Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I admit I totally cheat a lot of the time and put in invisible zippers. If you can't see it it's not there. lol The last few ones I have put in old metal zippers, though.

palespider

One of the Regulars
I'd like to get a copy of the readers digest guide to sewing but i am coming across many editions. Can anyone tell me if one year is better than the other? Iv seen :

ect ect.

Thank you.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The earliest ones are generally going to have the most traditional information. Not a lot of fusible this and pre made that.

It all depends on the techniques with which you want to sew with.

LD

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
palespider said:
I'd like to get a copy of the readers digest guide to sewing but i am coming across many editions. Can anyone tell me if one year is better than the other? Iv seen :

ect ect.

Thank you.

Apparently the ones after 1981 do not have the tailoring information. I believe I have a 70's one and it does. I'm sure other than that though, they are pretty similar. This is my favorite sewing book and was my textbook for my college sewing classes, so any edition you get will be great.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
butterickb4254.jpg

Has anyone ever made this pattern. I was interested in making the one in the lower left to start.

LD

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Did you try sewing.patternreview.com, LD? There are quite a few on there.

That's funny that the Reader's Digest Sewing book should come up, I just had to order it for a class.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
butterickb4254.jpg

Has anyone ever made this pattern. I was interested in making the one in the lower left to start.

LD
I made up view b, but not the others. If you can sew a straight line view c shouldn't be too bad. I would replace the buttons with a busk or hook and eye though myself, or does it have a busk? I guess I should find my pattern and check.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the info, ladies. I keep forgetting about sewing pattern review! :eusa_doh:
Im so use to working with so many patterns no one has worked with I forget that modern patterns might have people who have actually *worked* with them! lol

LD

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
zips vs snaps!

:eusa_clap Thanks to all the ladies who gave an opinion! I truely apprecate it!I did go with an invisible back (spine) zipper in (yes,it's true) GREY! the ladies at my local joanns took my fabrics as though they were fabricated & showed me the ciel blue pull tab & then the grey pull tab that will be located at the base of the neck they let me make the dicession but.......we all agreed that the grey was much more "discerete" unnoticible!
I'll get my dresses up on "what we've made" soon! I have to wrangle that daughter of mine to do it for me though!HA:p [huh] :eusa_doh:

alright, night all! thanks again!

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
TRIED it!

We tried to make this for not ony the RenFair costume for an Irwindale Fair but also for the Civil War Reenactment up in Calico Ghost Town!I Just got frusterated with it,shoved it in a bag gave it to a client who does them for a living!
Made a vow to never agian attempt these or ...........a bathing suit ever ever again in my sewing life! EVER!

Just an FYI! you seem a little more patient & tollerent of such things Miss Day so your temper probably wouldn't flare like mine does so quickly!i've got a sshort fuse that's always lit anyway so this whole project was like trying to out out a fire with gasoline!HAHAlol :p :eek:
Give it a try!I bought DUCK Cloth which was probably my first mistake anyway![huh]
Hope this helps!if nothing else it will spur you to try!haha
GOOD LUCK!!
(WOW~ i just got a notice that my message was TOO SHORT I needed to lengthen it by 3 characters!that was weird!)

LD[/QUOTE]

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
TRIED it!

We tried to make this for not ony the RenFair costume for an Irwindale Fair but also for the Civil War Reenactment up in Calico Ghost Town!I Just got frusterated with it,shoved it in a bag gave it to a client who does them for a living!
Made a vow to never agian attempt these or ...........a bathing suit ever ever again in my sewing life! EVER!

Just an FYI! you seem a little more patient & tollerent of such things Miss Day so your temper probably wouldn't flare like mine does so quickly!i've got a sshort fuse that's always lit anyway so this whole project was like trying to out out a fire with gasoline!HAHAlol :p :eek:
Give it a try!I bought DUCK Cloth which was probably my first mistake anyway![huh]
Hope this helps!if nothing else it will spur you to try!haha
GOOD LUCK!!
(WOW~ i just got a notice that my message was TOO SHORT I needed to lengthen it by 3 characters!that was weird!)

LD[/QUOTE]

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For Ren Faire...

You might want to try these patterns:

www.margospatterns.com

There's an underthings set as well as dresses for ladies, mens costumes, and I think a child package.

They have a HUGE book of instructions with them. Easy to understand and completely authentic, Margo spent all her life researching and sewing before she started the pattern company.

I know this because she's also my older sister!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
You might want to try these patterns:

www.margospatterns.com

There's an underthings set as well as dresses for ladies, mens costumes, and I think a child package.

They have a HUGE book of instructions with them. Easy to understand and completely authentic, Margo spent all her life researching and sewing before she started the pattern company.

I know this because she's also my older sister!
I second the recommendation of Margo's Patterns! I was a beta tester for the original set of patterns.

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Shaheen 50s patterns?

I love the 50s era Shaheen dresses but haven't been lucky enough to find any in my size. Does anyone know if he sold patterns for this era? Ive seen 1960s/70s patterns but I don't know if any others exist. I'm not sure if I should give up the search due to the fact it doesn't exist or if I should carry on hopefully.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
What size pattern?

I'm sure a lot of women have this problem, but pattern measurements don't match my proportions. I've heard that you should buy the pattern to fit your bust and then alter from there. Do you agree?

For most of the patterns I see I'm a 16 for bust, 14 for waist, and 18 for hips. I'm pretty new to sewing and brand new to vintage patterns so the less I have to alter them the better. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21