Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sexy lingerie

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The thing with glamour/advertising photos is that they seldom show the garments as-worn. It was more common to wear the knickers *over* the girdle/garter belt than under, simply because it was easier to deal with bathroom eventualities that way -- but photos taken for the purpose of modeling corsetry tended to show it the other way around so as to display all the girdle's many features. Either that or all those catalog gals were going commando.

There was an ad campaign for Spencer Corsets, c. 1939, which showed the "before" photo looking like the way an ordinary woman would look in her underwear, as realistic a depiction of such as I've ever seen in an ad, and the "after" photo was of the perfectly-arranged-and-airbrushed model in her new Spencer, looking sleek and streamlined without a bump or a wrinkle. Studio Technique was with us long before Photoshop came along.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I don't think so either, although i can see why women who are used to wearing tights, would be fond of the opaque black ones that they all seem to wear. They do cover a multitude of sins. I personally hate tights as they are so uncomfortable, i'm short so the blooming things when i pulll them up are halfway up my chest. Gross! I haven't worn them for years. I also find stockings more durable and cost effective as i just keep odd ones, when the other has laddered and make up pairs!

I have always worn tights - fine ones for work and opaques in Winter - lovely as stockings are they are not something I ever got into (the fear of walking down to the office and one of them drifting off down to my ankle - the horror! Worrying about ladders was stressful enough) although I think they are a lot prettier than regular pantyhose/tights. If I do wear tights I buy Marie Claires (THE best - sooooooo sheer) or Wolford for opaques - they are just pure quality. My friend used to buy them and I thought she was mental paying that much for tights but I bought some and they last and last.

I agree with you ladies that the majority of High Street lingerie stores stock rubbish undies - La Senza I think is the worst - undies and bras that turn to cheesewire after one wash.

For me M&S has the best underwear - lovely things that fit so well and survive many, many washes - plus are super pretty - I find it had to just buy one set when I go in!

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
You are right Lizzie, it's me who likes to see things in order, not sure if it's the collector or engineer in me who like to see drawings and photos of how things should be put together and in which order they go lol.

I agree with you about Wolford for opaques Miss Golightly they are 4 or five time the price of decent opaques but last 4 or 5 time longer if not more and look better on so you breat even really, it's just the courage to pay that annount in the forst place, roll on sale time is what I always say.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
BTW Miss Golightly your pm box is full!

Oops! Thanks for letting me know Paul - I've just done a bit of a Spring clean there!;)

Glad to see I'm not the only Wolford lover - they are quite expensive here though - I went to buy them in Brown Thomas (our biggest department store) and it turned out they were €10 cheaper to buy on ASOS plus had free delivery so you know where I ended up getting them from! It pays to shop around....

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Whren i wore tights, i did splurge on some Wolford's and i have to say they were the most superior brand. Lasted for ages, and i'm heavy on my hosiery! I do have a couple of Wolford bodies, which are brilliant and have been going strong for about five years. So comfortable and with three quarter sleeves, so perfect for circle skirts and what not. (Expensive, but again, cost per wear renders them more than good value).

Louise Anne

Suspended
They say you cannot teach a old dog new tricks, I think in my case that's true becuse I am now 49 and since the age of 15 I have always worn tights or sheer pantyhose :eek: I agree that they might not be the most comfortable but over the years I have just got so used to them and any thing else feels so strange.
I know it goes against the grain here I prefer just them :eek::eek::eek:.

When I started collecting vintage I did have to make the effort to start wear stocking or nylons becuse they are period correct and to be honest with the right foundation wear they are Ok and comfortable.

I do not wear vintage all the time.

For a short time I did switch over to stocking only a few month ago with my modern clothes, I now tend to wear modern shorter styles of skirts and dresses stocking were a little inappropriate and showing a little too much so now I switched back to my tights and pantyhose with modern clothes.
I also do wear a lot of wolfed and also M& S becuse of the sizes,I not keen on either of these brands of stocking.

With stocking and vintage I tend to wear original vintage ones as they so much nicer to wear but size 11 and 12 are a little hart to come by especial with ff seamed.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
For a short time I did switch over to stocking only a few month ago with my modern clothes, I now tend to wear modern shorter styles of skirts and dresses stocking were a little inappropriate and showing a little too much so now I switched back to my tights and pantyhose with modern clothes.

That's another reason why many people now likely prefer pantyhose - Modern skirts are too short for stockings. Even with ones just above the knee, I don't see how you could crouch or sit down cross-legged without giving a peep show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy