Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Second Life

decodoll

Practically Family
Is anyone here a member of Second Life? I just read about this in Popular Science on Monday, and I must say that what computers and the internet can do nowadays still amazes me at times! Anyway, I joined, and my name is Betty Doyle. I'm still on the Learning Island and probably will be for awhile yet! :rolleyes: How wonderful would it be if we could create a little virtual vintage hideaway?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
decodoll said:
Is anyone here a member of Second Life? I just read about this in Popular Science on Monday, and I must say that what computers and the internet can do nowadays still amazes me at times! Anyway, I joined, and my name is Betty Doyle. I'm still on the Learning Island and probably will be for awhile yet! :rolleyes: How wonderful would it be if we could create a little virtual vintage hideaway?

I'm a member of second life. I joined back in 2k4.

FG.

Caledonia

Practically Family
OK. This is a bit spooky. I read a series of novels and thought it was a great story, but didn't really think it would turn up in my lifetime... And here it is... I'm not sure I'm happy about that. What's worse... I can't get remember the reference. No. This is not a cool idea. Stay in realtime. Obviously this is open to discussion and should be. It's our future. Potentially.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
:)

There's no need to fear something like Second Life. It isn't The Matrix.

There are other online games that are far more addictive and popular than this. People - even celebrities - flock to these games and are able to live a normal life.

But like all things, there can be a downside. There are those with addictive personalities that devote their entire existence to such video games. But they are part of a minority.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I noticed on Second Life's website that users pay REAL MONEY for virtual items. I'm sorry, but I would never pay cash for something that isn't even real.

The 10 dollars a month in monthly fees are enough for me.

decodoll

Practically Family
I wouldn't pay for it either. You don't have to even pay the $10 a month. You can get on with the basic membership for free. I am contemplating designing some outfits in Photoshop to see if I can make a few dollars off of it. :) Apparenly, there are people making lots of money off of people that don't mind spending their hard earned cash on things that aren't even real. :eek:

What is you username, FedoraGent? Once I get off this learning island, I'll look ya up. :)

decodoll

Practically Family
TommySalieri said:
lol lol lol lol

That's one way to make a livin'! ;)

Who knows, I might give it a try later on.

lol I think I must have inherited my dad's "always looking for weird ways to make money" gene! If you like that one, you'll really like the one my dad came up with for me. He's decided that I have very photogenic hands, and he wants me to take pics of my hands in different poses. Apparently, people make big bucks doing that and putting them up for sale on Fotolia.

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
decodoll said:
lol I think I must have inherited my dad's "always looking for weird ways to make money" gene! If you like that one, you'll really like the one my dad came up with for me. He's decided that I have very photogenic hands, and he wants me to take pics of my hands in different poses. Apparently, people make big bucks doing that and putting them up for sale on Fotolia.

Hey, I'd pay for something like tha-....I mean, who would pay for something like THAT?:eek:

But seriously though. If it puts a dollar in your wallet, then it's all good, right?

missjo

Practically Family
Whoohoo a zombie thread!
Back from the dead....

Sorry, just had to say that I am in Second Life (Jo Yardley) and yes, in my 1920s Berlin simulation we sell 1920s and 1930s suits and hats for gentlemen ;)

Need a job to buy them?
We are looking for a shoeshine :D

missjo

Practically Family
LocktownDog said:
Wow ... a 4 yr old thread? Must be a new lounge record. :D

I tried Second Life a year or so ago. Just wasn't for me.

I'm a record breaker :)
Do I get a reward?

I tried it as well and didn't like it, till I searched for 1920s, 1930s, 1940s and found some virtual gems that I loved.
99% of Second Life is horrible and to be avoided by old fashioned people like me, but that 1% of that virtual world is a great experience.
In the end a virtual world is what you make of it, if you want to live in a 20 foot high 1926 Fedora hat, you can in Sl :D

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
I had a traumatizing experience when I tried second life...it started off well: flying around Paris and all. Then I got stuck in a virtual tree and couldn't find my way out...I am really hoping it was just a computer glitch because I would like to think I could find my way out of a tree either in real or computer life. [huh]

Once I rebooted and got back in, I tried to change my outfit and ended up with random clothes I couldn't get rid of so I was basically wearing four outfits at once.....sigh....that was when I called it a day....

missjo

Practically Family
MaryMary said:
I had a traumatizing experience when I tried second life...it started off well: flying around Paris and all. Then I got stuck in a virtual tree and couldn't find my way out...I am really hoping it was just a computer glitch because I would like to think I could find my way out of a tree either in real or computer life. [huh]

Once I rebooted and got back in, I tried to change my outfit and ended up with random clothes I couldn't get rid of so I was basically wearing four outfits at once.....sigh....that was when I called it a day....

It takes a little getting used to, like most silly modern computer thingies ;)
But its worth the effort to try again!
If you (or anyone else) would like a hand figuring Second Life out or a tour of 1920s Berlin, give me a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran