Sears Motorcylce Jacket History 1949-1963

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by tmitchell59, Jul 28, 2020.

1. tmitchell59

tmitchell59 My Mail is Forwarded Here

The Sears Allstate jackets were produced by Buco. They were advertised in the Motorcyle parts and accessories section of the catalog. The Allstate jacket don't appear ever year. Must have not sold many, just don't see them today.

jonbuilder likes this.
  2. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Terry did you conclude that Buco made the Sear Allstate label jackets by comparing pictures of Buco jackets against Allstate label Sears jackets or did you come across some reference to the connection. I heard speculation that Buco made jackets for Sears if I remember correctly it was from sellers of Sear D pocket MC jackets.

3. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

Has anyone ever come across a Sears flap pocket MC jacket along the line of Buco PJ or J-27 jackets?
    There was an example of the Sears jacket in one of the catalogs Terry posted here under the Allstate section
    Also, I think we all would be interested in hearing from anyone who has handled an Allstate label Sear jacket

4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Housekeeping note: We do our best to keep spammers out, but if we miss something and you spot it, please report it right away (rather than quoting the spammer and giving them more space and us more work...).

Edit Note by Peacoat: Thanks for catching the spammer posts @scotrace. I had a doc's appointment this morning but took a brief look at the board before I left. Had it been reported, or PM'd to me, I could have dealt with it then.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2020
    Peacoat, ton312 and dannyk like this.
  5. tmitchell59

This is a size 38 Allstate in this thread which appears to be a standard Buco D pocket. The catalog also describes this early jacket with a Wool lining, typical of Buco of that era. Pre-nylon quilt.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...-buco-horsehide-vintage-leather-jacket.93979/

This is the Allstate jacket from the 1949 Catalog

[​IMG]

I do not find anymore Allstate jackets until 1954. I'm not sure if I missed them between 49-54 or they just were not in the catalog. The D pocket is missing from the catalog is this 1954 illustration.

32101_B018026-01089gg.jpg

[​IMG]

6. tmitchell59

Allstate ad from 1952 that I missed
    1952.jpg

Benny Holiday and dannyk like this.
  7. So33

So33 One of the Regulars

Now I'm on the hunt for a Sears horsehide jacket. Thanks guy's.
    A cool accurtrment spotted in the catalogue is the rabbits foot zipper pull.
    I'll have to get one of those too.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  8. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

jonbuilder and dannyk like this.
  9. tmitchell59

I just posted a video in the over 50 thread, at the 2 minute mark is a good look at a 50s Hercules Horsehide.

The rabbit foot is a nice touch! good eye for that Jacket Candy. There is the very cool cap on one page. Never seen a rabbit's foot on a jacket, at least not yet. I had a rabbit foots charm as a kid, not sure they are around today. I have seen the braided trim and most often the jacket in the video, I call the standard HH model. The Allstate jackets are going to be expensive with the Buco affiliation. They show up here, there, and everywhere.

jonesy86, ton312, So33 and 2 others like this.
  10. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

Yeah that looks like it’s in fantastic shape and a very nice jacket. But that price.....nah

JMax likes this.
  11. jonbuilder

jonbuilder One Too Many

The price is consistent with what eBay sellers are asking for Buco J-24s in this condition and if it is the same jacket only a more rare label and you trow in a belt, why would the asking price raise eyebrows?
    Unless I was desperate for the cash I would turn down an offer of $2,400 for my mint Buco J-24.
    I certainly would not sell it for $2,400 to fund the purchase of a new made to order jacket. Now a current Star Glove on eBay maybe another manner?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  12. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

I also think Bucos are overpriced. That’s just me. I understand it’s what the market dictates. I’m not saying they aren’t worth it or aren’t great jackets. So I don’t want anyone to think I’m saying any of that. I’m talking to me personally and me only. For that price I could get a complete custom job from vanson or LW or langlitz that will last me my lifetime. Not have to worry about a very old jacket and all sorts of issues. Again just me. The market is the market, the history is the history, and that one looks to be in great shape. To a lot of people I’m sure it’s totally worth it, just not me. That’s all. Which is why I said that price nah. Just meant not for me. Didn’t mean to say it wasn’t worth it or didn’t have value.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    ton312, Carlos840 and Monitor like this.
  13. Monitor

Monitor

14. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

The Leather on this one is.......interesting. I cant think of any other word to describe this.

tmitchell59 likes this.
  15. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

So I bought this set of jacket and pants a few months ago from a European seller who claimed that they are Buco. The label on the jacket is missing and the seller's photos of the pants do not show any label. When they arrived, I noticed that the pants are actually Allstate which leads me to suspect that the jacket is also Allstate. I am not certain of it but I tried measuring the dimension of the Allstate label against the stitching holes left by the missing label on the jacket and they seem to match to a certain degree. They both have the same shade of grey lining for pockets though the flannel used seem a bit different. As for other labels, the jacket's lining label is still intact and it is the same as Buco's, the pants sizing label also looks the same as Buco. At the very least, the pants are Allstate. And I can say the teacore leather used on both the jacket and the pants are identical to my untrained eyes.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image0 (7).jpeg

jonesy86 and roadking04 like this.
  16. tmitchell59

Beautiful set!

As you see in the Allstate section of the catalog that leather pants were sold. I would assume the jacket and pants were sold together under the Allstate label and produced by Buco. Sure look like high quality items to me. Great find Congratulations!

jonesy86 and dannyk like this.
  17. tmitchell59

I don't even recall seeing one of the "three star" jackets outside of the catalog.

dannyk likes this.
  18. Monitor

Monitor

Wasn't Allstate stuff made by Buco?

This jacket is being sold on Grailed ATM.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/10...-horsehide-ramones-motorcycle-d-pocket-jacket

19. dannyk

dannyk One Too Many

Monitor likes this.
  20. Monitor

Monitor

Yep, that's that seller. He's got some good stuff but the prices honestly seem to be completely at random and I don't understand why's some lousy no-name cross zip pricier than this gem of a Sears.

That Hercules is worth buying. Not many of these still around and I also never saw the three star version in the wild.

dannyk likes this.