Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Oh Pinkie, I'm sorry. BUT at least you can finish your dress on a lender machine in time for Thursday, right? I suppose you can chalk this up to experience. Now you know more than you ever wanted to about thread tension!
Oh, when you buy a new one, get one that makes buttonholes! You will never regret it. I plan to go to my favorite sewing shop tomorrow and FINALLY buy that darn buttonhole attachment for my machine. They said they would show me how to use it if I brought my machine in, so that's what I'm going to do.

anabolina

A-List Customer
My goal was to finish that five dresses hanging on the door, but I only finished one and worked on one other, oh well, at least I thought of it. I also started another project, that's now to the hemming stage. Its a wrap shirt and flared skirt that's pretty flattering.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
question about interfacing....

Hey ladies, I'm going to be attempting my first sewing project with a pattern. We'll see how this turns out! I'm pretty clueless when it comes to sewing, so I'm starting with something easy - an apron. I could do it without a pattern but I figured I should learn how to use a pattern with something easy that has a construction that I already understand.

I need to use fusible interfacing for the waistband. What do I need to do to pre-shrink my interfacing? I'm finding lots of conflicting information elsewhere. If it matters, I believe it is a woven interfacing (looks kindof like a cotton weave).

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
KittyT, I've never preshrunk interfacing, but I have used musin as interlining and made sure to preshrink it first. It would be awful to have it shrink up on you after it was made! If it's something you'll wash, I'd say pre-shrink it or at least steam it really good (assuming it's non-fusible).

Pink, I'm so sorry to hear about your machine :( Sounds like you have wonderful friends offering to help out.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, fusible interfacing Ive never pre shrunk ether. Id use a muslin as well, altho you wont have the lovely stick to it ness that fusible gives.

I would think the rist of shrinking with fusible is relativly low, considering the adhesive used...right?

LD

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My condolences on your machine's demise Pink. I'm glad you've got some loaners to tide you over! I have a Kenmore--the price wasn't too dear when I bought it 5 years ago and I really love it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Yeah, fusible interfacing Ive never pre shrunk ether. Id use a muslin as well, altho you wont have the lovely stick to it ness that fusible gives.

I would think the rist of shrinking with fusible is relativly low, considering the adhesive used...right?

I talked to my mom and she said that she washes it in hot water first and lets air dry. Then she puts it face down and applies lots of steam with the iron held a few inches above the interfacing. She says you can see it shrink when you do that. She recommended cutting the interfacing larger than the piece needed, fusing it, and then cutting around my fabric, since the interfacing does apparently shrink a little bit when you fuse it.

Who knew?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks. I have a dress that I'm making into Scarlett's "shame" gown from GWTW. (Only mine's red). The problem is, I'm going to make a detachable train to go on the back. I'll use heavy duty metal skirt hooks to attach.

Here's the thing.... what would be the best way to reinforce the back of the dress to be able to take the weight of the train? Should I sew some boning on the inside, etc?
Nikki
http://www.flickr.com/photos/85469550@N00/620716683/in/set-72157600478000829/
I'll be using this pattern,
http://trulyvictorian.com/catalog/361.html

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Pink that really sucks about your machine. My old Kenmore just bit it too... I will probably fix it sometime since it's a nice heavy duty 56 model.. but I have a brand new machine that I need to LEARN to use. (got it two xmases ago! :eek: )

If you're at all interested in old machines they are usually pretty cheaply found at auctions and such. Ebay too.. even with shipping sometimes they're cheaper than new.

Nikki

vintagelaura

New in Town
ohairas said:
Here's the thing.... what would be the best way to reinforce the back of the dress to be able to take the weight of the train? Should I sew some boning on the inside, etc?

First thing I would do is add a waist stay inside the dress. That will help it stay put and resist the pull of the train.

A waist stay is a like an inner belt sewn inside the dress at the waistline to help the dress hang correctly. They are typically made of grosgrain ribbon and are sewn to the dress in only a few spots so that it isn't obvious. The waist stay is snugger than the dress and closes with hooks & eyes where ever the dress zips closed - probably center back on this dress. Here are instructions on making a waist stay:
http://www.diynetwork.com/

I think the waist stay will help a lot, but I'm not sure what else you could do. Period dresses were actually two pieces - skirt and bodice - so the weight of the train would have been solely on the skirt.

You could ask on the Truly Victorian forum, too. Heather (who owns TV) is really helpful.

Laura

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks girls!
Laura, I would've never thought to ask Heather!

So they actually still make waist tape, the thicker stuff like in vintage clothing? Grossgrain would be too thin.

I'm also going to have to either fold the top of the train under the buslte where it attaches, or bustle it higher when I make it so it hides that part. I don't plan on putting that many plumes on the gown simply because it is hard to match and I don't want to fork over the dough for color-matched ones. The long curled plumes are exspensive enough!

I had another thought of actually making horizontal button holes in the back of the dress, so that I could slip the hooks inside the gown and attach to undergarments or whatever I reinforce with? This way it wouldn't pull on the gown at all.

I just can't believe I found a red velvet to match this well in the first place! I don't know what I was thinking when I first got this hairbrained idea, lol!

Nikki

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I think the Mill Gown is my favorite--Vivien Leigh is breathtaking throughout that whole movie but especially in this dress.

Pictures of your gowns when they're finished please!

vintagelaura

New in Town
ohairas said:
Thanks girls!
So they actually still make waist tape, the thicker stuff like in vintage clothing? Grossgrain would be too thin.

No, grosgrain *is* what waist stays are made of. Not the thin, narrow stuff they sell at Joann's - real grosgrain. In the past I've bought grosgrain from JudithM Millinery. High quality modern clothing still uses waist stays, so it isn't just found in vintage clothes.

I had another thought of actually making horizontal button holes in the back of the dress, so that I could slip the hooks inside the gown and attach to undergarments or whatever I reinforce with? This way it wouldn't pull on the gown at all.

That's an idea, and one I hadn't thought of. It might work. Are you planning on wearing a corset under the dress, or more modern undergarments? You will need something sturdy if you're going to attach the train to it.

I just can't believe I found a red velvet to match this well in the first place! I don't know what I was thinking when I first got this hairbrained idea, lol!

Well, I think projects like this are fun! I like to play around with ideas like yours. :)

Laura

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats