Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sharp Crease Felt Fix

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I posted a thread a while back on this problem I experienced, but can't find it, so here's the situation and how I fixed it.

I have an Akubra Sydney (AKA Fedora) in charcoal that I was using to practice how I planned to bash a Fed IV Deluxe before it arrived.

So, I put a sharp crease in the front. The soft felt of the Sydney really won't hold any kind of bash, so I really pinched it hard with my fingers to see what that would look like.

When the Fed got here, I put a pinch-front telescope with a very sharp front crease, and it looked great. Practice on the Sydney makes perfect, so I punched it back into the traditional center-crease, soft front pinch bash.

But where the sharp crease used to be, the felt was all smooshed down and sort of shiny. No amount of brushing would take it out. Bummer!

I know this seems like a no-brainer solution, but no one suggested it in the earlier post: I wet the affected area with distilled water and allowed it to ALMOST dry. Then I simply took a vacuum cleaner, put the upholstery attachment on the end of the hose, and let it suck full force while working the bristles on the attachment in the proper, counterclockwise direction.

It took several cycles of this technique to get all vestiges of the damage out, but it worked.

The Sydney/Fedora is a wonderfully soft, lightweight, and comfortable hat with a premium roan sweatband, but unlike other Akubra felts, it is somewhat delicate. So, moral of the story: Put the traditional fedora bash in it, and leave it alone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy