Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sewing Lessons & FAQ

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
TheKitschGoth said:
:( I wouldn't mind so much if I had a sewing machine, but I'm sewing by hand at the moment

Craigslist has an amazing amount of sewing machines some as cheap as $40!! You can't beat that. And even if it needs some repairing, it will still be a smaller bill when all said and done than purchasing a new machine!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Cherry_Bombb said:
4047.jpg

I too am making this one. I've made mockups of the skirt and the blouse. What a pain. The blouse is too long waisted AND too big in the waist, and the darts aren't long enough, so I have to do some modifications on it. The skirt doesn't fit right at all either. The waist sits way too low on me and the hips are cut wrong. Probably easy modifications for the accomplished seamstress, which I am not. It's very frustrating for me - things that aren't that hard to make suddenly become major sewing ordeals.

olive bleu

One Too Many
yes, well, making a mock-up would have been a good idea for me as well.I made the skirt at a sewing circle at my church on saturday, and really was not well prepared. i didn't purchase the pattern or the fabric till Thursday and did not even read over the instructions before i sat down to start.I didn't even know untill i ran into it that there was a pleat:eusa_doh: Not that the pleat was difficult..I hastily took my measurements on Saturday morning,but sadly, the skirt is too tight.Too bad..i love the fabric i bought for it, and i had plans to make the blouse next.yet another example of "haste makes waste":(

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Another reason I had to do a mockup, especially on the skirt, is because it's the first garment I'm making with a lining. A skirt like this really needs a lining to keep it from getting rump sprung, and I just had to see how it was done first.

Mary

Practically Family
Cherry_Bombb said:
The best time to press your georgette is when the fabric is still damp. I suggest misting it w/ a spray bottle and then pressing it out on a medium setting. Don't use steam from your iron. You've basically only preshrunk your fabric. It may shrink a tiny bit more, but only minimally. And most likely not. You could begin cutting out your patterns once you iron your fabric. It should be fine from this point forward.

Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of it when it's finished!! :eusa_clap

Thank you ever so much! I can't wait to see the pics either!

(But first i'll have to sew it and I know there will be much yelling and jumping around:( But I will outlive that too. ;) )

Swingtime Gal

New in Town
I need some help please!!

I have just purchased my first true vintage patterns (circa 1943 and 1952) and not reprints. I want to make paper copies of the pattern pieces so I won't ruin the original, but the 1943 pattern is a blank piece of pattern with dots punched out for sewing indicators. How do I determine what piece is what and what do the dots signify (ie darts, connection markings, etc) I have the original instructions but the pictures are very faded and the print is small on the pattern key. I am excited to start on these projects but I don't want to ruin the originals if I can't figure it out. Thanks ladies!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Swingtime Gal said:
I have just purchased my first true vintage patterns (circa 1943 and 1952) and not reprints. I want to make paper copies of the pattern pieces so I won't ruin the original, but the 1943 pattern is a blank piece of pattern with dots punched out for sewing indicators. How do I determine what piece is what and what do the dots signify (ie darts, connection markings, etc) I have the original instructions but the pictures are very faded and the print is small on the pattern key. I am excited to start on these projects but I don't want to ruin the originals if I can't figure it out. Thanks ladies!
There may be more detailed sites out there, but I had this "quick guide to vintage pattern markings" from the Threads website bookmarked. Maybe it'll be of some use to you.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00210.asp

Swingtime Gal

New in Town
Thank you so much JupitersDarling, that is exactly what I needed. Now I can get to tracing those patterns and making some beautiful clothes! I felt so overwhelmed by the strange dots and punches in the pattern pieces. Now they should make sense.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Mary said:
You have to get someone to borrow you a sewing machine. It should be easy!

Where I live there are sewing machines to borrow at "alternative" cafées. Or maybe ask some old people in "old peoples clubs". I'm sure some old lady would donate her old one to you, especially since you make old-fashioned dresses.

Good luck!

Problem solved, my mum bought me a sewing machine for my birthday last weekend :) Now to figure out how to use it..

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I need some help identifying two feet for my sewing machine.. what are they for?

Foto75.jpg

Foto71.jpg

ALSO

My sewing machine is a no name brand and I am also trying to find a foot to sew in invisible zippers but every foot I have found are for a specific brand - does anyone have any tips for where I might find an appropriate foot?

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
New Butterick Patterns

Hi Ladies!! Couldn't find the bloomin' Pattern Thread, but thought this was appropriate too..

Butterick has new Retro Patterns out..

Behold;
Butterick5209.gif

and

Butterick5214.jpg

Right now neither one is in stock at my Local Hancock store.. I haven't tried the JoAnn's yet.

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
DimeADanceQueen said:
Hi Ladies!! Couldn't find the bloomin' Pattern Thread, but thought this was appropriate too..

Butterick has new Retro Patterns out..

Behold;
*gasp* :eek: those are cuuuuuute! I think I want- no, need to get the first one now. lol

Sunny

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I need some help identifying two feet for my sewing machine.. what are they for?

Foto75.jpg

Foto71.jpg

ALSO

My sewing machine is a no name brand and I am also trying to find a foot to sew in invisible zippers but every foot I have found are for a specific brand - does anyone have any tips for where I might find an appropriate foot?
I'm afraid I don't know what those feet are. I think I even have the first one, but I've never used it. Why don't you go to a brand-name site and browse their inventory? You'll probably see what they are from the pictures.

I don't know how true this is for everyone, but I think a lot of feet are pretty standardized. I needed a foot for piping, and my mother just picked up one at Joann. The foot is a Singer, and it works just fine on my Kenmore. Especially since you have a no-name brand, I'd be very surprised if it didn't play happily with most feet out there. Good luck!

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
At Joann's they sell a little pack of invisible zipper foots thats supposed to fit every type of swing machine. I know every store is different but they should be somewhere around where they keep the bobbins of thread. Hope this helps!

Rachael

A-List Customer
Dahrling,

The two feet pictured are a ribbon foot and a blind hem foot. The first is open in the front so that you can see what is going on right in front of the needle, which is very handy when apply small trim.

The blind hem foot is nice once you get the hang of it, but honestly by the time all adjustments have been made one might as well hand hem. Unless, of course, you're hemming a full skirt with a 100+" hem.

and, yes you can get an invisible zipper foot by the zippers at any good store. the white and red plastic ones are universal, and I have been using the same one on 3 different machines for years.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
You can find invisible zipper feet for Coats & Clark zippers at JoAnn's, probably Hancock's too. They're supposed to be adjustable to fit all machines, but mine is an old (vintage!) machine, and none of them worked. I finally resorted to using a regular zipper foot and just sewed very close to the zipper feet. It's worked well for me so far.

Just a tip in case yours is one of the freak machines. ;)

Mary

Practically Family
Advice on buttons

I baught this at a fleamarket and I need to sew some buttons onto it. I suppose you may think I could take my pick but I'd like to be as close to what they might have been.

Here's a picture:

byxa.jpg

The remaining tread is both black and matching blue so maybe the original ones have been replaced or maybe she has sewn some extra so they won't fall off. The fabric is cotton and kind of coarse if that's the word. I don't have any 50's dresses with buttons so I don't have any reference.

I'll be happy for your opinions!

M

Mary

Practically Family
Trouser lenght

I think they are too short and they where even shorter before. I just pulled down the pleats which were about an inch but I think they still look to short. There's plenty of fabric so I could make them longer. How long should they be?

Or was it the style that they should look too short? There where lots of shirtlenghts that was in style so maybe it was the same with trousers?

Me with pants. Blurry but I think you see the style of them. And I think they are an okey fit even if they tend to be a lot of pleats in the crotcharea when I move even the slightest. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that.Is it?

byxa006.jpg

and the length with shoes.

byxa009.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For the blue dress pick any buttons you like. Im a button fiend ;) so I say pick what strikes you. for that dress, Id pick a cap button, of about the same color, something that blends, but that is me.

As for the trousers, yeah, they are too short. I dont like pooling in my pants, but I find you have to have a bit so you dont like like you are wearing high waters when you walk. Id let them down enough to start to drape over the shoe.

Let us know what you decide!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy