Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
So I was over at my mom's yesterday doing the birthday thing for my sister and I mention to my mom about sewing machine shopping. Well my aunt says "I have a sewing machine I'm not using. Do you want it?" So I got my first sewing machine. It's brand new. Yesterday I practiced sewing straight lines and sewed some ribbon edges so they wouldn't fray. Today I mended some seams. Yay!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Awesomesause PD!

Joie, If Im sizing up, its not like scaling, where you just make the entire patten larger. Chances are its going to have to be wider than taller, altho you may need to add 1/2 or an inch of length to the waist so it does not stop just under your boobs :D

As for darts, I do them as needed. I tend to try on my mock up, pre bust darts, and see where it gaps just on the sides. Ive also double darted dresses, looks super cute. If its darts on the boddice, then I do those pre fit to see if Ive made them too large or too small.

Good luck!

LD

Vanessa Anne

Familiar Face
Poiret Dress Pattern

OK, I've got a queston for all of you.

I've looked all over the net for a reproduction Poiret Dress pattern.

Somebody out there must have done them or is doing them now. Perhaps not as "Poiret" but calling them something else?

Have any of you come accross anything that would pass for a Poiret Dress pattern?

If you don't know what I'm on about see...
iribedress1.jpg

anabolina

A-List Customer
Does anyone know how to make something you currently have into a pattern without destroying it. I picked up a cute playsuit from the thrift store today and it fits perfectly and everything, I just have the perfect hawaiian fabric that would make a great playsuit/swimsuit. I mean, it cost $5 so I could consider that like the cost of a pattern and just take it apart, but I hate to deconstruct something simply because I would like it better in a different fabric, I mean it's fine as it is.

The only time I made something from another item, I made a wrap dress from a Walmart wrap dress whose fabric and color I hated once I got home a wore it a couple of times and that dress I cut up to make the pattern and the sleeves were really hard to set in on it.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Anabolina,

Try tracing the playsuit onto paper. It is kinda hard with gathers, but I've done it sucessfully before with pants and skirts. You just trace the outline of the pieces, and add seam allowance.

Vanessa Anne,

I have seen some vogue patterns from the teens on Ebay, if you want to sew your own Poiret. Or maybe take a look at the patterns from www.vpll.org. They have a few patterns from the teens as well.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Dress question

I'm not sure where to post this question so, I thought I would try here since you gals are so creative. I found this dress/robe in my big auction pile. I love the dress/robe but sadly the bottom part has seen better days. I would love to try to salvage this dress/robe. If I cut off the holes on the bottom, it will take the hem way above the knee. Could I add new fabric to it to make it longer again (maybe a green fabric) or would that look stupid? I just would hate to throw it out with out trying to save it. Any ideas??

P5200004.jpg

P5200005.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MaryDeluxe said:
IIf I cut off the holes on the bottom, it will take the hem way above the knee. Could I add new fabric to it to make it longer again (maybe a green fabric).

You just answered your own question :)

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Mary that is SUCH a darling dress! :eek: It MUST be saved, lol!

Do you have better full length photos of the side that is trashed, where it would have to possibly be cut?

Lemme think on this a bit, but my first reaction is yes, it will look stupid unless you incorporate the newly added fabric into the dress in other places. Say, the deep green or perhaps a matching or darker red... add it to the hem but also *maybe* add a row of lace between them as well. Take off the lace on the collar and pocket, and add the new lace and row of fabric there too. Or, forget the lace all together and just add your new trim colors. The lace is so pretty too, be sure to use it somewhere else if you take it off! I would possibly cuff the new fabric over the sleeves as well.

If that won't work, perhaps you'd like to make a romper/playsuit out of it? That would be adorable, as well as just a blouse. But I'd think you'd have barely enough fabric to make the skirt into *skorts*.

Best wishes, and keep us posted!
Nikki

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
You just answered your own question :)

LD

Thanks LD! I guess I'm headed in the right direction then. :) I'm going to take out the waist seam and use a green fabric from the waist down. Then resew the pocket back on. It makes perfect sense in my head lol

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Lemme think on this a bit, but my first reaction is yes, it will look stupid unless you incorporate the newly added fabric into the dress in other places. Say, the deep green or perhaps a matching or darker red... add it to the hem but also *maybe* add a row of lace between them as well. Take off the lace on the collar and pocket, and add the new lace and row of fabric there too. Or, forget the lace all together and just add your new trim colors. The lace is so pretty too, be sure to use it somewhere else if you take it off! I would possibly cuff the new fabric over the sleeves as well.

Nikki

Good ideas Ohairas! I definetly need to incorporate the new fabric into the top areas of the dress. I'm liking adding it to the sleeves or around the collar. Thanks for your great ideas! I hope I can do this pretty number some justice.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to take out the waist seam and use a green fabric from the waist down. Then resew the pocket back on. It makes perfect sense in my head

OMG, I nevah woulda thoughta that! What a perfect idea!!! Plus all the lace can stay!
I hope you can find something with a similar texture... is it seersucker, waffle, barkcloth or what?
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's a very quick, sloppy virtual of the dress, (with a very non-matching green, sorry, lol!)
Do you think green will be too overpowering? Maybe a red or just white would be better?
Nikki
Copyofdresstosave.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Here's a white and a red. I think if you could find a matching pinkish red like that it would be great. Just my two cents! ;)
Nikki

Copyofdresstosavewhite.jpg

Copyofdresstosavered.jpg

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Ohairas WOW! I really like the white and red version. Yay I think you are right, green might be a little to much. You gave me great inspiration, thank you so much!;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was thinking more like this.
Dressmockup.jpg

This way, if you do cut off more than needed, you can patch together enough for the trim along the bottom. I also like less accents of the solid color. Maybe replace the sash and the cuffs with it.

But do what you wish, its up to you and good luck on it :)

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran