Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Searching for Waist and Cuffs for Star Sportswear G-1, New or Used.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im Just wondering if anyone could suggest where to Look for Cuffs and a waistband. this is a common problem I come Across hunting old G-1s, Seems the military Cut a lot of the Cuffs off when the Jackets were Taken out of Circulation, and put into Surplus lots. (not sure why this was a practice) Im wondering in terms of Availability, price range and workable variations for my old Beater G-1. A beat up poor thing when I found it, I dont mind if the cuffs are a little Frayed or what have you..

Its a Star Sportswear contract, one of the nicest Finishes Ive ever seen on a G-1 before!!! has that Flaky Cracked look of a WW2 Style Hide, for some Reason I cant ever seem to find another one of this type of Finish. maybe one of you could tell me about it, Its such a patina! beautiful robust Chocolate Brown! :O

It had Ratty waist-cuff-Zipper Replacements mix matched from two different 70s Type Snowmobile Jackets from my guess, also the Zipper Guage was too Heavy and Rubbing off the finish of one of the Zip Seams, time to go. The previous owner was a little more intent on Giving his jacket a pre-mature Time-worn look, Was very abusive to the Sleeves unfortunately.

so, Maybe someone has a spare Zip or cuffs and waist band they dont need, Ebay would cost me more than I spent on the jacket to Get Cuffs and waist band covered, but maybe thats the only way. I Just figure you fellas might be in touch with a guy who knows a guy or something :D

Ive even seen a WW2 Era G-1 where, someones mother or Sweetheart had made very lovely hand-knit Waist and cuffs, Almost tempting me to go that direction, I do have a lovely hand-knit O.D. WW2 Ribbed pattern wool cap that would match, made by my loving ma! :) as a X-mas Present!!! but the New Dye colours just dont have the Right Colour, maybe you could help Identify the colour or even have a knit-pattern I could have.

anyway, Some general Guidance or info on cuffs, no matter how small and insignificant Would be Wonderful.

Im not too overly concerned about the Matching dye-lots or anything, whatever Looks good to you IS good, The Jacket has been Dismantled for some time, and Its almost spring, I want to stitch her back up and enjoy myself in fine fashion again.

Thanks all!

Lando

Practically Family
http://www.johnsonleather.com/alterations.htm

These guys have a great reputation for repairs and alterations. Hope this helps.

Johnson is currently replacing the knits on a Lanlitz flight jacket of mine. I even got them to order some rust colored knits like Aero has for it. You should ask them for knit samples and see if any of their colors work for you. Very easy people to work with and the knits on my M120 have a nice feel to them. Hope any of that helps.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Yikes! My budget wont allow for it unfortunately.

I will most likely have to Find cuffs-waist from another Repro, either that, or Ebay will probly be the same price, for NOS re-treads of military stock.

Save money by Doing my own Repair jobs always.

I could try a vintage leather store I know of In Toronto, Called Flashback (the place I got my jacket back in 1999) for cuffs and waist.

the owner may have what I am looking for, I realized I have the business Card, and should phone or e-mail them instead.

thanks for the link, I will have to do some further browsing there!

-J

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Hm, Ebay looks like its my best bet for Cuffs and waist, I prefer the real deal for that price.

As for a zipper, I had a GREAT match for one of my *Cheapro* (trademark By dumspter Diver :p) bomber jackets using the zipper from a Canadian Issue Parka from the 70s.

had a GREAT Brass Talon Zip on it, looks completely stunning! the Price was right for a mere 20 bucks for the parka at a local thriftstore..It was VERY small of course.

you cant beat the price.

Im sure I will find another zipper in the same way, it just takes time is all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran