Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
Has anyone made this one up. I was working on it today and the arm holes are so big they gape and you can see straight through the front side to side.

B4790.jpg

UPDATE : I bought new material this morning and recut the front. I lowered the neck by one inch. I tapered the armholes out from 6 inches down from the shoulder seam. Adding 2 inches to the armhole so it gives more coverage under the arm. For me this has solved the gaping problem.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Pina Bridgette said:
Barbara, I was seduced into buying the weekender bag pattern several months ago but haven't worked up the nerve to make it yet. Still have the cabo halter in my to do pile and my sister wants one too.

The problems I have heard from the weekender bag is it can be a pain to sew through the many layers and getting the pattern matching (optional) sorted out. The swing bag seems to be much less constructed that I wouldn't think it would be too hard. The instructions for the halter pattern I have is fairly well detailed.

Hi there, I'm not sure what the cabo halter is, but the weekend bag looks too complicated for me. My sewing machine doesn't really like big bulky layers, but you've inspired me to pick it up. I'm trying not to buy any more patterns until I complete old projects. I'm a beginning sewer, so I don't want to pick up a pattern that I can't handle.

Thanks for your input!

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
exquisitebones said:
when is Jo-anns doing the simplicity sale? i want to nab some 50s patterns :)
do they do the 40s repro???

This weekend EB! I went yesterday! They have them $1.99 each with a limit of 10. Got the halter dress the last time they went on sale and scored 3748 yesterday!
Also, you might want to look at the Tropical Shirtings that they have on sale for $2.99.. I got a few yards for a really beautiful light weight tropical. :p

Kim_B

Practically Family
Shelley, Fleur, and Sari - I picked up your patterns today and will be sending them out either on Saturday or first thing on Monday morning. Do any of you have a preference on how I ship them?

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Eee! Thank you so much Kim! I'm so excited to get them! I don't mind how it's shipped really, no rush, whatever is cheapest/most convenient. Don't forget to give me your email for paypalling you the final cost.

catsmeow

One of the Regulars
Von Dee said:
Now that I have more time then ever on weekends <<<<since one of my New Years resolutions was to stay home more often>>>> I been wanting to use my time wisely & learn new things, I been having this erge to sew'... my inspirations are retro vintage styles......my main focus is home decor, maybe starting off with some cute tiki curtains'....However I have no idea where to start, anything is helpful. If any of yu, have that magic touch, know any good books for beginers, or any helpful links, please keep me in mind!' Thanks Much....
Me too, I want to learn to sew. There's a course I'm thinking of doing, but it looks full on as it is a costume course. Learning the basics is what I really need to do first. I think it would be great to learn as it's a handy thing to know.
Good luck with your sewing. You'll have to post up you're new creations.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kim_B said:
Shelley, Fleur, and Sari - I picked up your patterns today and will be sending them out either on Saturday or first thing on Monday morning. Do any of you have a preference on how I ship them?

Squeee!!!!

Thanks sooo much Kim! Next time I see you, Im buying you a drink!

LD

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars

Kim_B

Practically Family
I just received this darling dress in the mail...
A01_57.jpg

A01_58.jpg

The dress is huge - I knew it was going to be a little too big when I bought it, but I think the seller was a tad off in the measurements. I swim in it!
I was checking out the seams last night - it is definitely a homemade dress (no tags and it has raw edges). Keeping in mind that I am very *VERY* new to sewing (I've only made a clutch, a headband, and a wonky-looking sash/belt/thingy), what is the easiest way to take this in...or would I be better off having someone far more talented do it??

Kim_B

Practically Family
Shelley, I see the words you're typing, but I have no idea what it means. LOL!

The bust is already darted (is that even a real term?!) - can I just modify those, or do I have to make new ones? Have you ever known some one to be so frightened of their sewing machine? :eek: :eusa_doh:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
'Darted' is a real term :)

You can remove those darts and create new ones, or just make larger dartes over the ones there.

Taking it in under the arms (where I presume the seams are) is going to be the easiest way to alter the garment.

Do a search for 'sewing darting' or something like that. You may be able to find good pictures to help you.

Too bad you dont live close, you could come over, have some tea and I chould show you how to fix the dress :eek:

LD

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Kim_B said:
Have you ever known some one to be so frightened of their sewing machine? :eek: :eusa_doh:

kim, my fear of my sewing machine was so deep-seated that if i don't sew for awhile, it STILL comes back (and i've even made whole garments on it)!

sometimes i think alterations can be more scary to start than a brand new garment!

Kim_B

Practically Family
I have a sewing book at home - I'll see if that has any tips in it as well. I'm just worried I'm going to ruin the dress...

*repeats to self* I will be a big brave dog...I will be a big brave dog!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes