Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my first leather jacket……in Japan. Aero? Rainbow Country? (w/ pics)

philosophy101

A-List Customer
Ishmael,

Good that you waited to see the seal before choosing.

All three colors look great, and the fit is (still) perfect. But between the black and the seal, I'd definitely go with seal.

As to seal vs. red-brown, I'd suggest you consider the following: the red-brown really brings out the reddish tones in your hair and beard, while the seal does not do that. You may or may not want that effect, so think about it in making your decision. I've found that, in the long run, the way the color of a garment (or hat, etc.) "interacts" with your hair/eye color and skin tone is much more important than what other clothing it works with, especially so with a fine leather jacket that you are likely to own for many, many years. Pants and shoes come and go, but hair/eye/skin stay with you (usually!).

I hope that helps!

Ishmael,Good that you waited to see the seal before choosing. All three colors look great, and the fit is (still) perfect. But between the black and the seal, I'd definitely go with seal. As to seal vs. red-brown, I'd suggest you consider the following: the red-brown really brings out the reddish tones in your hair and beard, while the seal does not do that. You may or may not want that effect, so think about it in making your decision. I've found that, in the long run, the way the color of a garment (or hat, etc.) "interacts" with your hair/eye color and skin tone is much more important than what other clothing it works with, especially so with a fine leather jacket that you are likely to own for many, many years. Pants and shoes come and go, but hair/eye/skin stay with you (usually!).I hope that helps!

The reason I chose the seal was I thought it was a nice contrast to the hair. And BTW, hair doesn't stay the same color, I know lol Either jacket looks good Fit doesn't get much better than that.

Last edited:

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I like Seal as it is just a more versatile color IMO. I feel the way with shoes. I actually had some lighter browns/tan/almost orangish dress shoes, but once I got a dark brown pair, they became my go to pair as they looked good with pretty much everything...except a tuxedo.

I like Seal as it is just a more versatile color IMO. I feel the way with shoes. I actually had some lighter browns/tan/almost orangish dress shoes, but once I got a dark brown pair, they became my go to pair as they looked good with pretty much everything...except a tuxedo.
I agree. I just got my first russet jacket and it's tougher to find things that look OK with it. Seal, OTOH, is wearable with most anything. Another 2¢

Ish, Having seen the 3 on you- I'd go for the red-brown. I think it suits you extremely well. And it seems that it is a very unique jacket. I've seen pictures of the originals in both black and brown, but not the russet...
My thought is that if you are going to plop down that much on a jacket, why not stand out- in a good way...
I have a reddish brown leather backpack that is 15 years old and has travelled the world, and it looks better today than when I bought it. I think it will age and patina beautifully for you...get it a bit messed up! Try on the Heron, but I think you should get the Rainbow.

I like the red brown as well. I think it compliments your coloring..and should age with great charactor. Second choice would be the First Anniversary model for me. All look good,though.
HD

Ishmael

Practically Family
Ishmael, that jacket is superb! Ill take the "throwaway" seal :lol:

Just say the word, well, and send some money!

I suggest you wield your credit card and c-h-a-r-g-e.

A very good suggestion.

So, did you get the red brown?

Not yet.

Ishmael,

Good that you waited to see the seal before choosing.

All three colors look great, and the fit is (still) perfect. But between the black and the seal, I'd definitely go with seal.

As to seal vs. red-brown, I'd suggest you consider the following: the red-brown really brings out the reddish tones in your hair and beard, while the seal does not do that. You may or may not want that effect, so think about it in making your decision. I've found that, in the long run, the way the color of a garment (or hat, etc.) "interacts" with your hair/eye color and skin tone is much more important than what other clothing it works with, especially so with a fine leather jacket that you are likely to own for many, many years. Pants and shoes come and go, but hair/eye/skin stay with you (usually!).

I hope that helps!

Great points! One problem is that the shop is quite dark, so it can be very difficult to get a good read on these things. They have a large mirror, but I have to stand out 6 inches from it to see the true color. I think I like the way the red brown "interacts" with my skin, hair etc. Perhaps I'm tentative to pick up the red brown only because it wasn't the sort of color I planned to go with. It's growing on me though.

The reason I chose the seal was I thought it was a nice contrast to the hair. And BTW, hair doesn't stay the same color, I know lol Either jacket looks good Fit doesn't get much better than that.

I agree. I just got my first russet jacket and it's tougher to find things that look OK with it. Seal, OTOH, is wearable with most anything. Another 2¢

Thanks Butte. I think the red brown may be slightly more versatile than russet, but I'm really not sure.

Ish, Having seen the 3 on you- I'd go for the red-brown. I think it suits you extremely well. And it seems that it is a very unique jacket. I've seen pictures of the originals in both black and brown, but not the russet...
My thought is that if you are going to plop down that much on a jacket, why not stand out- in a good way...
I have a reddish brown leather backpack that is 15 years old and has travelled the world, and it looks better today than when I bought it. I think it will age and patina beautifully for you...get it a bit messed up! Try on the Heron, but I think you should get the Rainbow.

Thanks! The owner at Mushmans has also been making some of the same points, particularly that the red brown is going to age and develop a nice patina in a much more dramatic fashion than the others. He suggests that it will lose a lot of the red and become more brown with time. I agree with your comment about standing out. Might as well!

I like the red brown as well. I think it compliments your coloring..and should age with great charactor. Second choice would be the First Anniversary model for me. All look good,though.
HD

The first anniversary "California Brown" may also have been my first choice. At least I would like to see it! The owner at Mushmans has one, but it wasn't with him yesterday.
Thanks for the "red brown" suggestion for me!

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Joining the chorus I think the red brown is tops (although you won't regret the seal either). Not to throw a complication into the mix but I've been fascinated by these RC since your initial post and I've been looking for other stockists. Am I wrong or does standard workwear have the same jackets for substantially less:

http://www.standard-workwear.com/

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks Horsehide!

That would appear to be the case. The price on the buffalo version is the same, but their horsehide versions are over $100 less. (that wouldn't be enough for me to purchase there, when I've received such great service this far).

I'm wondering if they actually have them in stock. This may be pricing from a previous season. Perhaps they have a few left in stock, but not a full run. I can call them today. Is there something in particular you're after.

Happy to enable.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
I don't need any help!!!!

As far as the price differential goes I thought it was much more - ~$1800 versus ~$2200. For a $100 differential I would stay with Mushman's as well. Let us know when the HB arrives (now that many of us are living vicariously through you we grow impatient)!

Gancho

One of the Regulars
I would go for the seal with the olive lining!

Ishmael, go for one of these. After many expiriences with custom jackets, I can say that it could take two jackets and more than half a year of waiting before you get a jacket that fits like this. Expensive, but you know what you get and it is perfect.

Cheers,

Olli

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks Olli, Unfortunately the lining colors are set. Seal/navy. Black/olive. Red brown/beige. The olive is stunning.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Misinterpretation from my side, the black seem to be brown in my eyes.

Brown and blue is also a brilliant combination.

Regards from upwaking europe.

O

ChubbMuff

New in Town
Hi Ishmael,

Let me start by saying how jealous I am that you are able to visit and select from Mushmans store. I stumbled across their online store by accident about 18 months ago and fell in love with this:

Westernerfront.jpg

Westernerback.jpg

I have been unable to find anything like it since and it is out of my price range out the moment - however it is hands down the most stylistically perfect jacket for me I have seen. But I don't speak Japanese and can't afford the flight so I am content to just have a little peek and sigh occasionally.

As I am sure you are aware there are many people on here with an encyclopedic knowledge of leather and style, however, as an opinion for what it's worth I think the red/brown looks the best. It is a touch bolder than the other two (although either one of those would be a great purchase) but for mine the red just stands out a touch more. The fit is spot on and the style really suits your look.

You could also get these:

20576359_o2.jpg

Another thing they sell that is just so rock 'n' roll.

Best of luck, whatever you decide you will be a winner. And try the Westerner jacket on, just for me.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks for your input, truly appreciate it. I've more or less decided to go for the red brown.

I'll try that Westerner on for you and snap a pic. Don't think I have any shoes quite as manly as that jacket though. You're right, I'll have to pick something up. Been thinking about these.

20121020_85571_zps89625e57.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points