Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

self-concious in my fedora

FATS88

One of the Regulars
YIPES!

:eek:fftopic: They look like two of the corpsmen "armed" with pneumatic syringe guns,
when I went through the overseas inoculations line at Fort Dix:eek:

Fats

awest84532

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Wonder which one is the brains of that outfit?[huh]
The one with the watch on is the brains of the outfit. He may not be able to tell time, but he knows he should change his shirt every three months and nobody knows his watch doesn't work.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Self Conscious without a hat

I wonder how many hat aficionados here now feel self conscious without a hat? Or feel self conscious if they wear the wrong hat? I wear a tie most days, and normally wear a newsboy or sometimes (increasingly) wear a Fedora. I know that on the odd occasions I start to pick up a ball cap, if I'm wearing a tie, I feel weird about it, and opt for something else.

I don't mind mixing current clothing with fedoras or newsboys at all, as I don't think of them as vintage. But I do feel odd wearing a ball cap if I'm wearing a tie.

Goose.

Practically Family
Yep Pat...
Like GTD, it's just not right for me to be outside without a hat. One of those rare times, drove about a block down the street and went back to get my Sydney. Felt naked without it :rolleyes:

Wil Tam

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Yep Pat...
Like GTD, it's just not right for me to be outside without a hat. One of those rare times, drove about a block down the street and went back to get my Sydney. Felt naked without it :rolleyes:

yup, I definitely know that feeling ... I can't leave the house without a hat on me noggin nowadays [huh]

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Pat_H said:
But I do feel odd wearing a ball cap if I'm wearing a tie.

As well, I think, you should. :)

Y'know, it's been a while since I've been in the big city business life and clothes are so casual year round here in Florida. But when I first read someone here commenting on men in suits wearing baseball caps of all things, I truly thought they were kidding. I didn't realize that this had actually become something anyone would consider doing. I still don't get it but I now understand that it is done in certain circles. [huh]

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
Perhaps the next trend will be suits with trousers worn with the waist at mid-thigh level and the jacket tucked into the boxers on full display. :rolleyes: lol

:eek: lol lol lol Coming to a big city near you...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Havana said:
You will get the occassional Indy/Bogart/Crocodile Dundee/cowboy remarks. Many people make these remarks with little thought and don't always intend it to be insulting. Just take those in stride. You will encounter some fools and jerks along life's path who can only feel good about themselves by mocking others. You'll probably encounter more of this if you're younger. Never forget where they're coming from and how lowly they must feel if they can only bring attention to themselves by mocking another person's clothing. That's quite pathetic actually.

The only people who 'mock,' or otherwise laugh at me in a fedora are about 5 years old. So take negative comments from adults from where they come - from the mind of a 5-year-old.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
In my experience, the common factor in those who look good in clothing is simply this: they are COMFORTABLE in what they wear.

I've seen guys with questionable taste in busines dressing look decent (not great) in outfits that would have been terrible on anyone else - mainly because they were completely comfortable in them. But they looked OK, because what they were wearing was comfortable to them. They had a level of self-confidence that others would have lacked.

Because of that, my suggestion about wearing a hat is the same I give to graduating students who need to wear a shirt and tie to interviews and don't want to look uncomfortable: wear them at home for a few days. Get used to the feel and the look. Then when you go out, the familiarity will help you avoid worrying about it or feeling self-conscious.

Over time, as a style or accessory becomes part of your reflexes and habit, it comes to look more natural on you.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I think havana said it best , but if you are unsure regarding which hat suits you , ask a woman ,wife , girlfriend trusted acqaintance , they usually have a good eye for what looks right and they love to be asked to help with fashion issues.
But remember you ! have to feel comfortable in your chosen style.

MrBadExample

New in Town
Trebuchet64_Fal said:
I think havana said it best , but if you are unsure regarding which hat suits you , ask a woman ,wife , girlfriend trusted acqaintance , they usually have a good eye for what looks right and they love to be asked to help with fashion issues.

Yeah, if your wife and girlfriend agree that the hat looks good on you, you're good to go.

Goose.

Practically Family
Pilgrim said:
Over time, as a style or accessory becomes part of your reflexes and habit, it comes to look more natural on you.

MrBadExample said:
Yeah, if your wife and girlfriend agree that the hat looks good on you, you're good to go.
Yep, but there are some hats that just don't work for a person. The slap in your face along with a "snap out of it" is helpful. As much as I wanted a Hampton, I knew when I put it on that it wasn't gonna work. But I wore it once or twice anyway. Wife and a freind said "nope"...and gave their reasons why...face too fat for a shorter brim. Stated my Federation looked better on me.

So, I know the Homburg I expect today most likely won't work. But, like the Hampton, I "had" to have one. It will most likely end up back in its' box like the Hampton. Will have to sell them like a South Vietnamese M-16 rifle..."never used, dropped once".

Speaking of which, how long before an Akubra becomes "Vintage"? :)

So, find your style and give it a try...but don't think that every hat will work for you. It's all about finding it and being confident in it.
Like that one true love, you'll know it when it happens. Happened to me with my wife and my Federation.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
Yep, but there are some hats that just don't work for a person. The slap in your face along with a "snap out of it" is helpful. As much as I wanted a Hampton, I knew when I put it on that it wasn't gonna work. But I wore it once or twice anyway. Wife and a freind said "nope"...and gave their reasons why...face too fat for a shorter brim. Stated my Federation looked better on me.

So, I know the Homburg I expect today most likely won't work. But, like the Hampton, I "had" to have one. It will most likely end up back in its' box like the Hampton. Will have to sell them like a South Vietnamese M-16 rifle..."never used, dropped once".

Speaking of which, how long before an Akubra becomes "Vintage"? :)

So, find your style and give it a try...but don't think that every hat will work for you. It's all about finding it and being confident in it.
Like that one true love, you'll know it when it happens. Happened to me with my wife and my Federation.

Pure poetry.
icon14.gif

And a lot of good advice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Stern-Hank

New in Town
aldocello said:
About 12 years ago I was playing in an informal bluegrass band. I bought myself an Open Road to emulate the players of old like Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe, etc. I wore my new hat to a party we were playing at and our bass player practically laughed me out of the place and said I looked like a bad Southern sheriff. Needless to say I was embarassed. I let that Open Road sit in the closet for a few years and everytime I looked at it my face turned bright red. I finally gave it to the Goodwill (somebody got themselves a heck of a deal, I'm sure).

I just bought myself a Dobbs OR clone on ebay and I've worn it out a few times, but I have to admit I'm very self-conscious about wearing a hat. Has anybody else had experiences like this?

If I get self conscious about my hat, I think about all the people that have dragons and god knows what else tattooed all over their bodies and they're going to give me crap because I wear a hat?

HA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats