Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I need some honest opinions, ladies. I've never tried a dress like this, so I'm not sure what to think. This is just the first muslin, it clearly needs more length at the waist, but other than that, it fits fine. Do y'all think it focuses the eye too much on the bust?
4463542606_8f8049ed52.jpg

4463288190_bb809afbd0.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Um...yeah :eek:
I actually think your muslin is too snug for a 30s fit. But thats me.

LD
Is it supposed to be baggy? It feels comfortable, but that's different from design ease.
And, thanks! It didn't look so bad in the mirror, but the pictures are a different story :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont think baggy. I think it looks like its got 50s dress ease. It quite form fitting. I also think thats one of those tricky patters for larger sizes.
Good luck with it, though :)

LD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I love that pattern Kamikat!

What is your final fabric? I would probably go looser with a softer fabric, but not so much with say printed handkerchief linen.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I love that pattern! But I agree with Lady Day that it's a bit snug and focuses the eye on your bustline. If you still want to give it a go, you might try adding some inches to the height of the pattern piece across the bust, and maybe a few inches of width, too. It always makes me smile to see what bust sizes fickle fashion prefers through the decades. Someone once commented that a lady would need an inflatable (and deflatable) bust to keep up :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It that the bra you are gonna wear with it? 30s boobs were a bit...droopy. Maybe a bra that didnt give the fabric that cavern between the girls. Or...add to that section of the pattern to create a more uni-boob illusion.

I wear goddess bras and I often find myself adjusting a pattern because of my more contemporary bra fit. But duh, Im totally sure you knew all this stuff :)

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
LD, it's the Goddess Keira bra, my fav!
I don't have any fashion fabric in mind for it. I want to make sure the pattern is a go before spending money on fabric. I let out the side seams a bit and it helped, but I think I need more bust room, not more in the waist. My next step is to cut a new front piece. Thanks, ladies!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I'm busty like you and 30s are hard! I'd try to let the bust out a bit. Ya'll know that red dress I got? It fits but that keyhole part is right on the cleavage. I don't know how I'm going to wear it. Hubby likes it [huh] I need to take a picture and see what ya'll think.

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
First Project

Hi, girls! I've just ordered the famous and fabulous Butterick 4790 for my very first sewing project. I've had no lessons as of yet, but I've got the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing and about 10 other books about learning to sew from the library. I will be checking back in here as I go along, most likely pleading for help from you knowledgable ladies.:)

I've ordered white linen blend embroidered with navy blue anchors as my main fabric with navy blue linen for trim. I got the snaps and one set of 7/8" buttons. I couldn't find 5/8" buttons on Joanne.com. I think I may have to actually drag my lazy butt to the fabric store.

You guys make SUCH amazing things...I hope you'll help me out when I'm desperate.

<3 Shanna

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Hem Marker

A similar question was asked earlier in the thread by another lounger but I could not find the response. I'm brand spanking new to sewing, and I was looking to purchase a hem marker for skirts. I'm finding the pin style and the chalk style; as I shan't have anyone to help me, is it the chalk one that I need to get ahold of or can I use the pin one on my own? I'm making assumptions about how these things function, and am guessing that the pin style won't work solo...
Is there any other way of doing a hem on your own?
I hope that one of you knowledgeable ladies or gents can help me out here!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I wouldn't recommend the pin marker if you plan on using it alone. But you could use it with a dress form. If the chalk one has the hand operated pump with the extension cord you should be able to use that by yourself.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
bunnyb.gal said:
I'm finding the pin style and the chalk style; as I shan't have anyone to help me, is it the chalk one that I need to get ahold of or can I use the pin one on my own?

I would be utterly lost without my chalk style hem marker. I have a vintage one and its the bees knees. You can often find them on eBay cheaper than a new one (Ive seen new ones at $35!).

I dont have any helpers either, so I just put on the dress, raise the chalk holder thing to the height where I want it and a few puffs of air later I have a perfectly marked hem. Its great!

LD

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Cheers MarieAnne and Lady Day for clarifying that for me; I've not got a dress form so I'll keep my eye on Ebay for a chalk one. I want a vintage one, naturally!

palespider

One of the Regulars
fabirc.com has tons of fabric im just falling in love with so i thought id stock up on some- what is a decent amount of yards to have if you don't know 100% yet what you want to do with it?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
palespider said:
fabirc.com has tons of fabric im just falling in love with so i thought id stock up on some- what is a decent amount of yards to have if you don't know 100% yet what you want to do with it?

Some fabrics are limited to certain garments and therefore can give you an idea of yardage. For example, a thick, stiff denim won't work for a blouse, so you can assume 2-3yrds for trousers or a skirt. Sleepwear flannel needs 3-4yrd for a nightgown or pj's. It is best to have some idea. A 40's dress usually will work with 3-4yrs, it's best to have 4.5-5yrds for a full skirted 50s dress. Trousers/jeans need at least 2yrs (more if you're tall), a skirt can take anywhere from 1.5yrd for a pencil skirt to 5yards for a circle skirt.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Make sure you know the width of the fabric too. A lot of online yardage is 45"-60" which is great as compared to 35"-54" listed on a lot of vintage patterns for width of fabric. Just check before you buy online.

I always try to buy about 1/2 yard extra, because I *know* Im gonna make a mistake.

LD

MarieAnne

Practically Family
How can you sew something big and heavy and complicated, without beating it up? Are there any tricks? I've been fighting with this enourmous pouffy silk dress and it's getting snags and oil from my sewing machine.:mad: The oil isn't coming down the needle or onto the presser foot it's just the dress rubbing up on the under belly of the arm where there is a little hole that is a bit oily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff