Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seller Comments?

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have experience with cowtowns_revenge? I just lost out on a very nice vintage suit there, but he seems to have some other stuff. Feedback seem generally positive.

I know that many of you here can recognize sellers and that many of them aren't, let's say, too accurate in their dating of clothing.

Since I'm not either (accurate in dating), I'd like to get some feedback on sellers that I should be wary of until I sharpen my eye.

Cheers,
- SteveN

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1930's 3pc flecked suit?

If so, that was the one I was going for too. But it just went up to silly money in the end. Nice looking SB suit in good condition and a nice size. But I'm not familiar with the person/people selling it.

SteveN

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
If so, that was the one I was going for too. But it just went up to silly money in the end. Nice looking SB suit in good condition and a nice size. But I'm not familiar with the person/people selling it.

That's the one. I was amazed that it went for so high an amount myself.

Out of interest, what should the jacket have gone for? I realise that it's whatever the market will bear, but I'd like to get a sense on what 'normal' is for a piece like that.

The eBay ID is 310090786363.

Cheers,
- Steve

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Pics) - Lovely 30's 3pc suit

(NOTE: Might be worth moving this into the thread on Auctions, re: the one's that got away ;) ).

A lovely piece but just price wise it ran away towards the end, achieving in the region of $765. Good for the seller, not so great for us.

Just 'too rich' for me right now [huh] Some lucky devil has got a wonderful looking suit, but it has cost them plenty. I really do hope it blows them away when they open up the package - as they deserve at that price to get an amazing suit.
Oh well, we live to hunt another day.:D

That's a nice price, and the seller is good people.

That's quite a remarkable suit. You don't see the pattern very often, the tunnel belt loops are a nice touch. And in a solid size 40. I'm surprised at the final price. normally only one person prepared to go over $500, but when two of them converge …

bk

SteveN

One of the Regulars
So this price isn't unusual? If that's the case, my vintage collection is going to grow very slowly....

- SteveN

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Here's a question.

What happens in the USA that a family would keep a suit this long in pristine condition?

What...they have massive closet space already?

Sentimentality...???

I remain amazed that so much stuff from the 1930s/40s in good condition remains intact and is on eBay regularly.

Twenty years ago this was possible in Australia...no longer. I don't know where it went...rags maybe?

Is it the loft/attic storage you see so much in American movies?

Well, cookie, I often wonder the same thing(s) myself. But then I remember that the manufacturers produced millions upon millions of suits and shoes and hats and other items of attire that were made to be used until they were worn out and that some of those items just never saw that use, for myriad reasons, among them that a lot of this stuff was "special occasion" attire, and that so many people had so few of those occasions in their lives that the items were rarely worn; or that the original owner passed away and his clothes stayed behind, in storage, where they remained for decades; or ...

Another factor may be that much of that old stuff was more well-made than the run of what we have these days, and that many people were of modest means and couldn't afford to be replacing suits and such, so they took better care.

I can't be alone in wishing this old stuff could talk, eh? The stories it could tell.

For whatever it's worth ... I doubt that contemporary attire will survive in the same percentages as the stuff made 50 and 60 and 70 years ago. We move around much more than we used to, for one thing, and we're much more a "throw-away" society than we were then, and ...

Feraud

Bartender
There are many different reasons for keeping items for years w/out much wear.
Most of us have probably received an ugly tie as a gift. You may never wear it but do not want to toss it out of respect for the person who gave it. Suits are outgrown with the intention of losing weight and wearing them. Other garments are so expensive or seasonal that they see little use of 20+ years.
Some people hate to throw anything away, have ample storage space, sentimental value, etc. etc.

Whatever the reasons I appreciate the result.

mike

Call Me a Cab
it is a beautiful suit, there were a few bidders pushing it over 500 bucks. I was one of them, drunk as a skunk, but happy 2 people outbid me in the last moments. I've bought from the seller before and they're quite decent folks! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace