Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serial numbers for dating Harris Tweed suits/jackets

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
A little frustrating, but if any of you actually saw the BBC documentary about Harris Tweed you'll be aware that the Harris Tweed Authority has a ledger for all recorded HT serial numbers which can provide information regarding when and where and by whom the Tweed was made.

The frustrating part seems that no efforts have been made to make this information available or they release info at their own discretion but will not explain how the serial system works. Like others I've attempted to contact them both by e-mail and telephone without success.

I accept however that there is probably nothing in it for them to give time over to this project but its something that has intrigued me as I own several quality Harris Tweed jackets/suits and would love to know when they were made.

HTlabel.jpg

HTserialnumbers.jpg

Looking at the supplied number above from one of my jackets. You could assume it was made in 1971 but that would be wrong, the M&S label states 07/05.....

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
This archived thread may be of interest to you, particularly posts 8 & 10.

Thanks for drawing the other posts to my attention. Having watched the Harris Tweed documentary, i distinctly recall a gentleman had posted his brown herring bone jacket to the HTA in order to ascertain the specific cloth and approximate age as he wanted to see if he could get some matching trousers made. The HTA lady pulled out a book and was able to find the required information.......I hope that's not the only way to get the required information from HTA.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Talk to this man, he's a member here and knows his way around tweed. ;) Why I didn't think of him earlier....:eusa_doh:

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
This is info is very helpful. I had earlier made a thread regarding my Harris Tweed jacket which some knowlegeable loungers were able to guess to have been made in the '40s. I've never seen this particular label of anywhere other than 1940's era Life magizine ads.
CIMG0135-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo