Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Sharper pics) EXTREME SUIT MAKEOVER

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

I love to take old suits and restore them to their former glory.

Here's one I just picked up: a double-breasted, belted back suit from the 1930s, with a windowpane pattern. (See link below.) One of the previous owners moved the jacket's buttons and widened the trouser's waistline in order to accomodate his girth. Moths had some fun with it, too. And it needs a good drycleaning.

So here's what I'm gonna do. My wife, who is going to visit Santiago, Chile next week, will take the suit with her. There's a Japanese reweaver in Santiago who does incredible work at a very reasonable price: he'll make those moth holes disappear. When my wife returns with the suit repaired, I'll take it to the "French Hand Laundry" in Pasadena. They're experts at cleaning vintage fabrics. Finally, I'll move the jacket's buttons back to their original, correct positions; I'll also take the trousers in at the waist. Result? A fine suit that will be appreciated anew. And here it is, BEFORE the planned makeover:

http://www.thefedoralounge.net/showpost.php?p=96733&postcount=10

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-20s-30s...398744256QQcategoryZ52383QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When the makeover is complete, I'll post "after" photos here.

Grimstar

Familiar Face
That looks like it was, at one time, a very nice suit...and I'm sure you will make it one again. :) But whoever let those trousers out at the waist did a really bad job of it, hopefully you'll be able to remove all of that. I do love the material...I wish I could find more fabrics like that!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Grimstar said:
But whoever let those trousers out at the waist did a really bad job of it, hopefully you'll be able to remove all of that.

My waist size is 33, so I should be able to remove that weird patchwork job from the trouser seat, and take the whole thing in. I'm pretty sure that the trousers were originally a size 34. Right now, they're a 40!

Grimstar

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
My waist size is 33, so I should be able to remove that weird patchwork job from the trouser seat, and take the whole thing in. I'm pretty sure that the trousers were originally a size 34. Right now, they're a 40!

yep...from the sellers description, it sounds like they were originally a 32 or 34, so you should be able to put them right back where they belong :) I look forward to seeing it restored to it's former glory!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
In case the photos disappear from eBay (as they sometimes do), here they are. I've sharpened them up a bit with Photoshop.

makeover8.jpg

makeover1.jpg

makeover9_edited-1.jpg

makeover5.jpg

makeover4.jpg

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
The buttons are unique, their close stance reminds me of a Jazz suit, same thing with the lapels. Really cool piece. I know it'll be restored to its glory.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The buttons are bakelite; their color is best described as "caramel". I'm pretty sure that they're original to the suit, but I don't like them much.

Interestingly, the close stance of the jacket's buttons is not original to this suit. A previous owner gained weight, and moved the buttons in order to make the jacket fit him better. I'm going to move the buttons back to their original places.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Huh? (I don't get it.)

If you're thinking that I intend to resell it on eBay, the answer is "nope". I wear a size 39-40R, and this suit will fit me just right. I suspect that its original size was a 40 L. I wouldn't resell the suit until I'd enjoyed it for several years at least. Would you like me to put you chaps on the waiting list? ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not a bum I am familiar with...

I applaud your ability to look at an object like that and see it's potential. I see only the holes, the schmutz. You are good!

btw: I'm a 46R.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Marc do you know how 're-weaving' is done ?
do they have to cut a small patch of the fabric from a bit of spare seam and blend it in ?
or do they pick threads that match and build it from scratch ?

we have 'invisible menders' in england but they are very pricey...about £30 a hole.

i have my own method of dealing with small moth holes that involves the use of wundaweb. i'm an artist with that stuff, you should see me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner