Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Share your own art here :)

Why have so many people taken offense to me giving my opinion? As far as I am aware I didn't say 'I see photoshop as cheating - you're all cheats' which is what most of you have taken what I said to mean. How very confusing.

I don't like using digital media. I don't like the music of the Spice Girls, doesn't mean I'm having a go at all their fans [huh]

Yes, I said calm down, because noone has any right to have a go at me for expressing my opinion which I am not saying is the right or the wrong way, just my opnion. Is that ok? I really can't believe how uptight certain people have got about what I said :rolleyes:

And Dahrling - I love those pics!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Pip, Desi & Dolly!!

Dolly - I am sorry if you felt I was having a go at you, I was not, I promise. But I do think it s an interesting discussion , with many different subjective opinions, that are all true because thats what the person feels.

:)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
desi_de_lu_lu said:
This debate is as old as the hills.. digital art vs. analog art? LOL
I tip my hat to those that can learn the programs enough to manipulate all those electrons to come up with 'art'. I can't do it well enough.
Like Maj. Nick said, it takes less time to do something by hand than it would on the computer.

For me though, it has to do with value. I know the digital artists out there would throw rocks at me for saying this, but I can't see comparing a painting done by one of the masters that has been around for ages, to a series of ones and zeros manipulated to produce an electronic image which is only as good as its shelf life. I.E. Archival quality. (I am talking here of the image before it is printed).

And back on topic, Darhling, your photographs are amazing. I normally tend to think that pictures of architecture taken by an amateur are bland, but yours are pretty unique. :D
Yes traditional art has, and will always stand the test of time. And the software allows us to do amazing things in no time at all. :) I think I posted a photoshopped image here somewhere that would not have been possible in only a few minutes using conventional film techniques. Can't be beat for making those "old" faded and sepia toned prints.
(Darhling I like your stuff too :) All taken in your home town?)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Maj.Nick Danger!

Yes they are all taken in Copenhagen.

The chairs pic is taken in Glyptoteket, the palm tree pic is from the Winter Garden in the same museum.

The big window grid and the escalator pic is from inside the Black Diamond (the royal library in Copenhagen) which is VERY famous for its exterior, thats why I thought it would be interesting to shoot from the inside and out on the view where everybody normally looks in!

The colored escalator pic is from the metro - my fave actually.

The steel pillars is from underneath one of the bridges that connects Copenhagen with Amager. I really like the way light reflects of steel.

Here is the link of the website I did with some of the pics http://www.designbym.dk/1.html?FUIComponentClass=[type+Function]&FCheckBoxClass=[type+Function] just click on different text under 'Billeder' but I have taken hundreds more! lol

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rufus said:
That's a great sketch Lady Day!

Good use of light to convey mood and character.

In Photoshop there's various filters like 'Colour Burn', (in the drop down menu on Layers) If you add a light white airbrush layer over your line art, then a coloured layer on 'Colour Burn' it'll add some cool effects.

Apologies If that's a bad explanation... I'm no computer guru! :) Rufus

Thanks.

I try not to use much of the filters and such in PS. I stick to the paint tools (making my own brushes), some light masking, and the magic wand is my friend. Most of the other stuff looks so 'photoshop'. I feel the painting or enhancements to the drawing should look of the drawing, and not more hyper realistic then the original work you are enhancing. Seeing that stuff is always a give.

LD

Oh for goodness sake, why on earth are you taking it all so personally Quigley Brown? I'm sorry but I am yet to see anyone say anything bad about your work.

Geez. I personally like *some* of your work, not all of it, but *some*, same as I like *some* of Frank Auerbachs paintings, just because he is my personal favourite doesn't mean I have to like everything he does. Quite frankly, your attitude is putting me off. Much the same as Tracey Emin has her moments, but her attitude makes me want to cry.

Noone on earth likes everything, and it'd be a damn crappy world if everyone liked the same thing.

Get over it.

Rufus

Practically Family
DDD, I wasn't trying to be rude before.. was said with tongue firmly in cheat.

Art is art, whether you make it with a pencil or wacom. I do find it funny the value judgements people make on perceptions of 'real art'... but hey what do I know? ;-)

Darhling, Lovely photos, with striking compositions!

I wish I could use a camera properly and with panache (Like Mr Brown), but despite the ability to draw, I produce some astonishingly lacklustre pictures!

Many's the time people have handed me cameras expecting me to produce a good shot for them... only to regret that decision! :)

For myself, the advantages of digital art are speed, flexibility and the ability to go back and alter easily composition or colour values (Which in publishing, is often). I love painting... but it's difficult to often get the 'real' painting to reproduce in print as it does in 'flesh'.

Right.. back to work for me..

Good evening all!

rufus

Rufus

Practically Family
I've done it again....

Lord.. why can't I spell???

At least you can rely on me for laughs!

;-) Ruf

Rufus

Practically Family
Err yeah, no...

I need to photoshop my spell check..

This is why us dyslexics become artists.. to avoid writing.. :)

I'll try for witty next time...

R

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I have found that expressing ones dislikes for any art form leads to the same never-ending back and forth you find in any Ford/Chevy, Mac/PC, my grandchild/your grandchild discussion between two dissenting opinions. Therefore, I avoid it in my own detatched, yet part-of-it, way.

I've personally landed myself in trouble by engaging in such arguments a few too many times (except for the grandchild one, since I haven't even kids, let alone a second-generation of them lol). So, I just look at what's in front of me, compliment that which I like and say nothing about those I don't or am indifferent to, and enjoy the show from the sidelines.

I consider any creativity that comes from the mind of anyone who considers themselves an artist, manipulated in any way, shape or form for the purpose of expressing an idea (yes, I include writing, television; even graffiti, at times) to be an art form. If it pleases me, great! If it doesn't, I'll hope that it'll please someone else and move on to the next one.

------------------​

QB is, in my opinion, the master of digital photographic manipulation: He's both subtle and bold at the same time. His manipulations add a touch of humor to his photos that only he could provide. His images of himself, manipilated or not, make me smile and laugh every time I see them. His humor and personality shine through his art. Not to mention the fact that he, himself, much like dancing, is the art.

LD's method is, if I recall correctly, pencil to paper to computer, for the most part. I love that her manipulations come straight out of her pen, by way of a short trip through her arm on its way down from her extremely talented mind, and are then scanned into the computer for fine-tuning and then for all to see. Her work, too, makes me smile and laugh: As with QB, it's because her personality shows through her work. I've met LD, so I know that it's really her in those images. (I've never met QB, so the jury's still out. ;):D)

There have been days when one or the other has posted an image that brightened an otherwise dreary day for me. Thank you, QB and LD.

Other art that I've had the pleasure to view on this thread has also moved me in one direction or another. But regardless of where it sent me - up or down, left or right, somewhat diagonally - however I felt about the method or madness used to create it, I held a deep respect for the art and its creator. And I'd hold an even deeper respect if it was something I knew that I could never do myself.

------------------​

As for me, I'm pretty much a straight-image photography guy: Not for viewing the work of others, but for doing with my own. I can neither draw a straight line on paper with a ruler, nor have I even attempted to master computer manipulation of my images because, every time I try, the results are disastrous. For those reasons, my hat goes off to both QB and LD, and to every other artist with the courage in their heart to show their work for the delight (or otherwise) of others, manipulated or not.

My aim with my photography is to get the best image I can within the camera so that I don't have to spend a lot of time correcting it after it's been unceremoniously yanked from my camera and thrown onto my screen. My manipulations are basically limited to the sort of things I would do in a photographic darkroom: contrast, cropping, burning and dodging, etc.

In conclusion, the photo below is about as close to perfect-from-the-camera as I've ever gotten: Only the contrast has been changed - and not by much, at that - and a few spots I didn't like removed! Taken two days ago. :D

MK-Falcon-back-2-DSC_8065.jpg

I thank you all for showing us your art and expressing your opinions.

Cheers,
Lee

alexandra

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
I don't like the music of the Spice Girls, doesn't mean I'm having a go at all their fans

You start down that road and it'll be the end of you, you hear me! You'll rue the day!

Kishtu

Practically Family
b446c9cf.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm sad or not that that's the only photo I have left from when I used to illustrate the magazine.
It's the old graveyard in St Austell, Cornwall - view from the railway station side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters