Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have been toying with the idea of making a coat for a few years now, because i can't seem to find what i want.

This is what i have in mind:

http://www.tias.com/12632/PictPage/1922753373.html

has anyone in here ever made a coat?lined?I have done some fairly advanced sewing,but this would be an expensive project, so i am looking for any tips, advice...warnings:rolleyes: before i take the plunge

Snookie

Practically Family
Check out this thread starting page 14. Back a few months ago Rosie was planning on making a lined coat, and there's some info there.

Your pattern doesn't look too tricky, except for the welt pockets and maybe getting the collar even, unless you have experience with blouse collars. If you're going to use expensive fabric, you should practice all the tricky stuff, either on a mock-up or on scrap fabric. (If you opt for Welts, and they get screwed up, just stick a patch pocket on top!)

I like the flat felled seams on the pattern. It's a nice touch.

Elaina

One Too Many
Coats are like any other garment, take your time and it should be fine.

I just finished a coat similar to something Leslie (another FLer) has, even from fabric she gave me. Only problem I had while constructing it was buttonholes, but that wasn't a problem making it, it's a problem I have with a tempremental piece of equipment.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, Ive made my share of coats :rolleyes:

mmmm coats....

Id do a mock up of you are unsure about how it may hang. Just be sure you take into account the heaviness of the fabric and the lining. But with a mock up, you may get a better idea how the coat will hang.

mmmmm coats....

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: Okay, there's some sewing to this question, but not much. Mostly I want to run an idea past and see what you all think.

I need a pantry, my place doesn't have ANY space for food storage. So, to counter that, I'm making a free standing one. I have the plans, et al, and it will wind up being about 5' tall and about 6-7' long. My treade will wind up butting againt the side no toward the kitchn (sort of effectively creating a "bar" like area to seperate the kitchen and living space) and my question is, I need room to move stuff up. Do I want to cover the back with cloth and make sort of a fabric lattice, for storing patterns and other odds and ends, or make something like curtains to just cover it and look pretty?

And LD, how did you make the covers for your apartment to hide everything?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Patterns should be worn, not seen.

I made the drape type dealies in my apt by using old sheets and cutting them to size of the front of whatever I was covering it. I did factor in about an inch longer and shorer (aside from folding the seam) so I wouldnt have any gaps.

For hanging, I used ties sewn to the corners of the fabric and tied it to the shelf that I could, and then curtain rods for the other shelves.

Hope this helps.
mehome.jpg

LD

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Elaina,
Why not make a cover-thingy, only instead of a lattice looking one, how about one with pockets, like those shoe holders that you can hang. But since you'll be making it, you can make the pockets fit whatever you're going to put there. There can be pockets for your patterns, smaller ones for scissors, thread, etc. That way they can kind of be seen, still accessible and stylish at the same time. I'm into organization and just thought of this. You could make it out of sheets or extra fabric.
Just my 2 cents....

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Snookie said:
I'm very short-waisted too (although I prefer to think of it as long-legged ;) ),
but I still like skirts up high at my natural waistline. I like a late 30's look, though. If you want to wear it with your 20's boots, you might want the skirt to sit a little lower. It looks like 1930-31 still had a fairly low waist, 1932 was more natural, and '33+ was moving to a higher waist. (Which is the natural waist for us "short-waisted" gals!) Isn't it fun being able to tailor your clothes to your preferences?

If you want to see the book I'm looking at, it's called "Everyday Fashions of the Thirties: as Pictured in Sears Catalogs" ed. Stella Blum. It's in most libraries and B&N. Or online.

Hey, it looks like you're just over in Pasadena! Where are you taking your sewing lessons?

Hey Snookie! I am taking lessons at the Pasadena Extended Learning Center from Rebecca Prange. I have mostly sewn baby blankets up to this point, so I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I wanted to try anyway. I have that same book and was flipping through it as well. So I'm thinking that as long as the skirt sits sort of natural, I can just add that waistband and it will look OK. The dress that I'm copying the skirt from is probably early to mid 30s. I guess I have to take the first stab at this with a grain of salt and not get my expectations too high, but I hope it's wearable and looks OK. Lauren made me a beautiful suit, it won't look that good!

BTW we sort of know each other. But Jose and I really only go to the seaside ball these days (the last time we would have seen you). We don't get a sitter unless we really want to go to a dance. One of these days I'll have to get a decent picture to post on here.

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
a challenge?

I wasnt sure where to put this so as its sewing related I thought this the best place. For a while now I have been considering getting one of the AAGPBL uniforms as they would look so sweet in pics and I can think of other opportunities to wear it too but the cost is really making my eyes water, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a pattern that looks similar to that kind of thing that I could look to making up in the future? thanks in advance ladies

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Amber,

You are just learning to sew, yes? I am a beginner sewer, and I really recommend making simple things to start. While my mom was here at Christmas, we made most of a dress together. She left me with things that seemed simple to finish the dress. Needless to say, last week I cut the zipper out of the dress and threw it in the garbage.

I am now sewing a dog bed. It doesn't matter how it turns out, really. Good practice. Then I think I will sew some kitchen towels for practice with my decorative stitches. Then maybe some decorative pillows with zippers for the practice.

It was terrible when I threw out a dress that my mom helped me sew. Rather heart breaking, but the thing was a mess! Very discouraging. I am stubborn though, so the very next day I went and bought the dog bed pattern and fabric, and started sewing.

Really, just learn how to sew a straight seam first. While I understand wanting to make something you can wear right away, if it looks terrible and you never wear it, there wasn’t a point. This way, I am learning my machine, how to develop an eye to guide the fabric, how to sew on different fabrics, and I am gaining confidence.

I learned some valuable things with this dog bed. The fabric is like corduroy, and I thought I cut the pattern piece straight, but the lines in the material let me know I cut very, very crooked. While I didn’t re-cut the piece because it is just a dog bed, I learned to be more careful. With pants, that would have been a big deal.

It is every easy to get frustrated now. Do simple little things that turn out well to build confidence and success, and work on things you would wear later. All my clothing patterns are set-aside for a little while.

Well, that is my 2 cents anyway, and how I am approaching learning to sew. Best of luck with what ever route you choose! :)

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
Thanks GoldLeaf, I guess I'm being my typical bull at a gate self again lol the last thing I sewed was a shorter version of the cheongsam dress I have pictured further up but that was a good 9 years ago :eek: slow and steady should be the way forward from now on

Kim_B

Practically Family
Simplicity Patterns on Sale @ JoAnn's!

Simplicity patterns are on sale at JoAnn's for $1.99...I found this cute one:
Simplicity50sRetro3780.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters