Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
I think the only easy fix will be to paint the lining black and glue down the fraying bits of the handle. What I would give for the proper tool to open the frame and clamp it shut again! I have many dead purses I would like to restore.

Thanks so much for your input! What would you recommend to paint the lining?
I thought I might also use my mending skills to try to strengthen the spot by reweaving the spot, but I wanted to see what other people would have to suggest first.

Right now I am working on a particularly hard one - it has an excellent jeweled and enameled frame, it is covered with tiny black micro beads, and the back side of the purse has pulled out of the frame. No kind of glue has worked to hold it in there yet. There are no tiny holes to sew it to. So I am improvising, by putting a LOT of hot glue in the frame (it's like a deep groove or pocket) and then embedding a piece of a black plastic folder in the glue, then I will try sewing the purse body to that and we shall see if it holds. I doubt that it will once there is anything in the purse! Grr.

Would a professional have the tool to fix your purse? It isn't worth it for mine, as it has been so well loved that in spots the gold tone of the metal has worn to silver, but it's still pretty enough for use.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with hot glue on fabric myself. If you want a different adhesive, you could try E-6000 craft glue. That's what I use on my fabric flower hair clips. Just use it in a well ventilated space. It's stinky.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Joie DeVive said:
Ok, now I have a question. I just bought a bag at an estate sale. The ribbon handle has a problem. It's splitting or raveling, like this:

damagebag.jpg

Id have it repaired. You can remove the closure (or have it removed) but, after time, the same problem would occur because of that 'flaw' being built into the design. repaired, someone could slip some reinforcement between the fabric and the lining to maybe detour that from happening again. I would think it would be worth saving.

LD

anabolina

A-List Customer
What do ya'll think of this machine?

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600I-25-Stitch-Free-Arm-Functions/dp/B000F7DPEQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

I'm looking for a cheap sewing machine and I've looked through Craigslist for the area and eBay and haven't really found anything I liike, but my Mom was asking me the other day when I was giving her back her machine, so I suppose I should get around to buying one for me. My Mom's machine is one of those cheapo Brothers from Walmart and I'm really happy with it, so I reckon I'll be happy with this one, happier since it has a one-step buttonholer. Has anyone on here tried it or does anyone have any other suggestions for sub $100 machines with a one-step buttonholer?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just looking at it, you are gonna get what you pay for.

You are better off getting a higher quality used one, then this piece of crap. Brother makes great machines, but this, in my opinion is 'too' low down to even bother with. I bet the bobbin will tangle, the shaft will get stuck all too often, and a lot of other 'glitches' could occur.

Truthfully, I would never get a machine under $100. Go at least $150, there you will find a slew of different models, ranging in a decent amount of quality.

That said, check Sears. I got a nice kicker for about $140 a few years ago.

LD

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I think I need some opinions on this. I love this pattern, but from the mock-up, I think this may not look good on me.
2739354965_a52b604081.jpg

2739354007_f576b0f9d4.jpg

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
I think the only easy fix will be to paint the lining black and glue down the fraying bits of the handle. What I would give for the proper tool to open the frame and clamp it shut again! I have many dead purses I would like to restore.
Right now I am working on a particularly hard one - it has an excellent jeweled and enameled frame, it is covered with tiny black micro beads, and the back side of the purse has pulled out of the frame. No kind of glue has worked to hold it in there yet. There are no tiny holes to sew it to. So I am improvising, by putting a LOT of hot glue in the frame (it's like a deep groove or pocket) and then embedding a piece of a black plastic folder in the glue, then I will try sewing the purse body to that and we shall see if it holds. I doubt that it will once there is anything in the purse! Grr.

that's what id do, i think it'll be the most discreet way!

on an other note - for glueing bags we use a shoe glue called neoprene, you can only buy it if your trade, but if you go to a local cobbler, im sure they'll pop a bit in a jam jar for you!

its amazing, you put it on the areas you want to glue, let it dry, then activate it with your hairdryer, and press it together firmly, it works a treat!;)

Inky

One Too Many
kamikat said:
I think I need some opinions on this. I love this pattern, but from the mock-up, I think this may not look good on me.

I agree it does not flatter your mannequin. I wonder if the gingham just does not have enough drape for this pattern? It does look like a dress that would be made out of a thin cotton and gingham is pretty thin. Have you tried it on?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
anabolina said:
What do ya'll think of this machine?

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL2600I-25-Stitch-Free-Arm-Functions/dp/B000F7DPEQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_1

I'm looking for a cheap sewing machine and I've looked through Craigslist for the area and eBay and haven't really found anything I liike, but my Mom was asking me the other day when I was giving her back her machine, so I suppose I should get around to buying one for me. My Mom's machine is one of those cheapo Brothers from Walmart and I'm really happy with it, so I reckon I'll be happy with this one, happier since it has a one-step buttonholer. Has anyone on here tried it or does anyone have any other suggestions for sub $100 machines with a one-step buttonholer?

I agree with Lady Day. You get what you pay for.

I got my machine at Target (of all places!). This is what I got:

http://www.target.com/Singer-Stitch...eld-browse=3151061&rh=k:sewing machine&page=1

I love it. It has fancy stitches, is easy to use, and I've had no problems with it in the year and a half that I've had it.

You might look at your local Target (or WalMart if you choose) to see what machines they have there. You could invest the money you'd be paying for shipping in a bit more of a machine.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joie DeVive said:
Thanks so much for your input! What would you recommend to paint the lining?

I would use a black Sharpie! I use them on shoes and things all the time, and the black stays black.

Joie DeVive said:
I thought I might also use my mending skills to try to strengthen the spot by reweaving the spot, but I wanted to see what other people would have to suggest first.

Fraycheck might be a good thing for this too, it will glue down the loose threads and dry invisible.

Joie DeVive said:
Would a professional have the tool to fix your purse? It isn't worth it for mine, as it has been so well loved that in spots the gold tone of the metal has worn to silver, but it's still pretty enough for use.

There doesn't seem to be any way to take it apart except for breaking it, it is soldered and enameled. I would not want to risk breaking the enamel , and everything, even the lining, is pristine.

Joie DeVive said:
I haven't had a whole lot of luck with hot glue on fabric myself. If you want a different adhesive, you could try E-6000 craft glue. That's what I use on my fabric flower hair clips. Just use it in a well ventilated space. It's stinky.

I'll try it!
artful dodgette said:
on an other note - for glueing bags we use a shoe glue called neoprene, you can only buy it if your trade, but if you go to a local cobbler, im sure they'll pop a bit in a jam jar for you!

its amazing, you put it on the areas you want to glue, let it dry, then activate it with your hairdryer, and press it together firmly, it works a treat!

And that sounds promising too! Normal hot glue doesn't seem to do at all! Thanks ladies!

Miss 1929

kamikat said:

I think it's got too many horizontal lines going on... plus there doesn't seem to be enough length in the waist to make it look anything like the picture.
This style would be better on a gal who needed to add more curves, with all those gathers and stuff. Whereas you have curves galore, so I think it kind of fights with your shape.

zaika

One Too Many
what do you do when your vintage pattern is missing some pieces? cut out a muslin piece that resembles what it's supposed to look like and hope for the best?

i got mine today...and unfortunately one is missing three pieces...and the other is only missing one big one.

excited to tuck into this! lol

Miss 1929

Our friend the copier?

zaika said:
what do you do when your vintage pattern is missing some pieces? cut out a muslin piece that resembles what it's supposed to look like and hope for the best?

i got mine today...and unfortunately one is missing three pieces...and the other is only missing one big one.

excited to tuck into this! lol
maybe take the little picture on the back and repeatedly blow it up by increments until it is the right size? You should be able to tell the right size by matching notches... just an idea, I have not tried it!
Unless it is a really complicated piece, eyeballing it might work.
Good luck!

zaika

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
maybe take the little picture on the back and repeatedly blow it up by increments until it is the right size? You should be able to tell the right size by matching notches... just an idea, I have not tried it!
Unless it is a really complicated piece, eyeballing it might work.
Good luck!

oooh! fun idea! i love copiers...

looks like i have a hot date at kinkos this weekend. :D

Sickofitcindy

One of the Regulars
Grading up... a lot

Hi I'm new here and I am so inspired by the clothes that people have made. I want my clothes to come out looking as nice as your's does. Now maybe if I spent less time looking and more time sewing, I'd be much more productive! I've recently bought a lot of vintage patterns, mostly 40s and 50s without regard for size. I understand the fundamentals and have successfully graded up a few sizes with modern patterns. The grade rules only go up to a size 18 or 20 at the most. The pattern I'm starting with is a size 12 vintage but I need it to be a size 24 approx. Would I grade it from a 12 to an 18 and then take that 18 and use that as my master pattern? If so, how would I figure out the grade amount from 18-24? I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Sickofitcindy said:
If so, how would I figure out the grade amount from 18-24? I'd be most grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I think if you dig around in this thread a bit, you'll find some information on sizing patterns up. I know when I asked, it was suggested that the best way to go about it was to use the method of splitting the pattern. You cut the pattern piece (preferably not the original) and add paper in the middle to make it the right size. There is a much better description of it and how to figure how much to add, in here somewhere. The process is also often found in vintage sewing books. If you come up empty handed in here, you could also probably ask Lady Day. I believe she's the one who described it to me. (I have not yet used this information, however, so I cannot be of more help. Sorry :eek: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24