Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sellers Guide for Dress Hats on Ebay

Vintage Mens DOBBS WEST STRAW WESTERN Hat RARE COWBOY:
!B271fGg!Wk~$(KGrHqYOKiwE)(RR+DKHBMkY!vv4k!~~0_35.JPG

What?! Rare because a three legged cow stepped on it a few times!:eusa_doh:
Tweed fedora
What? Uh, don't think so.
Jazz hat
I have no idea what the heck that is but ok. :rolleyes:
Retail @
Huh? Does this mean you stole it so you know what it would have cost you?:eusa_doh:
FELT FEDORA HAT CAP 7 1/4
Well, make up your mind! Is it a hat or a cap!? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:
All of this from just searching a few items. :eusa_doh:
The size listings are nuts as well for instance there is one out there right now listed as 7 1/2 7 5/8. Geez, pick one as one of those doesn't fit me. :eusa_doh:

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I was just making my nightly look-through of eBay and ran across something that always annoys me. I remembered this thread and thought "aha"...perfect place to vent. :)

The thing that annoys me more than almost anything is when a listing has the history of Stetson. You know the one...about John B. Stetson starting out in a tiny room with a hundred bucks in capital. I see it all the time. Now I can certainly understand a little background on some of the more obscure but high-quality hat-makers...but Stetson...really?? I fail to understand how that contributes to selling a hat. Tell me about the specific item you are selling, not about the history of a company we all already know about.

Rant over. :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Good rant

That was a good rant. It's just like one of Stetson's early rants.

John B Stetson started his first rant in 1865 with a borrowed computer and a free wifi connection at a local Starbucks. He opened his first rant factory that year and soon enough began ranting across the country as America's premiere rant maker...

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Mobile Vulgus said:
That was a good rant. It's just like one of Stetson's early rants.

John B Stetson started his first rant in 1865 with a borrowed computer and a free wifi connection at a local Starbucks. He opened his first rant factory that year and soon enough began ranting across the country as America's premiere rant maker...

HAHA this is great, MV! :)

fedoracentric

Banned
What advice would you give ebay sellers trying to sell a hat?

So, we all like to carp about how badly hat auctions are written and presented on ebay. But, what is your best advice for a seller? What would you say he must put in an auction description and what should he never put in it?

For me I say it is a mistake to show a photo of the hat on someone's head. We don't want to remind buyers that a hat was on someone's ratty, dirty hair! We all know where hats go, of course, but best not to remind people! :)

Also, show the danged inside of the hat and not in fuzzy, dark photos that no one can decipher, either.

Don't say "rare." Don't say "beaver skin." Don't say "old" if you really have no clue how old it is. There's lots more, of course.

So, what advice would you guys give?

tommyK

One Too Many
For me size tags are very important. I've been burned 3 times now when someone has guessed the size. I'll never buy a hat again that doesn't have a size tag. Even then I got one that was too shrunken to fit and needed more stretching than I was comfortable with

skydog757

A-List Customer
The seller should specify how the hat will be packaged for shipping. I have received fedoras flattened and shoved into a box that would be better suited for a scarf. Hey, I like an original hatbox as much as the next guy, but if you don't have the original, get something appropriate to ship it in. I've had some sellers create a hat box by forming an oval out of cardboard or some stiff material and placing a ring of foam around the crown and then placing it in a plastic bag before packing and shipping it in a sturdy box. These people are taking some pains to insure that the hat will remain in the condition I bought it in when it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner