Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scouting anyone?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I was a Brownie in the early 90's, probably only for a year or two. I was very shy when I was little, so I was not much of a joiner and disliked being forced into group situations (like dance classes).

However, those cookies were delish! I don't think we ever did anything other than make stuff out of paper plates and sell cookies though. They should have more outdoorsy stuff for girls to do. I'm sure I would have liked that much more.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was in Girl Scouts, Brownie through Cadette. I dropped in Cadette's because while my leader was a total sweetheart, she was the same one I'd had since part of Brownies, and we were doing a lot of the same activities over and over.

And I was less girly than a lot of the girls, so we did a lot of crafts projects with glitter and a lot of trips to see Disney on Ice or whatever, when I wanted to go camping and canoeing and whatever. (the leader wasn't really WRONG, either, I don't think most of those girls wanted to do paintball or anything like that)

I stayed registered an extra year after I stopped hanging with the troop, because I loved the local GS summer camp in tents. (As opposed to camping with my troop, which was always in a cabin, the BABIES! :p )

That last year at summer camp when I was 14 was kind of odd though, I remember trying to learn to smoke and being in a pup tent with some chick I barely knew who was stoned out of her mind, going "Ok, seriously, you need to SHUT UP!"

And then on the last day my little sister almost got me into a fistfight with some big ol' girl from a rough neighborhood on the other side of the city who was more than a head taller than I was.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I was in Girl Scouts, Brownie through Cadette. I dropped in Cadette's because while my leader was a total sweetheart, she was the same one I'd had since part of Brownies, and we were doing a lot of the same activities over and over.

And I was less girly than a lot of the girls, so we did a lot of crafts projects with glitter and a lot of trips to see Disney on Ice or whatever, when I wanted to go camping and canoeing and whatever. (the leader wasn't really WRONG, either, I don't think most of those girls wanted to do paintball or anything like that)

I stayed registered an extra year after I stopped hanging with the troop, because I loved the local GS summer camp in tents. (As opposed to camping with my troop, which was always in a cabin, the BABIES! :p )

That last year at summer camp when I was 14 was kind of odd though, I remember trying to learn to smoke and being in a pup tent with some chick I barely knew who was stoned out of her mind, going "Ok, seriously, you need to SHUT UP!"

And then on the last day my little sister almost got me into a fistfight with some big ol' girl from a rough neighborhood on the other side of the city who was more than a head taller than I was.

Viola,

If you're ever interested, there are female volunteer leaders in the Boy Scouts. There were three ladies in my Wood Badge course at Philmont. At least one of them went on to become the Scoutmaster of her son's Boy Scout Troop. There may not be girls/young ladies in Boy Scout Troops but some of the most effective volunteers I've had the pleasure of knowing have been ladies.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Carter, that's a good idea. I remember kinda going along with a lot of my younger brother's Cub Scout and Boy Scout things, (sometimes our parents couldn't make it, and sometimes I just liked the kind of stuff they were doing) and liking it.

I don't see having free time in my immediate future, I just enlisted, but I would investigate either GS or BSA in the future, or the Explorers, which I wish I'd heard about when I was 14.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
Carter, that's a good idea. I remember kinda going along with a lot of my younger brother's Cub Scout and Boy Scout things, (sometimes our parents couldn't make it, and sometimes I just liked the kind of stuff they were doing) and liking it.

I don't see having free time in my immediate future, I just enlisted, but I would investigate either GS or BSA in the future, or the Explorers, which I wish I'd heard about when I was 14.

Viola, Best wishes on your enlistment. Which branch? There are often opportunities with Scouting at permanent duty stations once you've completed your training. It seems like you may be a natural for this kind of volunteer effort.

Mark from Plano

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
A question for those with children currently in scouting.

Does your troop work on any merit badges with the children as a troop or is it up to the scouts to choose a badge, find a counsellor, and complete the requirements?

Thanks

In our troop the answer is "both". We tend to do Eagle-required merit badges during meetings (maybe 4-5 per year). Occassionally one of the parents will offer to instruct a particular merit badge outside of meetings (my wife did "Art" once). Beyond that the boys are responsible for arranging their own merit badges or attending one of the local "merit badge colleges" held around town or getting them at summer camp.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
Viola, Best wishes on your enlistment. Which branch? There are often opportunities with Scouting at permanent duty stations once you've completed your training. It seems like you may be a natural for this kind of volunteer effort.

The Navy. I'm going to be an Electrician's Mate, is there a BSA merit badge for wiring? lol

I liked my brother's troop a lot, but I admit I think about the Girl Scouts a bit more, partially because I think there are a lot of girls that would enjoy more exposure to "real" camping and stuff than maybe are getting it with some troops. Its not supposed to just be about the cookies! ;)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Mark from Plano said:
In our troop the answer is "both". We tend to do Eagle-required merit badges during meetings (maybe 4-5 per year). Occassionally one of the parents will offer to instruct a particular merit badge outside of meetings (my wife did "Art" once). Beyond that the boys are responsible for arranging their own merit badges or attending one of the local "merit badge colleges" held around town or getting them at summer camp.

It's exactly the same with our troop. We don't push boys to get merit badges, but will do all we can to facilitate them in getting the ones they want. This probably does result in us turning out fewer Eagles over time, but it ensures the ones that do earn Eagle rank are those that truly want it, and are self-motivated enough to put the work in to attain it.

The flip side of this coin are the troops where they do nothing but work on merit badges, and hardly spend any time outdoors, developing leadership skills, and doing stuff that is just plain fun. What is needed is a bit of it all. I have had experiences at camporees with some troops that we call "Eagle factories" (they have 7-10 Eagles per year, even if the troops are smallish), and many of the boys with higher ranks often did not have the skills (both Scouting, and leadership) that our First Class and Star Scouts have.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I went Brownie-Senior, but didnt finish Senior cause I had that pesky thing of getting into college (applications and such) :p

I was a scout in (at the time) the only all black troop in our area (Kentucky). We'd go to all or events in full uniform. We also sold the most cookies (400+ cases) for like 5 years! We were so cool :cool:

LD

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
Eagle Scout '89.

I was talking to my parents a couple of weeks back and told them Philmont was one of the coolest things I ever did as a kid.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
It's exactly the same with our troop. We don't push boys to get merit badges, but will do all we can to facilitate them in getting the ones they want. This probably does result in us turning out fewer Eagles over time, but it ensures the ones that do earn Eagle rank are those that truly want it, and are self-motivated enough to put the work in to attain it.

The flip side of this coin are the troops where they do nothing but work on merit badges, and hardly spend any time outdoors, developing leadership skills, and doing stuff that is just plain fun. What is needed is a bit of it all. I have had experiences at camporees with some troops that we call "Eagle factories" (they have 7-10 Eagles per year, even if the troops are smallish), and many of the boys with higher ranks often did not have the skills (both Scouting, and leadership) that our First Class and Star Scouts have.

When you consider that only about 3 % of the boys who enter the Boy Scouts actually earn the rank of Eagle, I'd say most who earn the rank actually "want it". However, there are some boys who do so because of parental or other influence and/or pressure. Would they have earned the rank otherwise? Who's to say.

I've heard of troops called "Eagle factories" but have never sat on a review board for an Eagle candidate who hadn't done the work required to earn the rank.

That being said, there is an old saying in the BSA, that the best part of "Scouting" is "...outing". That was certainly the aim of Lord Robert S.S. Baden Powell when he began the movement.

Most of the adult scouters that I know would agree that Scouting is most effective when the adult volunteers actaully serve as mentors and guides to assist the boys in learning, among other things, leadership within a safe, well-rounded, and comprehensive program.

Blackgrass

One of the Regulars
carter said:
When you consider that only about 3 % of the boys who enter the Boy Scouts actually earn the rank of Eagle, I'd say most who earn the rank actually "want it". However, there are some boys who do so because of parental or other influence and/or pressure. Would they have earned the rank otherwise? Who's to say.

I tell all the girls that it's 1% and then show them my scars! ;)

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
carter said:

I've heard of troops called "Eagle factories" but have never sat on a review board for an Eagle candidate who hadn't done the work required to earn the rank.

That being said, there is an old saying in the BSA, that the best part of "Scouting" is "...outing". That was certainly the aim of Lord Robert S.S. Baden Powell when he began the movement.

Most of the adult scouters that I know would agree that Scouting is most effective when the adult volunteers actaully serve as mentors and guides to assist the boys in learning, among other things, leadership within a safe, well-rounded, and comprehensive program.

I'm on the same page with most everything you say here. I have, however, sat on several Eagle boards where the candidate was not prepared for the questioning (not that uncommon). I also have served on one where the Scout did not know whether he used nails or screws on his wood duck boxes, and couldn't say how he set them. Certainly, this was rare case, but it was something that really stuck out to me over the years. I don't want that to happen with one of our boys.

I absolutely agree with you regarding B-P's position on the outdoors in Scouting.

Josephine

One Too Many
Feraud said:
A question for those with children currently in scouting.

Does your troop work on any merit badges with the children as a troop or is it up to the scouts to choose a badge, find a counsellor, and complete the requirements?

Thanks

We work on badges and Signs together, but a Girl Scout is more than welcome to earn any badge she wants to on her own. My 11 yr old earned Junior Aide and the Leadership Award on her own, in addition to a camping badge.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I was...

...a Cub Scout and Boy Scout. When my dad got stationed in Germany that ended it for me. I think its a great thing and my daughter is now a Brownie.

BTW my dad was the first Eagle Scout in Princess Anne County in the 1930s!

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
I was A Scout back in the early 60's made LIFE Rank. Later in the 90's I was a Scout Master in Oklahoma.
The Biggest problem with Scouting Today is that the too many Advisors want to tell the boys what to do instead of advising them how to get it done.
As the say "ONCE A SCOUT ALWAYS A ...... :eek: :eek: OOPS, WRONG "BOYS" GROUP
SEMPER FI........

carter

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
I'm on the same page with most everything you say here. I have, however, sat on several Eagle boards where the candidate was not prepared for the questioning (not that uncommon). I also have served on one where the Scout did not know whether he used nails or screws on his wood duck boxes, and couldn't say how he set them. Certainly, this was rare case, but it was something that really stuck out to me over the years. I don't want that to happen with one of our boys.

I absolutely agree with you regarding B-P's position on the outdoors in Scouting.

Zohar, I can see where the scout being unprepared could happen if a Troop really is just focused on turning out Eagle Scouts. I consider myself lucky to not have experienced this.

In our troop, between the Scoutmaster and the Eagle Coordinator, the Eagle candidate was reviewed at least twice before his Eagle Board after he completed his project, not to mention all the approval and review documentation before and during the project. My experience is that the Eagle Project is the most challenging thing a Scout will do in his Scouting career as a youth.

How a boy can get to his final Eagle Board of Review and not know his project from soup to nuts is beyond me. Unless, of course, the adult leaders aren't really doing their jobs as prescribed by the BSA.

Actually, there is one other item that I did experience as a Scoutmaster. We had a lad who was approaching his 18th birthday and had not completed three required merit badges. His dad wanted me to agree that he, the dad, had instructed his son on the merit badges. As bad as I felt for the boy, I could not do this. First it was not true and second, the boy had passed on numerous opportunities to earn the badges. He did not earn his Eagle and his dad hasn't spoken to me in years.

It's too bad that some adults don't value the BSA for what it can offer a boy. It's certainly about more than a line on a resume.

The values learned in Scouting are about as vintage as you can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112