Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SEERSUCKER ALERT!!

griffer

Practically Family
This might be hijacking a bit, but I continue to be on the fence about Jos A Banks.

I have had some of their shirts in the past, a blazer, shoes, a tie or two, and various accessories, but I don't like their suits as separates. I believe one suit should be cut from the same bolt- JaB can't deliver that. And the fit is so modern American casual.

Does anyone remember a time when JaB was more up market? Is my memory flawed or did they drift down market as they expanded?

Bottom line- is $180 for a seersucker really a good deal, or does the JaB quality negate that?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
griffer said:
This might be hijacking a bit, but I continue to be on the fence about Jos A Banks.

I have had some of their shirts in the past, a blazer, shoes, a tie or two, and various accessories, but I don't like their suits as separates. I believe one suit should be cut from the same bolt- JaB can't deliver that. And the fit is so modern American casual.

Does anyone remember a time when JaB was more up market? Is my memory flawed or did they drift down market as they expanded?

Bottom line- is $180 for a seersucker really a good deal, or does the JaB quality negate that?

Once or twice a year, JAB has their seersucker and poplin suits for $99. Given that, I'd be hesitant to pay $180. That said, I paid about that much for mine a few years ago, and I've been happy enough with it. There are styling details I'd rather do without (i.e., uber-padded shoulders), but for the money it's fine.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I think they used to be more like Brooks Brothers years ago- that is when Brooks Brothers was like Brooks Brothers- but they're a pretty good value when you can find something on sale that fits you. I don't think there's much they sell that I'd pay full price for, but some of their sale items are pretty reasonable.

And yes, I could do without the uber-padded shoulders myself. I don't know why anyone thinks that's a good look[huh] !

Jerekson

One Too Many
Jos. A. Bank has some very nice looking suits.
A while back I was contemplating buying one of their Business express DB jackets for $50 (yes, $50...uber sale), but I was discouraged when I found out that they didn't carry it in my size.

Personally, I think Bank is useless at full price. Far too epensive for suits that are nothing special, and just like alot of other suits.

However, Bank has been known to have pretty much a different sale every day, so sometimes you can luck out.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Everyone on the planet seems to be offering seersucker suits this summer.
Besides Jos. A. Bank, I have found many others at several local and online retailers.
Good to know we have lots of options for seersucker.
Personally, however, I prefer cord over seersucker. It's the same striped look but a much softer textile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo