Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sex in the media

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Today I was listening to PAUL HARVEY (good day!) on the radio...what a suprise...

"Keeping the content clean is also a big draw. I know I'm tired of being barraged with sexually explicit imagery in advertising, movies and TV, as well as entertainers' continual attempts at shocking the public with foul language and gratuitous displays of nipple. Plenty of folks are seeking a respite from the media mess"

You are right!

Paul Harvey said the American public is getting tired of the rampant sexuality, the openess of the subject. and nothing left to the imagination.

Well...why do you think so many people are attracted to "Retro" films, the 40's look, and the ladies who are flirty and not dirty!

Supposedly, Coca-Cola and other big corporations are taking notice that hard core in your face sex doesn't sell, we are tired of it.

Paul Harvey said that is why drug companies are selling so many of the "little blue pills"....men need the stimulation. Their excited imaginations are dead.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
My 'Right On The Money' meter just pegged out and exploded, Andykev.

I no longer own a TV, if that's any indication of how tired I am of mass media. I plan on putting a DVD drive in my computer and getting a Netflix account if I ever have the time and spare cash...that should keep me entertained.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Other than news and documentries, we rarely watch TV in our home too. We finally canceled our subscription to TV Guide.

Especially with small kids, we are not wanting to have a lot of junk playing for them. DVDs allow us to choose what is seen in our home.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family

I think Paul Harvey is a bit of a crank and a whinner, but he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s on the mark here.

I hate to be the one to say this?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ but I told you so. We cut the cable 2 years ago and everyone said we were crazy. Now more people are doing it.

They wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t block the channels we wanted, we couldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get the channels we asked for and they never fixed the patch that ran from the phone pole to our house so the quality was lacking.

We did the easiest thing?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ we stopped paying the bill and when the phone calls came we explained why. Surprise?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ you thought I was bluffing!

The focus is more on ?¢‚Ǩ?ìGetting Laid?¢‚Ǩ? then having relationships. The media?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to blame. From what I remember (and I have no first hand experinece or am I able to observe this?¢‚Ǩ¬¶) MTV and most of the media is to blame. For ratings you have to push the envelope.

Also, style is pushed in the wrong direction. Girls are influenced to dress like prostitutes and then they wonder why boys won?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t respect them and put their hands all over them like a newly found hovito idol.

?¢‚Ǩ?ìAnd now?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ the rest?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ of the story?¢‚Ǩ?

I think Paul Harvey is a bit of a crank and a whinner, but he?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s on the mark with this one.

havershaw

Practically Family
Ren-
I check in with MTV from time to time, in hopes that they'll play something where someone actually sings. (They don't.) You're right in that MTV is greatly to blame for many of the things you've mentioned - but to me, I'm more appalled by the glamorization of material goods (you know, "bling bling"). rap videos are nothing more than a showcase of their fancy cars, fifteen pounds of hanging gold and diamonds, and getting it on. There's virtually no worth to 95% of the videos MTV shows. The "you're no one if you don't have money" thing bothers me more than the sex..which also bothers me.
You know, we have a thirteen-year-old boy stay with us three days a week, every other week. We heavily monitor what he watches. At thirteen, I think some r-rated films are OK, but I don't let him watch any films I haven't watched first, so that I know what's coming and can decide whether or not I'm comfortable showing him certain films. There is only one TV in the house, and he can't watch it unless we are aware of what he's watching. My children will NOT have televisions in their bedrooms until I think they're old enough to handle anything I can handle.
Ren, I commend your having 'pulled the plug' - something I could never do, as I wouldn't have Turner Classic Movies anymore. That would hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany