Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Screen Names...

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade VHS Sleeve said:
If you think keeping up with one Jones is exciting, try keeping up with two of them!

Harrison Ford dons his rumpled fedora for the third time as Indiana Jones, and Sean Connery joins the thrill-a-minute fun as Indy's feisty dad. Filmmakers Steven Spielberg and George Lucas make sure this father-son duo never lack for adventure. The Joneses set out to find the mystically-empowered Holy Grail - and encounter so many spectacular pursuits and narrow escapes that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is more than the culmination of Indy's exploits. It's "the greatest adventure in film history".
That's mine. Plain and simple. I don't even really know why I picked it...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've been "Doctor Strange" on several other boards/forums, so I figured that I'd keep it here.

Doctor Strange is a classic Marvel Comics character created in the early sixties by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. He is a white magician who acts as our planet/universe's protector from a wide range of mystical threats from other dimensions, etc. Unique among the Marvel heroes of the time, he is not a "super" hero - he was not born a mutant, nor the subject of an experiment or space flight gone wrong. His only power is his intellect: he has *studied* magical lore to the point of becoming Earth's Sorceror Supreme. (And he's a "Doctor" because he was a surgeon earlier in his life - he's also unusual in that he's middle-aged, not a teenager like Spider-Man initially was, or a young adult like most popular Marvel characters.)

And far from being the usual slugfests, Doctor Strange stories are typically about cosmic forces warring in surrealistic other dimensions - very much of the psychedelic sixties. In place of physical violence, you get characters throwing mysterious force beams at one another while speaking absurd incantations ("By the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak, I bid you Halt in the Name of the Eternal Vishanti!") It's great stuff, but the character hasn't always been successful - he's something of an acquired taste - and his starring comic books have usually been canceled after a few years. For more detail, see:

http://www.docstrange.com/main/dsseries.asp

Anyway, I have always gravitated to wizards and such (and I used to do a magic act as a teenager), so I love the character. Plus, the fact that he *studied* his way to mastery, rather than being gifted, makes him an inspirational, more believable hero in a Batman-like way.

Oh, and speaking of things mystical - Zohar, I had assumed that you had taken your name from the classic book of Jewish mysticism for a little sense of Ark-of-the-Covenant Indy connection. See:

http://www.mystae.com/restricted/streams/scripts/zohar.html

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yeah, I've been getting asked that over the past year or so. I just thought it was a funny looking name.

Even more reason to change it, I guess. I don't want to be trampling over somebody's beliefs.

Kent Allard

New in Town
Kent Allard was a WWI flying ace who later made the choice to fight evil in the guise of "The Shadow". I've been listening to "The Shadow" radio program for years and then started reading the pulps. Lamont Cranson was too obvious but Kent Allard was just obscure enough that only true Shadow fans or vintage folks would know what it meant.

Jake

One of the Regulars
Mine screen name, as stated in another post is from various Jakes. Jake Speed, Jake Cutter, Jake Gittes, Jake Kowalski(Vanishing Point) I guess Jake just has an adventurous sound to it.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fairly obvious I suppose; Hemingway is my favorite writer and Indiana Jones is one of my favorite films characters. Plus, they come together in the 1930s sense of adventure. I created this name for another forum, so now I consider it my Internet alias, for my web page and my Fotki page.

It is ironic that Hemingway Jones is much more famous than I am. If you do a Google search for my real name, a famous neurologist comes up. The gentleman is very accomplished and totally overwhelms my few citations. You do a search on "Hemingway Jones" and I am all over the place, or rather, He is. Sometimes I refer to HJ in the 3rd person. -Perhaps the internet is unhealthy afterall!

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
name

My name is Jason. For some reason one day my wife started calling me Mr. Jason. Then out of the blue a few people at work started calling me Mr. Jason, not knowing my wife calls me that sometimes. So I figured what the heck. I don't get called it around work that much but now and then someone will sneak it in.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Mr. Jason said:
For some reason one day my wife started calling me Mr. Jason. Then out of the blue a few people at work started calling me Mr. Jason, not knowing my wife calls me that sometimes.

They are obviously differing to your excellent taste in headwear as a sign of respect! Congratulations on your succesful training program! :)

D

Deleted member 259

Carpecaligo is latin - an easy way to make sure you can always register with the same screenname.

Carpe: sieze
Caligo: (it's kind of a vague term) darkness, obscurity, mental darkness, calamity or affliction

Basically, Seize the Unknown.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I have three things hanging above my desk, a photo of Robert Mitchum and the posters for Chinatown and Barton Fink. I figured "Robert Mitchum" was not so good, so I went with an amalgam of the lead characters' names from the film posters. Hence, Jake (Jake Gittes) and Fink ((Barton Fink).

I'd have gone with a straight Jake, but it was already taken. :rage: :cry: ;)

Trickeration

Practically Family
Trickeration is from Cab Calloway's Hepster's Dictionary. It means 'light stacotto swing' or 'muggin lightly and politely'. I play drums in a couple of swing bands, and when I'm togged to the bricks for a night out, I like to strut my stuff 'just a little' ;) . Trix

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto