Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Rosie

One Too Many
Hi, hope I can be of a bit of help. Here's something I found:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4604_sew-button.html

also here:

http://sewing.about.com/

in my opinion, you don't need a sewing "kit". Just get a pack of decent needles from a KMart/Walmart type store. And get some thread in the colors you usually wear. Try getting a bigger needle with a bigger eye, that will help in the beginning with threading and it will protect your poor fingers until you get the hang of it.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Tips on sewing a Crinoline/Petticoat?

I've been wanting a Crinoline for a while now, and I look around online at the stores and they are around 40-100 or so bucks. I know how to sew, but I haven't happened upon clear instructions on how to do it all. Of course, mine would be for circle skirts and dress with the look of the 50s.

I know you have to gather the tulle or netting, I know there's an A line skirt underneath with a non-scratchy material, and even another layer on top of that if you dont want the tulle or net to stick to your skirt, I also know that the tulle or netting doesn't start at the waistline...

My problems are - how do you add the binding on the edges and seams of the tiers to make it all pretty? Do you make the binding yourself, or buy it? Am I supposed to gather every tier of tulle? Are there more layers of tulle every subsequent tier?

And of course I would love any other tips. I'm just hoping I can save some money in the long run in case I fall in love with them and want to make a bunch in different colors. If I can't make mine I was thinking of going with daddyos.com's. Although I've heard that it isn't recommended to have an elastic waist (I dont know why that is)

I've heard that it isn't hard to make them, but I just dont know if I should buy a pattern for them, if there even is a decent one, or what.

Help, please :D

Rosie

One Too Many
I was going to do this. I found this: http://www.farthingales.on.ca/simplicity_5726.phpwhich makes a longer crinoline but gives you an idea of where to get started. Truthfully, in my opinion, after buying all of the items needed, not to mention the time spent in gathering layers and layers and layers of netting, you might be better off buying one. http://www.heyviv.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=960&catid=82Hey Viv has one for under $30. This ebay store sells them: http://stores.ebay.com/Pats-Habadashery_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

This ebay store sells them:
http://stores.ebay.com/Heidis-Have-to-Haves

This one too:
http://stores.ebay.com/Pats-Fine-Treasures

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much!

I actually found this one that tells you in really simple terms how to make a rather puffy one, and I understand it better now than before, but I think the cost of the ribbon would skyrocket the cost of the petticoat. Because with just tulle it comes to about ten bucks.

http://www.pettipond.com/lon.htm

It's still kind of confusing to me and leaves me with some questions, but I will go visit those other sites you mentioned and try to calculate the cost. Thanks again :D

Rosie

One Too Many
humblestumble said:

Oh, I haven't seen that before. I'm too lazy to try and figure that out but, if you want to make one and if the netting only comes out to about 10 dollars, you're good to go. Just check ebay or some craft store and you can probably get an entire roll of ribbon for very cheap. Also, I admittedly am not the greatest seamstress in the world. Some of the ladies on here are extremely good. Maybe they'll chime in. Sorry I can't be of more help.

shindeco

A-List Customer
Magazine pattern from 1953

It's not quite a full fledged crinoline but in the magazine Smart Sewing from 1953, there are two patterns for petticoats. This is a great magazine, BTW, because all the patterns are included in the magazine. I've copied out the one pattern that's easiest. It makes a fairly full petticoat that is "terrific for dancing, square dancing or just to give a little bounce to your full skirts". Unfortunately, our scanner is down so I can't scan the picture.

Tiered Petticoat
Smart Sewing, (1953)

Materials:
2 1/3 yds. Belding Corticelli’s Taffalon (nylon), 45” wide
two 75 yd. spools Belding Corticelli’sNymo thread in color to match fabric
1 yd. grosgrain belting
One 7” Seam Thin Talon zipper
Hooks and eyes.

Cutting
1. Fold fabric in half lengthwise and pin selvages together.
2. Determine the finished length desired for petticoat by measuring from waistline (not including waistband) to finished hemline. For example: If your finished length in 28”, cut ten strips across fabric, each 8” wide. For each additional inch in length add one quarter inch to width of strips.
[Note: Basically, you’re cutting 10 strips of fabric crosswise. The width of the strip depends on how long you want the petticoat]

Sewing:
1. Keeping right sides of fabric together, join 4 strips of fabric making one long strip. (Take half inch seams.) This makes the bottom tier of the petticoat.
2. Join 3 more strips together in the same manner; this is the third tier.
3. Join 2 of the remaining strips together for the second tier.
4. The one remaining strip is the top tier. Shirr each tier.

Adjust your sewing machine for the longest stitch possible. Make one row of stitching half an inch from the top edge of each strip. Make a second row of stitching a quarter of an inch below the first row.

To simplify pulling gathers later on, end the rows of shirring inside the seam leaving long threads at beginning and end of each tow.

Draw up bobbin threads on second tier and distribute gathers evenly until it fits on to the bottom edge of the first tier. Keeping right sides together pin and stitch taking a half inch seam. Turn to right side and topstitch along bottom edge of first tier, keeping seam turned up.

Pin and stitch third tier to bottom edge of second and fourth tier to bottom edge of third following same procedure as above.

Cut grosgrain belting to fit your waistline, adding one and a half inches. Turn back three quarters of an inch at each end.

Draw gathers on top tier to fit edge of belting. Topstitch grosgrain to petticoat from right side.

Wrong side out, pin side seam together matching tiers. Stitch taking a three quarter inch seam; leave opening for zipper.

Turn a one quarter inch hem at bottom edge of petticoat and stitch on wrong side.

Insert a 7” lightweight skirt zipper at opening, following directions on package. Sew on hooks and eyes at waistline.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Actually, I think a petticoat is exactly the thing I was looking for. Crinolines are much bigger, yes?

Thanks so much for posting this! I think I shall just try this and try to stop worrying so much about screwing it up. When it says to use Taffalon, does that just mean netting or tulle? And I wonder if I should add all this onto an A-line skirt made with something less scratchy.

I think making it will save me a lot of money. Hopefully it will be worth it!

Annalai

New in Town
Hi,

I have made petticoats from similar soft net (soft tyll, tulle is the name they sell it under here in Sweden) they use for bridal veils and not the very hard scratchy one. Insted of lace around the bottom edge I have used satin binding so it does not scratch the stockings.
With this soft net the petticoat does not get very full but still nice to wear under a circle skirt or dress for daywear.

I find it easy to make and I have just started to sew. I also makes my own circle skirts also very easy to make to your own measurements without bying a pattern.

I think the reason for not having an elastic waist is it adds bulk around your waistline and may show under the skirt or dress. I have made mine with elastic but cut so I just get in and out so it does not add too much under the circle skirt waistband. I mean the fabric is cut the smallest possible around the top and still getting it over my hips I have a very small waist compared to my hips. The skirt has an A line shape.
Sorry I can not explain this better my English is not good enough.

Here is a site selling petticoats they have pictures and some text about them maybe helpfull to look at. https://www.setrino.de/assets/s2dmain.html?https://www.setrino.de/

Annalai

Raegan

New in Town
I was actually just wondering about crinolines the other day. I want to get this beautiful cherry red 50's dress I found online for my cousin's wedding, but I didn't know if I should get a crinoline or not. I don't want to look like a bridesmaid and I thought maybe a crinoline would do that. What's the difference between a petticoat and crinoline exactly? Is there much? I was also wondering about everyday wear, can they pass as just a sort of casual thing? Where I live just wearing a skirt gets you wierd looks and a "What the heck are you so dressed up for?" Almost like they think you're trying to be better than them, not just dress with a little taste and class.

Shimmy Sally

Check your local fabric store for a petticoat pattern. All the pattern books have them under both the costume and vintage sections. It may not end up being any cheaper to make your own though.

Rosie

One Too Many
Raegan said:
I was actually just wondering about crinolines the other day. I want to get this beautiful cherry red 50's dress I found online for my cousin's wedding, but I didn't know if I should get a crinoline or not. I don't want to look like a bridesmaid and I thought maybe a crinoline would do that. What's the difference between a petticoat and crinoline exactly? Is there much? I was also wondering about everyday wear, can they pass as just a sort of casual thing? Where I live just wearing a skirt gets you wierd looks and a "What the heck are you so dressed up for?" Almost like they think you're trying to be better than them, not just dress with a little taste and class.

Some people use petticoat and crinoline interchangeably (is that a word?) but, I think a crinoline is the stiffer, scratchier kind, think square dancing and big poofy circle skirts. You can get a smallish crinoline. I have one that is like "everyday wear" which is not too poofy. Then I have one that is a bit more dramatic. I want one that isn't too poofy but has lots of layers, very girly.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Yea, some people use them interchangeably, but I've found more 50's undergarments by searching for Petticoat rather than Crinoline. Usually, when I search for Crinoline I get links to renaissance re-enactment undergarments and dresses from the 1800s. Think big, long hoop skirts with ruffles at the bottom: They are even used under wedding dresses. Like this- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinoline. Petticoats are usually made out of tulle or netting and are usually much shorter. Although, I think back in the 1800s, they also wore longer petticoats over their crinolines, but not made out of tulle. They can actually be made of other materials like cotton and such. This might be why I still get links to older costumes when I search "Petticoat"

So, I'd say the term Petticoat would be the better term to use.:eek: And actually, the square dancing ones are also petticoats, just a stiffer, fuller kind, probably made out of netting.

There are different petticoats where some are less poofy than others that would probably be good for everyday wear. I know what you mean...here you also get looked at strangely in any kind of dress or skirt. Unless its a miniskirt.

There are definitely a wide variety of petticoats, some are super poofy, some are barely poofy, and some are very short (some "goth/lo lita" teens wear them with nothing over them). A lot of 50s outfits look better with petticoats when the bottom of the dress is a circle skirt.

Here's a cool site I finally found again with good pictures of petticoats. The prices are high though, lordy. http://www.laceys.ca/products.asp?cat=17&PARTNER=pettipond

shindeco

A-List Customer
humblestumble said:
Thanks so much for posting this! I think I shall just try this and try to stop worrying so much about screwing it up. When it says to use Taffalon, does that just mean netting or tulle? And I wonder if I should add all this onto an A-line skirt made with something less scratchy.

I've taken a picture of the picture; I hope it works out. It actually looks to me more like a nylon taffeta or something. There's no reason why you couldn't make it with a tulle. Coarse netting would be even stiffer but mighty uncomfortable, I'd think.

petticoat2.jpg

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for that! That's what I was imagining. I will keep this in my pattern files and dig it out when I get some more money and time :D

Yea, I've heard netting is very uncomfortable. Tulle feels okay, so I'll probably use that.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sewing Lessons and FAQ

Howdy all!

I know several of you are taking sewing lessons and I'd love to hear how they're going. I also thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to ask sewing related questions, so we can all throw our heads together to help!

So.. how's it going?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran