the troop.

We offer a limited number of required merit badges taught as part of each weekly meeting. Outdoor requirements are covered at campouts, cookouts, and other activities. This has been done for years.

Individual merit badges are either offered when there is an adult with particular expertise or when a scout wants to earn a particular badge and locates an approved counselor. However, we always insist on the two-adult rule as well as encouraging the boys to work with at least one other scout on a badge.

Generally, we have plenty of adults available to teach just about any merit badge a boy wants to earn.

This being said, structure helps a lot. It is the job of the Troop Committe Chairman to recruit and help guide the adults who support the Scoutmaster and the Troop.

It is the job of the Scoutmaster and his assistants to work with the boys.

A clear understanding of the roles of the various adults involved with the troop makes a big difference in how well a troop runs.

A Scoutmaster and Troop Committee Chairman who understand their roles and respect one another are vital to a well-functioning troop.

Feraud

Bartender
Thank you for the reply Carter.

The issue I have with our troop is not the parental involvement but the troop structure. I work with my son on his scout requirements but notice they rarely work on merit badges during meetings. I was wondering how common this is. I know it is not productive.
My son's troop works on merit badges during summer camp and when they are camping.
What bothers me is the seemingly unorganized weekly meetings.. not to mention the favoritism. :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
Rooster said:
lol HA! That's me!lol There's just some things guys have to do with out chicks around, and one of them is Boy Scouts. That's probably not a politically correct statement these days.;)

I wonder about it sometimes. I'd hate to have grown up in a solely single-sex environment, but at the same time I don't think it did any harm at all to have that weekly evening where it was an all-guys environment. I think both genders can benefit from a balance between being on their own and being mixed.

Back when I was still involved with the Scouts, the UK organisation did decide at the top level that girls could join in with Scouts from the age of 10 and a half (the level at which back then at least we went from Cubs to Scouts). I guess the feeling was that in the modern world boys and girls didn't require to be treated differently, or more to the point, the girls could cope as well as the boys and didn't need to be kept indoors learning how to be ladies. Heh. I don't know how far it took off.... I think a lot of the Guide movement (Girl Scouts in the US, right?) had moved on by then and was so much modernised that it was more a matter of preferance on the mixed issue than anything that would decide preferences on the matter. In our small village Scout group, we remained all male, with the local guides agreeing to carry on providing for the girls. As much as anything this came down to a leadership issue - if our group had taken girls in, we'd have had to recruit a bunch more (female) leaders what with legalities, insurance, etc, especially if camping. It was hard enough recruiting leaders as it was - it's a big time commitment, certainly, and then I think the movement got hit by the same thing as primary school teaching for men - the crude, popular jokes and suspicion about a man who wanted to work with young boys. Sad, but there you have it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Thank you for the reply Carter.

The issue I have with our troop is not the parental involvement but the troop structure. I work with my son on his scout requirements but notice they rarely work on merit badges during meetings. I was wondering how common this is. I know it is not productive.
My son's troop works on merit badges during summer camp and when they are camping.
What bothers me is the seemingly unorganized weekly meetings.. not to mention the favoritism. :rolleyes:

Feraud,

My 1st question is, "What is done at the meetings?".

The BSA provides many resources for meetings as well as monthly programs. Does you son's troop use any of these materials? Thay can be subscribed to and received via mail by the adult leaders.

By the way, how is your Scoutmaster selected? How long have they held this position? Have they been trained at BSA training courses? Every boy deserves a well-trained leader(s).

Who runs the meetings? Is it the youth leaders with the coaching of the Scoutmaster? If so, do they have a program for each meeting? Do the youth leaders and the Scoutmaster meet separately each week? Are the youth leaders actually doing any leading?

There can be many reasons for a lack of focus. However, as far as the troop meetings are concerned, the responsibility lies with the Scoutmaster.

If this is a long-term issue, ask for a meeting with the Scoutmaster and concerned parents.

It may be a good idea to include the Troop Committee Chairman and the Chartered Organization Representative as well as the Unit Commissioner if the initial meeting does not go well or there is no improvement.

It is important that the situation not become politicized by the adults, as often happens, in situations like these. The boys and their Scouting experience are the most important item to focus on.

Feraud

Bartender
The weekly meetings are run by the patrol leaders overseen by the scoutmaster. The activities are monthly themes voted on by the scouts at the beginning of the year. The scoutmaster has been with the troop a long time. I am not sure how/when or what training was done for this position.

It seems like troops are run slightly differently from each other. Our troop is a good group of kids who get along great, love the scoutmaster, and have a great time on their summer, camping and day trips.

I would like to see a bit more discipline when it comes to earning merit badges. Rather than feeling like all the kids are working towards Eagle, it feels like only one or two. Maybe it is just me. [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
The weekly meetings are run by the patrol leaders overseen by the scoutmaster. The activities are monthly themes voted on by the scouts at the beginning of the year. The scoutmaster has been with the troop a long time. I am not sure how/when or what training was done for this position.

It seems like troops are run slightly differently from each other. Our troop is a good group of kids who get along great, love the scoutmaster, and have a great time on their summer, camping and day trips.

I would like to see a bit more discipline when it comes to earning merit badges. Rather than feeling like all the kids are working towards Eagle, it feels like only one or two. Maybe it is just me. [huh]

It sounds like there is a lot of good happening in the troop.
If the boys get along well, like/love the Scoutmaster, and have a gret time on their [Sc]outings, that's great.

Have you considered discussing this with the Scoutmaster and asking if he is open to adult volunteers who are willing to teach merit badges? He may be open to this but hasn't been asked.

If the Senior Patrol Leader, his staff, and the Scoutmaster are willing, the meetings might be restructured or lengthened slightly to provide a short 20-30 minute breakout for merit badges. This can be sandwiched between the opening, patrol meetings, and closing or however it works best for the troop.

If the boys do not want to do this, alternate meeetings at other times that work for the merit badge instructors could be arranged.

I'd say have a discussion with the Scoutmaster 1st and be prepared to offer some assistance if he is interested.

Feraud

Bartender
carter said:
It sounds like there is a lot of good happening in the troop.
If the boys get along well, like/love the Scoutmaster, and have a gret time on their [Sc]outings, that's great.
I should emphasis how well they all do get along. Any "bad apples" tend to drop off after a week or two.
Like the other parents, we are trying to help our son achieve his goal of Eagle. I hope I did not coming off as too "gloom and doom" about the troop! lol
Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to try to bring it up to the scoutmaster.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I should emphasis how well they all do get along. Any "bad apples" tend to drop off after a week or two.
Like the other parents, we are trying to help our son achieve his goal of Eagle. I hope I did not coming off as too "gloom and doom" about the troop! lol
Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to try to bring it up to the scoutmaster.

Nope, you're coming across as concerned. A good thing.

The Scoutmaster may be eager for help. The best way to find out is to ask. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo