Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sedation Dentistry

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Anybody tried sedation (oral) dentistry? I've put something off for too long and now I've got to do it. And I HATE going to the dentist.

Thanks. m

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have never tried it. But, being a dental hygienist, I think it is wonderful. There are many people out there who have a great fear of the dentist. Thus, they put off going to the dentist on a regular basis. This leads to major problems, and by the time they finally go, it is because they need some serious work and are usually in pain. Sedation dentistry can alleviate all pain associated with dental work, such as root canals. I say, if your dentist is offering it, go for it. Also, since you will be sedated, the dentist can do a lot more work at once. With local anesthetics, sometimes the patient is required to come in on more than one visit for completion of work. While sedated, more procedures can be done in one visit. It also alleviates certain fears that are associated with procedures. The patient is much more relaxes, which means the dentist can spend more time concentrating on the procedure, and less time worrying about the patients fears.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
There was a commercial for this on the radio the other day. That was the first I had heard of it.

Personally, I question the ethics, and legality of it. Doctors unnecessarily administering drugs (or gas, I’m not sure how they do it) to there patients.

It really shows the mind set of America these days; just pop a pill and everything will be ok.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Cereal Hero

Generally, When and if I pop a pill then it is at the behest of a doctor.

Watch-out, next thing you know they'll be doing surgery too - the scowndrels!

m

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I have to agree with Daisy. I have assisted in many dental procedures such as dental implants, gum and bone grafts, extractions, etc. and when a patient is completely out it is easier on everyone. Some dentists do it with pills or iv, others have an anesthesiologist come in and use general anesthetic.

Twitch

Just because I have ultra high tolerance to dental pain doen't mean everyone does. And simply because I see dental visits as relaxing also is not the norm. :) If anyone has hesitation in going, note that later you WILL develop a problem that will be much more complex to repair with more pain involved. Use what is readily available to comfort you. The true oral surgery events require complete anesthetic instead of local anyway so there's not much choice.

Of course we must remember there is always a possibility, even though it is slim, that we might not wake up again. It never hurts to make peace before you go under:)

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Thanks all for your words. Saw the man today - root canal. A little valium the night before then they hit you with the happy pill just before the procedure (and the usual novacain). May add a little gas to the equation as well. Never unconcious but VERY adaptable to the situation. 3k vs 300 were I to have taken care of all this earlier. Stupid me!

m

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Having recently developed a strange reaction to the "novocaine" used in dental offices -ie I do not go numb[huh] ; I am a big fan of sedation dentistry.

Finding out the hard way that the conventional drugs to not dull the pain has left me with an aversion to dentistry that I never experienced before. Believe me, you do not want to experience dentistry without "a little pill", nor should anyone be asked to do so.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
DancingSweetie said:
I have to agree with Daisy. I have assisted in many dental procedures such as dental implants, gum and bone grafts, extractions, etc. and when a patient is completely out it is easier on everyone. Some dentists do it with pills or iv, others have an anesthesiologist come in and use general anesthetic.
Some of that is major stuff, which is ok.

The commercial I heard made it sound like they put you out for anything, even cleanings and minor cavities. I consider that excessive, and irresponsible.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Serial Hero said:

The commercial I heard made it sound like they put you out for anything, even cleanings and minor cavities. I consider that excessive, and irresponsible.

Hmm. As I once went through 5 dentists in a week in an effort to get a cavity filled, I disagree. Minor as it may be, it certainly feels major. In fact I was very surprised at the caution in using drugs. While I understand that Dentists do not wish to send their patients on the road to addiction, or prescribe drugs to those faking their conditions, I asked if this was a major concern. Are there large numbers of people faking cavities to get painkillers? Wouldn't the lack of cavities tip off the dentist? And doesn't the drilling and filling taking the fun out of drug abuse?

If it gets patients in the chair I think it is worthwhile. It is my understanding that this cavities will be rare in coming years.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Serial Hero said:

I'm not one to want drugs for these things, heck I had my wisdoms pulled and 2 root canals with just run of the mill lidocaine, but I'm a tough chick when it comes to pain. I have encountered several patients in my experience that are afraid of getting their teeth cleaned because even that hurts. Usually it is due to not having them cleaned in years and there is a ton of calculus to scrape off. You wouldn't believe the low thresholds of pain on some people though.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Sedation dentistry seems like it would take a gigantic amount of trust. "Sure, knock me out and leave my wallet and goodies alone, awright?"

Yeah, I'd rather keep my eye on those medical types.

I used to hate going to the dentist in the 80's, but things have come leaps and bounds since then, and the last few times I've gone have been completely painless and trouble free. They spray this numbing agent in your mouth so you don't even feel the 'freezing' needles. If I have to go again, I won't hesitate. But I'll need to see what's going on.

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Had my root canal last Tuesday. 10mg diazapam the night before and .25 halcion an hour before the appt. Was pretty concious during the whole thing but not anxious at all. Slept 12 hours straight afterwords.

The doc ground the top of the tooth down until it was just a cup of enamel anchored by the roots. He reamed the root canal with little dental pipe cleaners and filled the voids with some kind of cement (all adhesives now he says - no more posts). Completely painless during and no pain afterwords. Built-up a temporary filling until the crown gets glued in.

He did find a small cavity which he'll take care of with the water laser - says no novacaine required - we'll see.

No side effects from the meds - except a good day's sleep. I highly recommend this approach to anyone who has a fear of dentists.

m

flat-top

I am TERRIFIED of the dentist. I have a few issues that I've been putting off myself. But now are you saying that, since you are so sedated there is no novacaine being used (shots)? Those huge needles coming towards me are the stuff of childhood nightmares! My mom's dentist gave her valium for before her visits, but that isn't what you are talking about, right?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Sable said:
Sedation dentistry seems like it would take a gigantic amount of trust. "Sure, knock me out and leave my wallet and goodies alone, awright?"

Yeah, I'd rather keep my eye on those medical types.

You know, this wasn't bothering me at all, and I was thinking its a great idea. But at least two of my girlfriends are all "you're gonna let some man you don't know work on you while you're out cold?!"

So maybe not. Or I'll post a guard! That's it I'll bring my brother in with me!lol

Viola

carebear

When I had my wisdom teeth out I got a nice cocktail of valium and demerol. Highly recommended (if I ever pick up a habit, that's definitely on my list). I was awake but felt no pain and really wasn't interested in what was going on. Oh children, look at the colors.... :D

I can understand using painkillers for procedures but I dislike being unconscious and helpless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany