Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well I thought I'd get used to my new machine before tackling my starter project this week and d'ya know what - I cant get the bloomin thing to work! you know when you read and re-read instructions and it just starts melting your brain? yup thats me, its probably something frustratingly obvious too lol

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Amber,
What exactly is the problem? You can't get it to turn on? Or need help threading it? If its not threaded right, it won't work properly.
When I first started out sewing, I used scraps of fabric and practiced sewing on them. I'd fold the fabric and sew it and also tried out different stitches on it. Its also good to practice a bit and make sure the tension is correct on both sides of the fabric. Unless the new machines do all this (I've got a Kenmore that I bought in the 80s), this is what I did.
I'm sure if I can't come up with an answer, that someone else will.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Ok, I've taken it all out of the packaging and inspected it, followed the given instructions about how to start winding the bobbin ready for use and it wont work. Theres definately no on/off switch and I've tried 2 different electric points, just in case. I feel very silly right now :eek:

Snookie

Practically Family
You should call someone. Look for a hotline number for the company, or call the store where you bought it, assuming it wasn't a Target etc. If it was, call a machine store that carries the same brand and pretend you bought it there. :eek:

Or ask a 7-year-old to come help. Don't they usually fix all the technology?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Amber,
Can I ask what kind of sewing machine you have?
My machine won't work unless its plugged in AND the light switch is turned on. Must be some kind of safety feature. Do you have a switch on the side or something to turn on the light?

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well, well, well - the practical side of me just couldnt resist checking the electrics and would you believe it, it was a dud fuse in the plug! The machine's working like a charm now - thanks for listening to my little rant lol

oh and the machine is and E&R Classic, nice and simple to start off :)

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Happy sewing, Amber!
Good for you figuring out the problem--women really are resourceful!

Be sure to post pictures when you get your first sewing project completed!

Barbara

One of the Regulars
New sewing question on 1930s skirt

I'm making a 1930s skirt out of the bottom of one dress. I'm using corduroy as I want to wear it with some 20s boots that I have. The skirt is looking sort of A-line, four panel, but not bad.

Here's the thing. I have a short waist and thought it best to lower the waist a little and with that, my sewing teacher has suggested a finished waist would look best instead of an actual waistband with interfacing.

I am thinking that no 30s skirts had finished waists and I should just add length at the top to put the skirt at my proper waist and put a waistband on it, lest it looks too modern?

Anyone?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No matter the make of the skirt, I put a simple waistband around the skirt and call it a day. I try not to do anything too complicated because its prolly gonna be covered by a skirk anyway.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
Barbara said:
I'm making a 1930s skirt out of the bottom of one dress. I'm using corduroy as I want to wear it with some 20s boots that I have. The skirt is looking sort of A-line, four panel, but not bad.

Here's the thing. I have a short waist and thought it best to lower the waist a little and with that, my sewing teacher has suggested a finished waist would look best instead of an actual waistband with interfacing.

I am thinking that no 30s skirts had finished waists and I should just add length at the top to put the skirt at my proper waist and put a waistband on it, lest it looks too modern?

Anyone?

By "finished waist" you mean it has a facing instead of a WB?

You're right, 1930's should have a WB. I just glanced through my Sears catalog book to confirm, and there's only one w/o, and the description says there's a "hidden elastic waistband".

I made a skirt once based off a 1930's pattern but I skipped the WB, and the darn thing never stays up. It always wants to side as low as it can go on my hips. Much too modern. So the WB is functional, too.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much for looking that up. I think I was trying to avoid such a high waistband because my waist is so short, but I am probably going to just alter the whole look if I don't put one on. The teacher is pushing hard for an invisible type waistband, but you have changed my mind! Plus it's corduroy and will be a bit heavier than a normal summer skirt anyway. She's an excellent seamstress, but doesn't know vintage. I'm just trying to glean some knowledge from the class so that I can do a few things on my own.

Snookie

Practically Family
I'm very short-waisted too (although I prefer to think of it as long-legged ;) ),
but I still like skirts up high at my natural waistline. I like a late 30's look, though. If you want to wear it with your 20's boots, you might want the skirt to sit a little lower. It looks like 1930-31 still had a fairly low waist, 1932 was more natural, and '33+ was moving to a higher waist. (Which is the natural waist for us "short-waisted" gals!) Isn't it fun being able to tailor your clothes to your preferences?

If you want to see the book I'm looking at, it's called "Everyday Fashions of the Thirties: as Pictured in Sears Catalogs" ed. Stella Blum. It's in most libraries and B&N. Or online.

Hey, it looks like you're just over in Pasadena! Where are you taking your sewing lessons?

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Shantung and Dupioni

Hi ladies, I was tinkering with the idea of making a dress for the dancing fun part of my wedding reception (can't kick up my heels in my wedding dress). My question is with shantung and dupioni fabrics, which way looks best when it comes to the "slubs" in the fabric? Vertical or horizontal??[huh]

Snookie

Practically Family
I think that's a personal preference, like any other stripe would be. If your fabric is multi-color reflective, you might want to consider which way reflects the nicest. And you might need to keep all the pattern pieces going the same way to have the same effect (like a nap on a cord or velvet). That means buying a little extra fabric.

Going with the grain or crossgrain might help you make your decision, but that fabric has enough structure you could probably go either way without affecting the drape or the fit.

Congrats on your wedding! I changed for my reception, too, and it was a great decision!

Elaina

One Too Many
It should also be pointed out, no matter the era, inishing (espicially homemade garments) were done to get the best look and fit for the wearer. Ready made clothing and handmade clothing often still do employ different techniques to get the fit and drape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy