Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sewing lessons (anyone take some??)

John J

Familiar Face
Hello again.

anyone ever take sewing lessons?

I seem to spend quite a bit of dollars on alterations and repair work. Im very good at doing hand repairs But that's it.

Id like to be able to do basic alterations ( waist/ hems, single seam shirt tapering...)

Id leave suit , coat and more complicated repairs to my Italian Tailor for sure.

I often see very nice $$ clothing at the thrift stores I stalk But then mentally ring up the cost of taking them in /out and doing the hems I then don't bother buying them. pants might be 5-7 dollars a pair with alterations running 15-30 on top of that.

self taught would be easy enough but lessons would cut to the chase it SEAMS (pun intended)

"John"

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I found a good teacher at a fabric store by chance when I was purchasing fabric to make hat liners. She happened to be a very accomplished clothing designer and childrens instructor that graciously obliged to teach me how to make and sew hat liners for a nominal fee at her studio.
I also put ads on Craig's list and had replys .
Before all that I took tailoring classes at local comm college many years ago when there was such a program.
Good luck
"Where there's a will there's a way"

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Being a former employee of Viking Sewing Mach. inc. I was required to learn how to sew and embroider using the company machines. I have found it to be a immensely useful skill.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Geez....my Daughter can sew like a fiend...but not for anything for us in this household. It would be nice to learn, and I know even Daniel would love to learn to use a Machine. Hand sewing is all that goes on for us. Lessons would be great!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Being a former employee of Viking Sewing Mach. inc. I was required to learn how to sew and embroider using the company machines. I have found it to be a immensely useful skill.

In 1964, just after I had started higher education, a former girlfriend told me about a Saturday job with the Singer Sewing Machine Co. What a lucky turn in life that was. Singer taught me how to read a pattern, lay it out, cut it, sew the garment together, insert any fasteners, zips, press studs or buttons, insert fabric liner, collar stiffeners and so much more.

In order to sell their machines every member of sales had to know the basics, but for those with aptitude or a willingness to learn, Singer trained them, they trained me too. After I had graduated, they offered me a management position running one of their smaller stores. But retail didn't appeal, I like my weekends too much. But thanks to Singer, I can make dresses & shirts and just about everything in between, but I leave tailoring to the experts, never had a go, although I wish I had. As for alterations, no problem.

If you really want to learn, surely there must be a college that can help. Here in the UK we have adult evening classes in a whole range and variety of subjects. I just can't see that being unique to our Islands. And if you do learn, there's nothing easier, or cheaper, then practising on old clothes. By that I mean you could start by taking out an old zip and fitting a new one. Crack that and you can advance to unpicking the crotch seem and waistband to increase/decrease trouser sizing. And on, and on. Hope you get there, it really is so satisfying to alter something to fit, knowing that you have saved yourself a small fortune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner