Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my first leather jacket……in Japan. Aero? Rainbow Country? (w/ pics)

Edward

Bartender
Funny you should mention that. After I decided to get this one, I said something to my wife along the lines of "if I were to get a second one, it would be something like______". She gave me an awfully scary glare. I told that to the owner of Mushmans today and he said he has three customer who buy a new jacket every year, but don't tell their wives. They store them in the closet at the shop!

I used to know someone who had a business plan to do just that for men..... except it involved, well, dresses in that case. ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nicely done Ish, nicely done! Very nice looking jacket. Lucky basterd. Living in one of the great cities of the world with not one but SEVERAL custom jacket makers about... Ah'm jealous but happy for you.

Worf

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Will post some more pics over the weekend.

Very fortunate that the weather has just turned nice and chilly. Looking forward to putting some wear on this jacket!

fathergoose

New in Town
Been really enjoying this thread. *I live in Shikoku, much closer to Hiroshima than to Tokyo, and a lot more countrified. Still, there are at least three vintage and repro dealers within a five minute walk from where I live. *In the entertainment district, I often see groups of guys, always guys it seems, on the town and all decked out in forties-style, stiff denim repros, fedoras or newsboys and engineer boots and watch chains. *Always an inspiration. *It's one of the nice things about living in Japan and almost compensates for the complete absence of diners. By the way, autumn has arrived in the Empire, time to get out my own leather jackets. Life is good. Beautiful jackets, Ishmael!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Just spotted the jacket on the Rakuten site but called the 'Caboose Jacket'.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/topjimmy/item/freewheelers831005/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en

I don't know what language transfer program they used to get from Japanese to English but the result in the jacket description is priceless :D

"Because it becomes the horsehide, and the cloth applies dye thinly, I wear it, and a color of the groundwork appears and can enjoy a secular variation"

"It is the first place to be able to enjoy of the secular variation with a classical atmosphere"

After reading that, you've just got to buy one! Shame they don't seem to have any stock :D

Ishmael

Practically Family
@ fathergoose, glad to meet another Japan-based member on FL! Shikoku is beautiful, you're a lucky man. Been to 3 of the 4 "countries" of Shikoku, but not Ehime.

The interest in Americana, workwear etc is indeed a fascinating part of life here. And, you're right about the weather. I couldn't have had better timing with my jacket purchase!

@Cooperson, Yes the translations can be hilarious. But, not when you receive papers and emails rendered into unintelligible English by translation programs!
The Caboose jacket is made at the same factory as the Rainbow Country. It has a few nicer features (stylish lining, corduroy in pockets and under collar), and also a different back with bi-swing (or something like that). And it's also significantly more yen.

Ishmael

Practically Family
These post-purchase pics will be rather anti-climatic, since you've all seen the jacket on me and all, but let me introduce my new:
Rainbow Country's "Single Riders Jacket" in "Red Brown" (size 40).

The jacket is based off a Sears & Roebuck Hercules branded Cossack jacket from the 1930s.

1.jpg

2.jpg

http://vintageengineerboots.blogspot.jp/2011/11/1930s-hercules-horsehide-jacket.html

Without further ado, fit pics. Sorry for the less than optimal pics, and even worse facial expressions. Photographer and model I am not, to say the least.

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5031.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5047.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

I love this jacket. Wasn't sure about the color at first, but it has really grown on me.

I'd like to once more thank everybody here on the lounge for advice, support and constant encouragement to buy this jacket!

Last edited:

BobJ

Practically Family
Yipee! - I get to be the first one to say YOU NAILED IT! :eusa_clap That jacket was made for you. I can't wait to see what it looks like after ten years of hard wear! :)

Also I'd like to thank you for sharing your journey with us. I thoroughly enjoyed following the process - didn't miss a post!

Bob

Ishmael

Practically Family
Hi Bob, thanks for the kind comment, appreciate it. I'm jealous of all you guys with custom jackets, but I figure this is as close to a custom fit as one can hope for off the rack. I'm looking forward to posting some pics after ten years of hard wear, but I'll be sure to post some aging updates before that mark as well! Thanks for following along!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Outstanding choice... wear it well... keep a good eye on it. Nobody here my size and build so I never have to worry bout a jacket getting "borrowed". That thing looks soooo sweet and fits soooo right.. I'd be paranoid all the time.

Worf

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks Worf. Will be keeping both eyes on it, or even better both arms in it! Thankfully we don't have to worry quite as much here about crime.

Thanks Butte. I'll let you pick the color on my second jacket! If you also pick up the tab. :D The shirt is from Spellbound. Same as the one linked to below, but it's a newer model w/o contrast stitching.

http://www.oipolloi.com/spellbound-work-shirt-olive

Edward

Bartender
Jacket looks great.... I'll definitely be checking those out if ever I make it over your way and have some cash to spare....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland