Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sexy lingerie

Louise Anne

Suspended
Oh I bet this title gets people looking..lol

Seriously I been thinking about this for a while.
I have a original 1950 plain white cotton bullet bra in my collection (photo below) I expect it did the job just fine , however when you compared the fabric it's made from to modern ones this one has nothing going for it at all , even modern reproduction vintage ones lace from secrets and lace are loads better fabric wise.

Yet back in 1950 it must have been well normal and I expect seen by both men and women as sexy.
Have thing changed for the better or worse?

1950bra.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
You made me look ;)

I don't know. I know bras have definitely changed, they are more of a natural shape nowadays. But as far as lingerie goes, I think the only thing that has changed is the lean towards trashy. I can still find really beautiful, classy things new but I also see new things that pull on inspiration from vintage stuff but that look and feel cheap. Fabrics are a whole other story though. I want silk and it's tough to find sometimes.

I'm not a big fan of Victoria's Secret, let's just say that. :)

rue

Made me look too! lol

Utility wise, I would guess that things have changed for the worse. I think undergarments were made to make you look great in your clothes back then, now it's about what you look like when you take them off. I would also guess that the sexy stuff was kept in the drawer until you put it on for the... um.... big moment, so to speak.

When I started dressing vintage, I noticed that my regular lingerie wasn't going to work with what I was wearing, so I had to buy things that would. The FL helped a lot with that :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Bras and girdles in the Era tended to be designed for function more than form. The more delicate, fancier, more bedroomy pieces were things like chemises and nightgowns and some types of slips.

As far as functional fabric goes, Lastex was being widely used by the thirties, but it wasn't very durable and tended to get stretched out before its time. And then the war came along and the rubber supply was restricted, so the raw materials to make Lastex were impossible to get, as were silk and nylon -- all they had to work with during those years was cotton and a limited amount of rayon, which pretty much dictated that undies would be functional and little else for the duration. It isn't really until after the war that you notice everyday underwear starting to get more foofy in its design.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
As far as whether things have changed for better or worse... For function, definitely worse. Stockings, garters, and slips are made horribly in high street stores (where you can find them), because its clear they are made for one purpose. Most bras have little support and look awful under clothes, though they may look nice on. Bras that do have support are usually ridiculously padded these days, too.

I think Golden Era smalls are quite sexy, actually, especially compared to modern advancements (can you say pantyhose?) Long line bras, girdles, boned waist cinchers... They may look and be utilitarian, but they take on an appeal when they're being worn. ;)

Louise Anne

Suspended
I think Golden Era smalls are quite sexy, actually, especially compared to modern advancements (can you say pantyhose?) Long line bras, girdles, boned waist cinchers... They may look and be utilitarian, but they take on an appeal when they're being worn. ;)

Is that a thumbs down for panyhose, in there defense I spent 30 years wondering how ladies did wear them all day then I realised one size or even three sizes s,m,l does not fit all and I should just find XL .

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Is that a thumbs down for panyhose, in there defense I spent 30 years wondering how ladies did wear them all day then I realised one size or even three sizes s,m,l does not fit all and I should just find XL .

Yes that's a thumbs down, with a passion. They are horrid. Why deal with red marks from the waistband, feeling the seat of them slip down, or trapping sweat in your bits when you can eliminate all those problems with stockings and garters? Besides, stockings are sexy, and pantyhose are not.

Finding sizes in stockings would probably be much easier, Paul!

I've run across pieces (slips, etc.) that were artfully decorated with handmade lace, etc. which I assume was done by the lady in question. I am sure that ladies felt very sexy wearing that.

That sounds lovely, and its all the nicer for having done it yourself. :)

wahine

Practically Family
I also give pantyhose thumbs down, really hate them. The only reason to wear them is when wearing a very sheer skirt or dress that would show the garters too much. The old undies have a special appeal to them for sure. You like a nice present to be packed thoroughly and with high quality wrapping, don't you?
Also slipdresses & underskirts were so much more pretty in the past then they are today (at least what I see in stores today can't be compared with the old stuff).

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
ITA with all of you, I have not worn pantyhose in at least 20 years. They're unattractive and miserably uncomfortable. Stockings & garters all the way!

I agree with everyone else that function has definitely taken a backseat to form, but I think old-style knickers are quite lovely.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Could it be that the bare-leg fad is finally coming to an end? It's about time -- nothing is sadder than the sight of bare-legged fashionistas shivering in the January slush.

Well, "they" say that Princess Katherine brought hosiery back, so I suspect it will become the next big trend. I didn't see it leave the 9 to 5 crowd though - Most of the women are still wearing their semi-opaque pantyhose with their knee length tapered skirts.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I don't think so either, although i can see why women who are used to wearing tights, would be fond of the opaque black ones that they all seem to wear. They do cover a multitude of sins. I personally hate tights as they are so uncomfortable, i'm short so the blooming things when i pulll them up are halfway up my chest. Gross! I haven't worn them for years. I also find stockings more durable and cost effective as i just keep odd ones, when the other has laddered and make up pairs!

I agree with Forthworgal, i think old fashioned knickers are lovely, i have some great french knickers and what my son calls my 'bloomers', which are some fifties french knickers with a lace frill round the leg. They actually reach past mid-thigh on me so on the rare occasion i haven't worn a slip and there has been a gust of wind, modesty has prevailed and it has looked like i was wearing a frilly half slip. Plus no VPL either which has to be a bonus.

Kishtu

Practically Family
LizzieMaine, in Lancashire we have an expression I'm rather partial to - "corned-beef legs" - says it all I think about those poor, sad, mottled legs. Bare legs in winter = not good. Likewise going out without one's coat in late autumn but that's a whole other story...

Yesterday I was wearing my CC41-pattern black wool dress and couldn't get into my wardrobe to get my garter belt (ahem, another long story, involves a small boy and door handles...) so I had to wear thick black tights with it. I'm nearly six feet tall and I HATE tights. Gusset about knee level the whole day. Bah. And they looked just so, so, so very WRONG with that dress....

"Pop socks" I can not get to grips with. And the point of same is...? If you want to wear socks, wear socks. If you want to wear stockings, wear stockings. There is no hybrid. Seriously.

Back OT, I read in someone's biography - but can't remember whose! - that a main street shop in a small town in England had to take down its lingerie display in the 50s because too many boys (of all ages...) were cluttering up the pavement outsid the shop ogling the mannequins! So I guess the forbidden fruit value of lingerie gave it serious appeal even regardless of its aesthetics.

If period underwear wasn't attractive, I would have had no problems at all getting access to my wardrobe :D

Louise Anne

Suspended
i have some great french knickers and what my son calls my 'bloomers',

If you ask on the high street where i live anytoday for a pair of French Knickers they come out looking very pleases ( that's the sales assistant) with what you can only describe as shorts, nothing at all likethe ones Miss Sofia describes.
I think shops should read forums like this and here what's in demand.

Louise Anne

Suspended
it's one thing saying " sorry we do not stock them" another saying these are what you looking for when your not..
One thing I learned when working in shops is to say that you do not know what's been asked for early on if you do not, at least that way you gain some trust and can ask question to the customer, and then maybe point them in the right direction apart from learning something yourself!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy