Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for my first leather jacket……in Japan. Aero? Rainbow Country? (w/ pics)

Ishmael

Practically Family
Looks like 44 is the limit. I'll ask.....but I've been begging numerous shoe makers here to do a size 12 for a long time, and I can tell you that the odds aren't good.

I don't think I have mentioned this yet, but the leather on the Rainbow Country jackets is the same Japanese horsehide that John Chapman and David Himel are using. Vegetable tanned and aniline finished. It's from the Shinki tannery down in the Kansai region. Along with Horween, Shinki is one of only two cordovan makers in the world. But you guys probably already knew that. I have been pouring over the Goodwear threads on here to check out how it ages, and I have to say I'm impressed. And I've made up my mind. Details and pics to follow tomorrow.

Good night.

Ishmael

Practically Family
More and better pics to follow. But, for now, have a look at what followed me home today.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

I have to say that, after finally getting this thing out of the store and taking it for a spin, it's even better than I thought.

Thanks be to all of you for advice and encouragement!

Cooperson

One Too Many
Very nice indeed, but I liked them all!

Really like the fit of these jackets, perfect length (not too short) and the back view looks as trim as the front. So many post pictures of new half belts that look great from the front, but the back always looks big and baggy to my eye. Just a shame about the price, by the time you cost in shipping, import duty etc. you're into some serious money!

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
Gratulations to your purchase. This is a beatyful jacket and I hope you wear it in good health for many years to come.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Thanks for all the kind words. Promise to get some better photos up soon.

Very nice indeed, but I liked them all!

Really like the fit of these jackets, perfect length (not too short) and the back view looks as trim as the front. So many post pictures of new half belts that look great from the front, but the back always looks big and baggy to my eye. Just a shame about the price, by the time you cost in shipping, import duty etc. you're into some serious money!

That's actually one of the reasons I was drawn to this jacket over the half belt. Not sure if it's my build or the fit of the "off the peg" (as I believe you say) jackets or what, but they all looked huge from behind.

I know the prices are prohibitive. I certainly wouldn't have paid this much without a chance to try on the jacket, or if it hadn't fit so well.

If you want to save on shipping etc, I guess you'll have to make a trip to Japan!

Last edited:

Ishmael

Practically Family
Hi Ishmael,

Let me start by saying how jealous I am that you are able to visit and select from Mushmans store. I stumbled across their online store by accident about 18 months ago and fell in love with this:

Westernerfront.jpg

Westernerback.jpg

And try the Westerner jacket on, just for me.

ChubbMuff, was going to try on the Westerner and snap a photo for you but they are out of stock. The owner said they can order it and have it on stock in a couple of months, but are not currently carrying it. Have you seen this one? Fantastic looking jacket in deerskin.

img57208409.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
Funny you should mention that. After I decided to get this one, I said something to my wife along the lines of "if I were to get a second one, it would be something like______". She gave me an awfully scary glare. I told that to the owner of Mushmans today and he said he has three customer who buy a new jacket every year, but don't tell their wives. They store them in the closet at the shop!

majormajor

One Too Many
That Westerner is cool. Would be nice in dark brown HH, with perhaps simpler pockets. I wonder if Aero would ever do anything like that?................;):D

767fo

One of the Regulars
More and better pics to follow. But, for now, have a look at what followed me home today.

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5023.jpg

I have to say that, after finally getting this thing out of the store and taking it for a spin, it's even better than I thought.

Thanks be to all of you for advice and encouragement!

Very nice jacket!!!!

Nicely done Ishmael!
I think you'll enjoy this one for many years.
Don't be afraid to put it through it's paces...
If I may suggest- don't start buying and hiding extra jackets- this one is a fantastic signature piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points