Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Cherry_Bombb said:
shooshoobaby- My unprofessional opinion w/o seeing the machine is that one of two things seem to be bent. Either you need to replace your needle (it may not look bent, but it could be), or your bobbin casing (not the bobbin) could be bent. At some point, before you had this issue, did you happen to put your bobbin in backwards? It may have sewn just fine but then the bunching of thread/ fabric started happening? Or maybe you ran over a pin in your fabric and a nice "ca-CHING" happened?

Another thing, it may need to be oiled?

Or I could be wrong entirely, and you may just need to have it serviced! [huh]

But I've had a problem like this in the past, and it was my bobbin casing being bent caused by my needle being bent. That's why I feel that's what this is.

thanks, CB! i'm too tired tonight, but i will definitely follow all these possibilities this weekend! i never thought about the bobbin case being bent. so that could likely be it.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
foofoogal- have you tried a twin needle at all? There are twin needles for stretch fabrics (labeled as such). With one of those, 2 spools of thread, and one bobbin, you get a nice crisp double line of stitch that stretches with your fabric. It creates a zigzag on the wrong side of fabric and a double stitch line on the right side.

If that's not what you're looking for, I recommend just a plain zigzag. No need to get fancy to end up in the same place!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
thanks, CB! i'm too tired tonight, but i will definitely follow all these possibilities this weekend! i never thought about the bobbin case being bent. so that could likely be it.

Also- check your tensions. Not just on the spool of thread feeding through the top, but also the bobbin tension. Sometimes that can get messed up when you reach into your machine. My machine will sometimes drop the walking tread out from under my needle while I'm pulling out my bobbin. So there's a chance that something down there got bumped.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Shooshoobaby's machine woes?

ShooShooBaby said:
alright, i promised a friend i'm going to actually pick up a project i started 4 years ago (1940s Hollywood overalls!) but i'm having an issue with my machine! i've had it before, and just fiddle around forever until i accidently fixed it, but i don't have the time/energy for that right now.

SO. my needle is jamming every time it goes down into the, uh, bobbin area. (i'm whippin' out the technical terms for y'all!) i cannot for the life of me figure out what it's jamming on. i've messed around a bunch with the bobbin case, and i tried a new needle but that didn't help. any ideas? or do you think it's just time for a tune-up? [huh]

Jamming in what way? Does the needle hit the bobbin case? Is it grabbing too much thread, or is it paying out too much thread?
Issues with the thread tend to revolve around tension- whichever side is giving up too much thread needs more tension (and we're talking fractions of a degree). If the needle hits the bobbin case, then the timing is off. I don't know how old your machine is, but on the older, simpler machines you can loosen a screw and slide the arm up/down to help adjust the depth the needle reaches.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
Personally, I'm only a fan of the older, cast-iron Singer machines. Featherweights, etc. Those were truly built to last. My mother still can sew on her grandmother's Featherweight. I don't have faith in the Singer machines since they went bankrupt.

I put my money on the Janomes. Pfaff are also pretty great. But Janomes are so easy to use- very straight forward, rarely have problems, and if they do- they're easily repaired. And easily repaired= cheap to repair!

There are 2 cast iron Singer machines in my local charity shop for about £10 each. I've been meaning to check them out properly but always forget. Mind you, they've probably been sold by now!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Rebecca D said:
Do you think it would be easy to scale down one size? I don't want to have to pay $45 for them to do it, but I'm not very good at resizing patterns.

If you only have to go down one size, I would make the pattern as is, and take it in as necessary. Sometimes (not always, mind you) I have found patterns not to be entirely true to the measurements they give. So there's a chance that it will fit you as is. And if it's only a size too big, you really don't need to waste time scaling it down. Just adjust it to you once you've gotten far enough into the project to do so.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Cherry_Bombb said:
I put my money on the Janomes. Pfaff are also pretty great. But Janomes are so easy to use- very straight forward, rarely have problems, and if they do- they're easily repaired. And easily repaired= cheap to repair!

I also want to add that I love Bernina's as well!

Snookie

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
If you only have to go down one size, I would make the pattern as is, and take it in as necessary. Sometimes (not always, mind you) I have found patterns not to be entirely true to the measurements they give. So there's a chance that it will fit you as is. And if it's only a size too big, you really don't need to waste time scaling it down. Just adjust it to you once you've gotten far enough into the project to do so.

I agree completely. If you're nervous, pinfit the paper pattern first or do a mockup. Since it's a straight style, it should be fairly easy to take in. And that little cinch belt can do wonders!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I traced my first vintage pattern yesterday. It;s a jumper with an 8 gore skirt. I braded the side gores only, but I was thinking it was 39 inches around the hips and it's actually 37. I am going to do a mock up first. I don't intend on making the blouse, should I trace the pattern anyway?

Neany73

New in Town

Neany73

New in Town
ShooShooBaby said:
alright, i promised a friend i'm going to actually pick up a project i started 4 years ago (1940s Hollywood overalls!) but i'm having an issue with my machine! i've had it before, and just fiddle around forever until i accidently fixed it, but i don't have the time/energy for that right now.

SO. my needle is jamming every time it goes down into the, uh, bobbin area. (i'm whippin' out the technical terms for y'all!) i cannot for the life of me figure out what it's jamming on. i've messed around a bunch with the bobbin case, and i tried a new needle but that didn't help. any ideas? or do you think it's just time for a tune-up? [huh]

I don't know if you've sorted this out yet, but it sounds like the timing may have gone. The top bits aren't working at exactly the same time as the bottom anymore which could be a cause for the needle getting jammed. Try all the things that someone else (sorry I've forgotten who it was :) ) suggested but I suspect it'll need a visit to the local repair shop.

Snookie

Practically Family
Downtown LA has the best prices - start at Michael Levine's on 9th and Maple, and work your way out. Bring at least $6 for parking, and cash so you can bargain at the smaller stores. (No bargaining at ML's)

International Silks & Woolens is fabulous, and has prices to match. It's on Beverly Blvd, between the Beverly Center and the Grove (or between Beverly Blvd and Re-Mix, which is how I think of it...) They even carry some vintage yardage.

I've been to a couple nice stores in the South Bay, but I think they're gone now. There's a place I used to go called Fabric Warehouse off the 5 at about the 710 (just north of the Citadel), but they moved buildings recently and I can't say if it's any good anymore.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mike's Fabrics
821 Wall St

gets high marks for having some really nice rayon in vintagey patterns. And the couple that own it are -super- nice and everything is tidy and organized and super clean. (That is not a given downtown)

Its just around the corner from Michael Levine's.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Great stores in LA?

I agree with both Snookie and Miss Neecerie. Michael Levine's is a great place to pull together all the needed details of a project- thread, buttons, belt buckles, fabric, lining, etc.
Mike's fabrics has great stuff too- I found a 50's style hawaiian fabric for $3 a yard! It looks like the "Ocean Storm" prints they always did.
Another place I like is called "Fabric and Fabrics" (no, I'm NOT making it up!). He focuses mainly on silks, but he has a nice stash of wool in the back. Some of his colors are really unusual and exotic.

Jp

Idledame

Practically Family
Thank you dakotanorth, Miss Neecerie and Snookie for tips on L.A. fabric shops. There's also a place I found online called "Shawn-tex the dollar and under fabric store" that has closeout fabrics, trims, buttons etc. which sounds more my speed. It's at 851 S. San Julian, about 4 blocks east of ML. Anyone been there? I prefer discount fabrics because I'm less nervous working on them, and less depressed if it doesn't turn out well. Snookie, I think Fabric Warehouse was the place that had lots of remnants from the clothing industry. Back when I was into Victorian clothes it was the only place I could afford 10 yards of material at something like a buck a yard to make a dress. I don't think they are around anymore. I hope Shawn-tex is similar. Oh, and is there a place to park you recommend? I almost never go downtown, and I know parking can be a problem.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ahhhh for bargainy bargains...

there is also always The Loft. Upstairs and across the street from Michael Levine...its basically a huge floor, filled with boxes and boxes of fabric all jammed in willy nilly.

You must spend time digging through...so its not for the faint of heart....but there are true bargains to be had, as its sold.....by the pound. Normally its $2 a pound of fabric, but there are sales where its $1 a pound.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy