Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your favourite Jazz

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Jazzman said:
I’ve been reading some great comments from everyone here regarding the music. I wanted to let you know about two recent acquisitions to my library that I highly recommend.

Kenny Burrell’s “Soul Call” (Prestige)
Harold Land Sextet “West Coast Blues” (Fantasy-Dist.)

Jazzman,

Listening to Kenny Burrell’s “Soul Call” audio clips from Amazon right now... LOVIN' it! :D Thanks man, gonna have to check eBay for this one on vinyl. Good taste.

Favorite jazz guitar LPs:

0077778415459_small.jpg
B0000296TC.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
BN_Midnight_Blue.png

Grant Green - "Idle Moments"
Wes Montgomery - "Portrait of Wes"
Kenny Burrell - "Midnight Blue"

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Jazzman

New in Town
Thanks for the comments and suggestions regarding artists and albums.

I have a story I'd like to share as I had the great opportunity to meet Dizzy Giilespie once.

In 1988 my wife and I were traveling to the South Pacific and we were waiting at LAX for our connecting flight. My wife had fallen asleep as it was around 2:00am. I happened to be reading a biography of Luis Bunuel (great film maker by the way) when I looked up to see Mr. Gillespie at the ticket counter checking in with his trumpet case. It turns out he sat three rows in front of us. As we were disembarking in Papetee, I stopped to shake his hand and speak with him briefly (he was staying onboard to continue on to Auckland). He was a polite and gracious man who spoke softly and it was a wonderful moment for my wife and I.

I just wanted to share that with everyone as I’m sure there are a lot of Dizzy fans here.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In the Jazz vein...

Long before there was Rap, there was one cool daddy cat, who was known throughout the realm as the Hip Aristocrat - Lord Buckley! "The coolest, hippest, most soulful cat dat evah padded two feet across mudda oith"

-dixon cannon

Jazzman

New in Town
I wanted to pass these tips along regarding Jazz (Swing in paticular) and OTR (Old Time Radio). You may be well aware of this (I haven’t explored all of the lounge yet) but thought if you weren’t, you’d really enjoy it.

Kingdom Of Swing:

http://www.live365.com/stations/yankaroo

Crimetime:

http://www.live365.com/stations/otrnow

I believe you can listen for free by just clicking the “Play” button on each page. I move between these two stations and they pretty much cover everything for me. There are other stations running comedy and drama as well to so just search around under the “OTR” designation. It really sets the mood in my place.

By the way, I have a 1949 bakelite Sylvania radio in great condition and I’m just trying to figure how to run the stations through it as that would be the really authentic sound! Any suggestions?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Glad to see this thread resurrected ...

On one of my rare listenings to Duke Ellington, i heard (for the first time in a number of years) the original recording of Cottontail. Ben Webster! Such *almost* unbelievable force. How did the horn stand up to his onslaught?

bk
AND, though a lot of people bash the r&b-tinged records he sometimes made in the early 50s, I think thats great stuff.... Man, from those Mercury sides he did with Johnny Otis, the stark loneliness of his huge tenor sound playing "stardust" in a DEEP echoing studio, with NO acompaniment other than the bass, is The END!! He OWNS the song, Great to listen in the light-up juke with all the lights out... (Sorry Frankie, hope second best is good enough...)

And that poor Selmer tenor sax got passed on to Dexter Gordon after Ben was done with it, for another good onslaught :) (the one he used in the movie Round Midnight) I wonder where that horn is now... HMMMMM............

man I gotta get back to work (Fedora Lounge is evil, Evil...)

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Wild Root said:
I really dig Lester Young... I'm sure you guys have seen "Jammin' The Blues" before but, who could see it enough times right?

=WR=

Lester's the man! I just got Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson Trio. That is a stunning album.

Jammin' the Blues is good. Wish they hadn't dubbed it, though.

The recent DVD release of Jammin' also has all the available film of Charley Parker - some with Hawkins - and some of the Miles Davis Miles Ahead recording sessions with Gil Evans. Again, mostly unfortunately dubbed. There is a rendition of Hot House with Dizzy which is great and is live, as it were. And all the Davis stuff is not dubbed.

bk

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
MP3: Swing High (complete)

Here's an MP3 of the complete version of Tommy Dorsey's "Swing High" from 1941, one of his hottest numbers! Another truly outstanding (as usual) arrangement by Sy Oliver.

If you haven't heard it before, or if you ever need a little pick-me-up, just click the link in the signature of any of my posts... (Just cleared up some webspace to replace the short excerpt with the full piece)

Swing High,

- Cousin Hepcat

Wild Root

Gone Home
I've got that 78 too! It blew me away when I first put it on! The "Sentimental Gentleman of swing" was known for his soft romantic stuff but, man, that band could really go to town when they felt like it!

=WR=

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
I've got that 78 too! It blew me away when I first put it on! The "Sentimental Gentleman of swing" was known for his soft romantic stuff but, man, that band could really go to town when they felt like it!
Great minds think alike lol

Swing High,
- Cousin Hepcat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou