Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
GREAT IDEA!

Goldwyn Girl,

This is probably the best solution. Repairing can get pricey to have it done professionally...and still may not be perfect. This covers the problem area and no one would know that it wasn't an original part of the dress.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
That is a very good idea, I will consider it. I would attach it to the belt, the dress already has a matching belt. I would probably make it from velvet, that way it would compliment the velvet appliqué...

I think it would be difficult to find a fabric exactly like it.

I also thought about replacing the whole back part of the skirt.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I made this

but I wish it was lined. I was in a hurry and couldn't locate a pattern with directions for a lining. Is there an easy way to do it? Too late for this garmet but he didn't care and I won't tell.
IMG_4543.jpg

Snookie

Practically Family
Very nice robe for a very lucky man! How sweet you are!

For this robe, you can use the self pattern (your fashion fabric pattern) to cut your lining pieces. You might only consider adjusting the length so the lining doesn't hang out the bottom hem/sleeve hem, or adding a little pleat in the back for movement. (Although the cheat in me says "Don't bother!") Look in a sewing book like Reader's Digest or Vogue, or at a store-bought lined garment for examples. Since there's no real collar on this robe, just a band, you don't have to deal with the front panel being half facing/half lining.

I'd only add a lining to a robe/jacket like yours if the fabric is heavy, like a heavy wool or brocade. If you want a clean look for the inside with a lightweight fabric, try french seams.

I think a sleeve cuff band would be a nice touch, too. Love the contrast.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Thanks for the tips Snookie I will save them for my next try. It is the first time I have made something that wasn't out of cotten and wasn't for my kid! The robe itself wasn't too hard, but I was totally guessing on sizing other than measuring the arms and shoulder to shoulder on one of his jackets. I just needed more time (weeks) and space (after 3 days on the living room floor my roommate was getting tired of the sewing mess.) I think when I find some more of the right sort of fabric I will try another one.

PS

A-List Customer
I am trying to iron the yards of fabric i had to prewash for a project. how on earth do i iron it??!?! i have a stool next to the board to hold it all off the floor but it is all balled up and getting re wrinkled.....HELP!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
PS said:
I am trying to iron the yards of fabric i had to prewash for a project. how on earth do i iron it??!?! i have a stool next to the board to hold it all off the floor but it is all balled up and getting re wrinkled.....HELP!

That is one job that I find to be a pain in the tushie. I usually have the best luck by keeping the un-ironed fabric on my side of the board, and putting a short table, or box on the other side to catch the ironed stuff. As I work it goes from my side of the ironing board to the other where I try to fold it back and forth accordion style.

That's what works best for me, but it can still be a pain.
If anyone has a better way to do this, I'd love to know.
Good luck!

Snookie

Practically Family
You can also roll it as you go, but that requires having a long tube and is more work than just letting the fabric fall on itself. It's the only way to end up with completely wrinkle-free fabric, though.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Opinions, please!

I bought this 1950s treasure at my favorite secret thrift store for $2 about 2 weeks ago, and I would like some advice as to how I can modify the top. The wool jersey has holes, as you can see, and there is more on the back side. I am thinking some sequin work, maybe, or some other fancy applique work. I love doing handwork like that, but I wanted to run it past you girls first to see what you thought. It fits me like a dream, and I want to wear it soon! I will be replacing the buttons as two are missing-I think maybe some faux black jet buttons, maybe something sparkly.

BlueDress1.JPG

BlueDress2.JPG

BlueDress3.JPG

And no, it doesn't have a tail at the bottom-that is my silly little kittycat Sassy trying to be involved with things! lol

PS

A-List Customer
Frustrations Abound

I just can not seem to get the confidence to believe I can actually sew. I have everything I need to get started. I was hit by a bug at the start of the month that really threw me off my course. My confidence is gone. I have my fabric cleaned and pressed, cut, marked but now that it is time to get sewing I feel really overwhelmed. No one I know sews so I am just winging it. My husband found a class at the community college but as with the rest of the classes I have tried to take they always get canceled due to lack of students. He's been adorable setting up a large table for me and getting me a dresser to hold all the stuff I've been accumulating and now I feel stumped. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I am letting us both down.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
PS said:
I just can not seem to get the confidence to believe I can actually sew. I have everything I need to get started. I was hit by a bug at the start of the month that really threw me off my course. My confidence is gone. I have my fabric cleaned and pressed, cut, marked but now that it is time to get sewing I feel really overwhelmed. No one I know sews so I am just winging it. My husband found a class at the community college but as with the rest of the classes I have tried to take they always get canceled due to lack of students. He's been adorable setting up a large table for me and getting me a dresser to hold all the stuff I've been accumulating and now I feel stumped. Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I am letting us both down.

No, no. Don't beat yourself up! Any artist will tell you that inspiration is a big part of the creative process. You just need to get re-inspired.

Consider going down to your local library and checking out a bunch of books on beginning sewing. I especially like my The Complete Book of Sewing by DK Publishing. It has lots of pictures and tons of basic information.
Alternately, you could look at old fashion magazines, the Sears catalog books, or watch old movies to give you the hunger for the fashion.

Personally, it's the cutting that scares the devil out of me. The stitching isn't half so bad. You can pull that out and try over again and again. Just keep your fabric steady along the guide at 5/8 of an inch, take your time, and remember to keep your fingers away from the needle. :eek:

Josephine

One Too Many
PS said:

I know I am late to this, but I iron yards of fabric on my table. I put a towel down and iron on that. For awhile it was awkward with the iron cord, but I have a cordless one now so I hope it will be better. As for the fabric I've already iron, I fold that like Lady Day said, accordion style on an armless chair or a bench.

Snookie

Practically Family
PS said:

It's not that bad! I've been really overwhelmed sometimes, but I realized that I can get up and walk away anytime I want. Usually only 1/2 hr goes by before I want to sit down to sew again. Don't put time limitations on yourself, like "I have to have this skirt finished and PERFECT for the party Saturday night!" I used to do that, and I ended up rushing everything and it never looked as good.

Did you choose a project that's too hard for a first project? If you chose a garment, how about reconsidering and starting with a more simple project? You can save all your pieces and work on your current project later, after you've gained some confidence. You aren't trying a vintage pattern yet, are you? The instructions in vintage pattern aren't sufficient for a beginner, and lots of the construction methods are pretty archaic. Try a modern pattern, for something simple like a pillow or an apron.

Do you understand the basics of using your machine, like how to wind a bobbin and how to use the backstitch?

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Snookie said:
Did you choose a project that's too hard for a first project? If you chose a garment, how about reconsidering and starting with a more simple project? Try a modern pattern, for something simple like a pillow or an apron.

Starting with something simple really helps. I'm just getting back into sewing after putting it off for a long time. I started with a retro apron pattern and it's gone pretty well so far. Its good because it's a relatively short project so it can help build your confidence quickly. You might also want to try again with the sewing class. I took a sewing class at a community college years ago and it helped me get the basic idea. Good luck with everything!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RedHotRidinHood said:

Geeze thats a tough one RHRH, I dont know what to tell ya.
Those holes are H U G E.

If the garment is worth the cost, Id have it stitched up by a pro. Youll see the mending, but I wouldnt risk applique in competition with that fab green.

LD

PS

A-List Customer
Do you understand the basics of using your machine, like how to wind a bobbin and how to use the backstitch?

Yes I made sure I was really familiar with my machine before I attempted anything. For the first few weeks, I did just that. Reading my manual, looking/making at all the stitches on my scraps of fabric, stitch lengths, winding the bobbin, threading the needle, using the fly wheel without looking!--I even changed the needle and foot at one point. I'd sit down for a little bit, and sort of practice the functional points of the machine and come back whenever I had a few spare minutes. I don't have a deadline by any means, I am just looking to get a firm footing. I read and read and read but when I get behind the machine with my book at my side and fabric on my lap it seems like everything I have read just evaporates from my head.

I was thinking about taking out an ad looking for someone to help teach me. There is this older woman at Target that sometimes talks about her sewing. DH says he knows her, he used to do work with her husband. I thought about asking her.A sewing studio just opened near enough to me that come summertime I might be able to take classes there but the price tag is ENORMOUS! I am going to register for the sewing class at the community college that start towards the end of February. I am sorry for venting here, I know that isn't what it is for. I just needed someone that understood my frustrations. I come from a family of artists and making my switch to a new form is alot harder than I thought it would be.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
PS,
Have you looked at this website before? I clicked on the first lesson (for a pull on skirt) and started reading and it seemed very user-friendly and easy to understand. It might be worth taking a look.

Don't give up. If I lived closer I'd take you under my wing! Alas, IL is quite a drive from you. Perhaps I could encourage you via email???
Keep us posted of your progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo