Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my first leather jacket……in Japan. Aero? Rainbow Country? (w/ pics)

ChubbMuff

New in Town
ChubbMuff, was going to try on the Westerner and snap a photo for you but they are out of stock. The owner said they can order it and have it on stock in a couple of months, but are not currently carrying it. Have you seen this one? Fantastic looking jacket in deerskin.

img57208409.jpg

Man that is a sweet jacket - but not a patch on the Westerner. I just love the detail.

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
Not sure if the protocol is to resurrect a dormant thread or start a new one, but I just wanted to share a slight modification to my Rainbow Country jacket, and give an update.

First, the update. Love the jacket! So awesome. Think I've worn it everyday since picking it up. There are two small concerns. First, if I was going custom, would get sateen in the sleeves. Second, I'd like another half inch to inch in the sleeves. They're riding up with creasing. Still touch my hands though when arms are at my side, so nothing too bad. Anyway, these two issues aren't enough to deter me love.

And for the customization. The jacket came with a vintage-esque Waldes ball and chain on the chest pocket. I realize it was historically correct or whatever, but it always reminded me of a cheap pen chained to a bank counter. So I visited the wonderful Leather Arts and Craft MOTO in Tokyo yesterday and they were oh so kind as to swap out the ball and chain for me. Lord knows I only need one ball and chain anyway! Sorry for the poor pics, totally overcast today.

IMG_5101.jpg

IMG_5103.jpg

The leather is a piece of deerskin that very well matched the red-brown of the jacket. Hardware is silver and the centerpiece is a "concho", a Native American sun design that MOTO uses in a lot of their work. Agreed not to broadcast the details, but let's just say they hooked me up!!!

If you ever have a chance to make it to Moto or MOTOR (their second branch) in Aoyama,Tokyo, I promise you will be delighted! Everyone in the Motoike family works with leather, and they are the true keepers of the craftsman legacy of Japan. Have a look at their work here:

http://www.motostyle.jp/

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks HD! BUT, I'm now remembering that my idea was less original than I thought. That photo jogged my memory. I saw it previously and thought "what a cool idea!". Guess I subconsciously stole the idea from you! Looks great by the way!

Also picked up a scarf to push this jacket further into winter!

IMG_5110.jpg

Thanks HD! BUT, I'm now remembering that my idea was less original than I thought. That photo jogged my memory. I saw it previously and thought "what a cool idea!". Guess I subconsciously stole the idea from you! Looks great by the way!

Also picked up a scarf to push this jacket further into winter!

IMG_5110.jpg

Great style and colors! Now all you need is a vintage style cap to wrap it all up. ;)

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks HD! I've actually got a tweed cap from Hanna Hats that I've been wearing for many years now. Looks great with the jacket, but I might look for another at some point.

@WMD, I don't actually know. I can try and find out for you if you'd like. My guess is that it will depend on the retailers. Some might subtract, some might not. By the way, we are expecting a rise in sales tax! From 5% to 10% by 2015.

Edit: I believe the reason that they list both with and without sales tax prices is that there was a new law a few years back that required them to.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
I'm going to weigh in here. The jackets look great, but the half belt is kinda high up the back for a true vintage look. I like both of them despite this fact, however. Knit picking about every little "authentic" detail is often counterproductive. I didn't read through all sixteen pages, so forgive me if the jackets were purchased long ago. . . .

This said, I'm a die-hard fan of Aero's half belts. To me, they just can't be beat, and you can certainly buy them in Japan! In fact, Japanese customers have great taste and often "one up" we Americans with cool, creative ideas and requests. I sometimes see them on Aero's "used" website page. Also, occasionally, Aero will end up making jackets for everyone that have already been big sellers in Japan for Aero sellers there. Japanese buyers really appreciate vintage styles, that's for sure.

Ironically, a lot of the best hides come from America that Aero makes into jackets. Of course, Aero of Scotland makes better half belts than anything I've seen come out of London recently, at least online.

The whole world is indeed a village when it comes to half belts! Did Hillary once say that? Gads, I hope not.

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
WMD, you're right. But, then again, you're kind of at the will of the retailer as well. Although you have the ultimate trump card in not buying. I asked my friend and will get back to you with an answer.

Gambetto, the jacket has been purchased. It's interesting to hear you say that it's not authentic. I really have no idea what's authentic or not. But the Rainbow Country Single Rider's is definitely based off a Hercules model from the 1930s. See here:

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.jp/2011/11/1930s-hercules-horsehide-jacket.html

Gambetto

Familiar Face
I just went back and saw the jacket you ended up buying. It looks fantastic. Very strong color choice and the hide rocks. I'm no expert, so don't quote me. I just know what I've seen online surfing through pics of older half belts from long ago. At any rate, the jacket you picked couldn't look any better.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Youch! To be more specific, the above info was acquired from John Lofgren at Speedway in Sendai, so it's definitely correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner